Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    From the pic it appears you pitch it far higher over the hammock than I do. I've weathered some pretty nasty storms but with the tarp pitched right down to the hammock SRL. That's how you get the most protection with a smaller tarp.

With the tarp down low on one or both sides, the wind and rain protection can be pretty good. If you want to be able to stand under a tarp and still have coverage, you'll simply need a much larger tarp.

In this pic it was pretty windy but the tarp shielded the hammock quite effectively:

I’ve only got it up high because I can’t figure out how to suspend it any lower. The suspensions of the fly and hammock get in the way of each other. Even the fly itself interferes with the hammock straps before I can get it low like this

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaronbagby
    I’ve only got it up high because I can’t figure out how to suspend it any lower. The suspensions of the fly and hammock get in the way of each other. Even the fly itself interferes with the hammock straps before I can get it low like this
    The 12' tarp will cause that. You have an extra 6" on each side of the tarp over an 11' that will interfere with the hammock straps, forcing you to hang the tarp higher with that 30° angle to clear them. To get better side coverage, you'll need to have a wider tarp...which the the HG DCF Hex and Standard with doors is like 102" vs the Palace at 124" or back it down to an 11' tarp so you can lower it.

I'm guessing in cmoulder's pic it's an 11' tarp.

Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    The 12' tarp will cause that. You have an extra 6" on each side of the tarp over an 11' that will interfere with the hammock straps, forcing you to hang the tarp higher with that 30° angle to clear them. To get better side coverage, you'll need to have a wider tarp...which the the HG DCF Hex and Standard with doors is like 102" vs the Palace at 124" or back it down to an 11' tarp so you can lower it.

I'm guessing in cmoulder's pic it's an 11' tarp.

Yeah exactly. I don’t want to sacrifice any of the length coverage, so I’m gonna sell this tarp and jump up to the Palace for sure. I can’t post in the For Sale forums just yet, been here for years but not very active! Thanks for the tips. With any luck, this will keep me dry enough to finish this next 10-12 day stretch in SW Virginia till I can get home and make the jump. Some rain is inbound for a few days, but I think it’ll be mostly fair afterward.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaronbagby View Post

I have the Standard with and without doors and have weathered four days of nearly non-stop deluge on the Laurel Highlands trail without problem.

I use split RLs that run parallel to and nearly touching the hammock straps, allowing the tarp to nearly sit on the hammocks SRL. For some strange reason, many folks feel the need to have the tarp pitched level above the hammock. I am always pitched on an angle following the hammock, foot side higher and with the tarp ridge tie out almost touching the tree straps at both ends. It helps with shedding water, keeps things low and tight, less windy and more 'greenhoused' at the head end. Most often pitch with a double porch mode at the foot end which is where I always enter and exit.

I am more about the time on the trail than in camp and though I like a nice view, my hammock is for sleeping, not lounging.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Here's how I've been able to get better side coverage with my 12' HG Dyneema tarp w/doors:

When you hang the tarp, hang it just high enough to almost touch the hammock suspension, but leave it loose along the ridgeline- so it creates a "U" shape. Everything will tighten up when you stake out the sides, but it will essentially pull the ridgeline lower so you can get the tarp as low as the RL of the hammock. You won't have a flat ridgeline, but you'll be able to keep the tarp off your hammock suspension, while lowering the body of the tarp- giving you better side coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    Here's how I've been able to get better side coverage with my 12' HG Dyneema tarp w/doors:

When you hang the tarp, hang it just high enough to almost touch the hammock suspension, but leave it loose along the ridgeline- so it creates a "U" shape. Everything will tighten up when you stake out the sides, but it will essentially pull the ridgeline lower so you can get the tarp as low as the RL of the hammock. You won't have a flat ridgeline, but you'll be able to keep the tarp off your hammock suspension, while lowering the body of the tarp- giving you better side coverage.
    Good info, and I’ll be trying this out tomorrow! Thanks

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    My hammock will hang from the Tarp suspension. Tarp is always set just above the hammock's SRL. No fuss no muss.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaronbagby View Post
    Yeah exactly. I don’t want to sacrifice any of the length coverage, so I’m gonna sell this tarp and jump up to the Palace for sure. I can’t post in the For Sale forums just yet, been here for years but not very active! Thanks for the tips. With any luck, this will keep me dry enough to finish this next 10-12 day stretch in SW Virginia till I can get home and make the jump. Some rain is inbound for a few days, but I think it’ll be mostly fair afterward.
    Sorry, just getting back to this thread...

Yes, my earlier pic and many others in my gallery are of the 11' hex. I just love that darn thing.

However, you can still get a fairly low pitch with a 12'. You mentioned the Palace, and I have the 12' Palace for winter... With 12' tarps there will be some contact between suspension and tarp but I have not found it to be problematic. One-piece tarp RL with tarp suspended is key IMO.

As you can see in this pic, the 12' Palace can still be pitched low to the SRL:

Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post

This is exactly how I hang the 11' tarps as well. Avoid tensioning the ridge line more than needed to get the tarp to hand in a u-shape following the straps and hammock RL. Again, I pitch my tarp on the same angle that the hammock hangs. Roughly tension the ground lines and put the final tweek using the ridge line tie outs.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DutchWare Half-Zipped (Hexon 1.0)
    Tarp
    HammockGear CF Hex
    Insulation
    HG UQs and TQs
    Suspension
    Huggers w/Whoopies
    Images
    Ive used that tarp for half the AT and the LT. I've hung in some serious thunderstorms. I never got wet. My UQ got a little damp a couple of times, but not significantly so.
    Adam at HG told me "hammock camping is tarp camping." One has to be hyper aware of weather. Know what direction the wind is coming from, how that will change overnight, and pick trees that will present the most tarp in that direction. Pitch the tarp right over your hammock's ridgeline, and stake the sides down close.
    Enjoy your hike, and gaining the experience that will allow you to stay comfortable and dry!
    Last edited by Ldog; 10-09-2020 at 20:59.
    L.Dog
    AT 2000 Miler/ 1752 Hangin' Miles
    Pictures
    Blog
    Pack List

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast