Hammock
    WBB XLC
    Tarp
    winterdream 11ft
    Insulation
    HG stuff
    Suspension
    becket straps
    I just use it as a saddlebag,because its material its always going to drop down with weight put in it, but its very useful for my hat, my crocs when I get in my hammock, the Foxes nick them if I leave them out under me when garden hanging (yep they come right up to my hammock)spare pillow etc, very useful bit of extra room

Dave

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Bear Butt
    Insulation
    Trail Winder UQ
    Quote Originally Posted by rhjanes View Post
    "Shelf" probably doesn't happen often. First you have to have the tarp quite high and the hammock low to be able to pull the "Shelf" out close to horizontal. Putting much beside glasses and a headlamp and it's heading down. I use a Ridge Line Organizer for glasses, ear plugs, eye cover (on if the moon is half or more), maybe IPOD. The "shelf" gets the H2O, book, maybe gloves if I think I'll want them in the night. I don't even both to stake it out.
    Are you running the shelf thru the tarp? Or are you just saying that the shelf cannot be horizontal with the tarp in place because of space limitations. I've not actually had to use a tarp on the last two trips, as it was bone dry. Although...now that I've said that, I realize that the tarp will help with the cold. Like I said, I'm a newbie to all this (honestly I'm kinda new to camping). I got into it because I loved the outdoors but hated tents.

Will make a Ridgeline organizer soon. Thanks for mentioning those (Might make one that holds that cumbersome nalgene too). I've also heard tale of people putting boiling water in their nalgene and when it cools down enough, putting it on their femoral artery. Might give that a shot for warmth.

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    No, not running the shelf out thru the tarp. In a storm I pitch the tarp low to the ground and the shelf has to stake out under the tarp, or very near it. If you raise the tarp side you can run the shelf stake out farther out, but the trade off is potential wetness. basically the shelf tie-out will be under the tarp. The shelf is just a way to give you a place for "stuff". There is also the ridge line organizers. I don't put anything heavy in them at all. On my hammocks with no "shelf", I have some Peak-Bags. Up in the peak/gathered-end, but still inside the hammock with you. Those are good places for a water bottle.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Bear Butt
    Insulation
    Trail Winder UQ
    Quote Originally Posted by hangerdave View Post
    I just use it as a saddlebag,because its material its always going to drop down with weight put in it, but its very useful for my hat, my crocs when I get in my hammock, the Foxes nick them if I leave them out under me when garden hanging (yep they come right up to my hammock)spare pillow etc, very useful bit of extra room

Dave
    Good to know!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Bear Butt
    Insulation
    Trail Winder UQ
    Quote Originally Posted by rhjanes View Post
    No, not running the shelf out thru the tarp. In a storm I pitch the tarp low to the ground and the shelf has to stake out under the tarp, or very near it. If you raise the tarp side you can run the shelf stake out farther out, but the trade off is potential wetness. basically the shelf tie-out will be under the tarp. The shelf is just a way to give you a place for "stuff". There is also the ridge line organizers. I don't put anything heavy in them at all. On my hammocks with no "shelf", I have some Peak-Bags. Up in the peak/gathered-end, but still inside the hammock with you. Those are good places for a water bottle.
    Ok. That makes more sense. I just learned about the peak bags earlier, gonna give those a look, as well as making a ridgline organizer that works for a bottle.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Bear Butt
    Insulation
    Trail Winder UQ
    Thank you everyone for the suggestions and advance. I'm going out again in two days to camping again, and feel I'm better armed for the hang.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You can see the proper shelf set-up in the video below at 1:15 in.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Bear Butt
    Insulation
    Trail Winder UQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    You can see the proper shelf set-up in the video below at 1:15 in.
    Shug

Thank you!

Of course. You would have thought I would have you know...watched the videos that warbonnet released...but alas I missed this one.

BTW, I used to do circus up in the Chicago area...I keep wondering if we know some of the same folks...it's such a tiny community and all.

Please keep the videos coming, they are a source of endless joy for my wife and I.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Bear Butt
    Insulation
    Trail Winder UQ
    Greetings all. I took the advice given, and my wife and I had a lovely time. Figured out a few issues and why they were happening, but we wouldn't have been able to enjoy the experience as much without you all. Thanks a million

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12