Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

HG dyneema fly...ample coverage?

Hey guys. Just got my HG fly and subbed it out for my old Hennessy Hex. The weight savings is obviously phenomenal, and I have no reason to doubt that the fly will perform. But it does slightly concern me how much less side coverage I get from the HG. It’s shorter by 9” on either side of the ridgeline. Even their fly with doors is this narrow, which seems to defeat the point. I have it about as low as I can get it without interfering with the hammock suspension, and the sides of the fly are above my body level in the hammock. So far, it’s only seen a light drizzle. I’m definitely anxious about its first night in real weather! Anyone got any advice, or just reassuring words?90E8D74B-1F82-419D-911B-E613F24C5A88.jpg

Hammock
    DH FreeBird 1.2 MTN
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, Phnx
    Suspension
    WB Dynaweave
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaronbagby View Post
    I've seen youtuber sintax77 using this and he seems to get out quite often in rainy areas.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    It depends on what your definition of ample coverage is. In nice weather - yes. In stormy weather with wind and cold - no. The Palace is bare minimum for me in fall/winter/early spring hanging. I hate to be cold and wet so I'm after all of the coverage I can get.

Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    It depends on what your definition of ample coverage is. In nice weather - yes. In stormy weather with wind and cold - no. The Palace is bare minimum for me in fall/winter/early spring hanging. I hate to be cold and wet so I'm after all of the coverage I can get.
    Yeah I made a hasty decision here to shave some pack weight for the 2nd half of my section hike. Posted that I was in the market for a dyneema fly on the wanted forum, turned out this one was for sale and I just assumed the coverage would suffice. Honestly, this width just isn’t enough. I will likely sell it and pick up the Palace as soon as I get home. Hope I don’t get pounded with rain/wind in the next 2-3 weeks. Cheers.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    My first DCF tarp was an HG Standard with doors. I only owned it about six months before getting rid of it - I couldn't stay dry for the life of me. Then I got the HG Winter Palace - same basic size as the Warbonnet Superfly. I haven't gotten wet since!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Ive used that tarp for an entire AT Thru hike and most of the PCT- from the Sierras north.

It’s a fine tarp and is enough coverage so long as you pitch it well

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaronbagby View Post
    Hey guys. Just got my HG fly and subbed it out for my old Hennessy Hex. The weight savings is obviously phenomenal, and I have no reason to doubt that the fly will perform. But it does slightly concern me how much less side coverage I get from the HG. It’s shorter by 9” on either side of the ridgeline. Even their fly with doors is this narrow, which seems to defeat the point. I have it about as low as I can get it without interfering with the hammock suspension, and the sides of the fly are above my body level in the hammock. So far, it’s only seen a light drizzle. I’m definitely anxious about its first night in real weather! Anyone got any advice, or just reassuring words?90E8D74B-1F82-419D-911B-E613F24C5A88.jpg
    From the pic it appears you pitch it far higher over the hammock than I do. I've weathered some pretty nasty storms but with the tarp pitched right down to the hammock SRL. That's how you get the most protection with a smaller tarp.

With the tarp down low on one or both sides, the wind and rain protection can be pretty good. If you want to be able to stand under a tarp and still have coverage, you'll simply need a much larger tarp.

In this pic it was pretty windy but the tarp shielded the hammock quite effectively:

Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator20,UGQ
    Suspension
    Huggers and Amstel
    For more protection, you could zip your rain coat over the wind and rain blown side. I read this somewhere here and I thought it was a good idea if things got bad, and my rain coat would not be used for anything else while I am in my hammock during a big rain anyways.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    It that an 11' tarp, or longer?

Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    It that an 11' tarp, or longer?
    12’ tarp