Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Bear Butt
    Insulation
    Trail Winder UQ

New hanger is a little "lost in the woods"

Hello all,
    I am a little stumped and didn't know where to turn (and then I realized I should turn to you all)

I recently (as of 2 months ago) got into hammock camping. That first night I tossed and turned in my terrible amazon hammock, until I found a sweet spot, and then I understood what the fuss was about.

That said I woke up the next morning and bought a Warbonnet XLC (double layer). I recently upgraded the webbing buckle suspension ( I had ENO Atlas straps, but hated the daisy chain set up, and I felt I had limited control over the distance and angle of hang). So that's all set

Now the questions (Sorry it took me long to get there, my ADHD meds haven't kicked in yet and I keep being distracted by....OH LOOK A SQUIRREL)

Every time I have tried to stake out the shelf... I fail. It never sits as a shelf, and looks more like a saddle bag (hanging flush against the hammock). I had a semi full Nalgene in there, but had to take it out when I realized it was affecting the way the hammock laid. It seems no matter what I do, I cannot seem to make it function as a shelf (or at least I cannot seem to have it sitting away from the hammock). Should the shock cord be super tight? Is it about the angle you are staking it out?

The other question is this. I need to save up for an UQ (covid has had me out of work, and my cash flow is limited until I can sell my movie). In the meantime, I want to get out here in SOCAL, but cold butt has set in. My wife and I did the Costco UQ hack, and it helps a little, but I'm still chilly. What are peoples preferences on sleeping pads? I have a thin inflatable one, but it shifted on me constantly, and didn't really stay inflated. Anyone had luck with a closed cell foam?

Ok. Done rambling. I'm working on a YT channel just for you all, because this website has already helped me so much (like...two months ago I had never heard of a warbonnet). Hoping I can give back to you all.

Cheers!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    MacCat/Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Go Lite/3S Incu
    I am assuming that your inflatable pad is insulated. Place it between the two layers of your hammock and it shouldn't shift o on you.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Bear Butt
    Insulation
    Trail Winder UQ
    Quote Originally Posted by ulyssesjones View Post
    I am assuming that your inflatable pad is insulated. Place it between the two layers of your hammock and it shouldn't shift o on you.
    It is insulated. R value 2.2. I still somehow end up with it sliding to one side or the other. Maybe I'm just a restless sleeper?

Hammock
    DH FreeBird 1.2 MTN
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, Phnx
    Suspension
    WB Dynaweave
    You're just asking a little too much of the shelf on the xlc by putting a water bottle in there if you don't like it turning into a saddle bag. I would only stick a ditty bag and some spare clothes in it when sleeping and just my top quilt when lounging and it was always fine - I never got too crazy with tensioning it, but I wasn't all that put-off when it would sag; I didn't feel like it affected the lay in any way that actually mattered for my comfort.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Bear Butt
    Insulation
    Trail Winder UQ
    Quote Originally Posted by cbm9000 View Post
    You're just asking a little too much of the shelf on the xlc by putting a water bottle in there if you don't like it turning into a saddle bag. I would only stick a ditty bag and some spare clothes in it when sleeping and just my top quilt when lounging and it was always fine - I never got too crazy with tensioning it, but I wasn't all that put-off when it would sag; I didn't feel like it affected the lay in any way that actually mattered for my comfort.
    That makes a lot of sense. I think I was thrown off by the number of people pushing it with 8-10lbs of gear.

Hammock
    Dutch Netless, WBRR, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB SF / CB
    Insulation
    HG UQ's LL+HG TQ's
    Suspension
    CB's/TurtleTies

New hanger is a little "lost in the woods"

what are the low temperatures where you will be hanging.
    "When the power of Love overcomes the Love of power. The world will know peace." ~ Jimi Hendrix
    "No matter where you go, there you are." ~ Buckaroo Banzai

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Bear Butt
    Insulation
    Trail Winder UQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Black View Post
    what are the low temperatures where you will be hanging.
    Low 40's has been the lowest I've gotten. I'm in the Los Angeles area...so it never get's too cold per se.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by elnedro View Post
    It is insulated. R value 2.2. I still somehow end up with it sliding to one side or the other. Maybe I'm just a restless sleeper?
    You are putting the pad in the pad pocket(inside the double layer) and it is still sliding around on you?

A 2.2 should get you to about into the 40s OK. If you need to boost that consider a 1/2" WM blue pad, pretty cheap. Stacking two 2.6R pads in a SPE(segmented pad extender), it kept me plenty warm just below 20F. I think ENO sells a somewhat similar product. Mine(with the stacked pads) stayed put, no problems.
    Here is an example of the old(no longer available, but probably not too difficult as a DIY, and ENO's is similar) Speer SPE in a JRB James River bridge hammock:

This is using cut of WM blue pads in the "wings" and a Thermarest Ridgerest in the main body. I stacked a TR inflatable torso sized 2.6R pad on top of this 2.6R pad to sleep cozy at just below 20F many years ago.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Bear Butt
    Insulation
    Trail Winder UQ
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    You are putting the pad in the pad pocket(inside the double layer) and it is still sliding around on you?

A 2.2 should get you to about into the 40s OK. If you need to boost that consider a 1/2" WM blue pad, pretty cheap. Stacking two 2.6R pads in a SPE(segmented pad extender), it kept me plenty warm just below 20F. I think ENO sells a somewhat similar product. Mine(with the stacked pads) stayed put, no problems.
    Here is an example of the old(no longer available, but probably not too difficult as a DIY, and ENO's is similar) Speer SPE in a JRB James River bridge hammock:

This is using cut of WM blue pads in the "wings" and a Thermarest Ridgerest in the main body. I stacked a TR inflatable torso sized 2.6R pad on top of this 2.6R pad to sleep cozy at just below 20F many years ago.

I think I'm putting it in the right place. I sleep head left, feet right, and right at the head is the bug net stake out as well as the gap in the two layers of fabric to put the pad. I slid the pad down to the footbox and carefully got in. Now I should say it did not slip away much (a few inches) as compared to the cheap hammock I first used (I think that time the pad ended up under the hammock) but I did notice that it had shifted a little.
    I also think its possible that it shifted at some point while I was trying to adjust myself within the hammock.
    That said, looking at your setup, that might solve the issues I had, since the spots you have the wings are exactly where I was getting a draft.

Guess it's time to break out the sewing machine...and then have my wife remind me how to use a sewing machine (then spend 4 hours trying to sew, give up in anger, and watch my wife do what I was trying to do in ten minutes flat)

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    "Shelf" probably doesn't happen often. First you have to have the tarp quite high and the hammock low to be able to pull the "Shelf" out close to horizontal. Putting much beside glasses and a headlamp and it's heading down. I use a Ridge Line Organizer for glasses, ear plugs, eye cover (on if the moon is half or more), maybe IPOD. The "shelf" gets the H2O, book, maybe gloves if I think I'll want them in the night. I don't even both to stake it out.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast