Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images

Loyalsock trail thru hike in PA

Planning an upcoming trip to do the complete Loyalsock trail (west to east) ,in PA.
    Anyone with any knowledge of the complete trail.. I am wondering if I should bring my crocs or some other lightweight shoe to throw on at camp in the evening due to wet shoes from stream crossings throughout the days hiking. Are the stream crossings foot dunkers? I don't mind hiking in wet shoes.. But around camp after hiking all day.. Say by 7- 8 pm.. It will be getting cooler out and temps dropping, it might be nice to have a pair of camp shoes to throw on... IF my trail runners are soaked from stream crossing. Or, is it not really an issue with all the crossing...? Thanks..

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtbaghiker View Post
    Planning an upcoming trip to do the complete Loyalsock trail (west to east) ,in PA.
    Anyone with any knowledge of the complete trail.. I am wondering if I should bring my crocs or some other lightweight shoe to throw on at camp in the evening due to wet shoes from stream crossings throughout the days hiking. Are the stream crossings foot dunkers? I don't mind hiking in wet shoes.. But around camp after hiking all day.. Say by 7- 8 pm.. It will be getting cooler out and temps dropping, it might be nice to have a pair of camp shoes to throw on... IF my trail runners are soaked from stream crossing. Or, is it not really an issue with all the crossing...? Thanks..
    I did it a few years ago and did not carry any spare footwear and it didn't bother me, as I recall. It was early October then.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    Good to know. Thanks.
    You did the entire 59.2 miles?
    Any tips or advice??

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Actually I did it with a group and we did the loop with the Link. That was 5-6 years ago so a bit hazy.

However I have done the whole of LHHT, BFT, AFT, sections of MST and did okay without spare footwear.

But this is a subjective thing and if you're willing to carry them it wouldn't be totally out of the question. We had very wet weather for LHHT, and BFT was downright heinous... wet and below freezing, so there were a couple of times I would have welcomed some dry footwear. I am lucky to have a higher tolerance than most for cold hands and feet.

When are you going? How many miles/day are you planning?
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    If all goes as planned.. October 14 - 17.
    I have done West Rim trail, Black Forest trail and Allegheny Front trail.. so loyalsock has been on my to do list for some time now. I guess i will see the morning of. If its been raining before or will be raining frequently while on trail.. i may just bring them.. otherwise.. not!! Plan on walking sun rise to sunset.. make camp.. eat and sleep.. so .. again.. i guess i will keep eyes in weather leading up to it.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear CF
    Insulation
    EE 20 deg
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I thru hiked the whole trail last year towards the end of September. I didn't run into wet shoes but late in the season some of the crossings were dried down a little. Definitely wear pants... (I wore shorts) because the nettles are bad at some spots. It's my favorite trail! I can upload the playlist I made from when I hiked it. I did it in 4 days and can write down my camp site mile markers too. I meantioned them in my videos too. On my 3rd night I made it Apline Falls and was able to hang my hammock right on top of the falls... best site ever!

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear CF
    Insulation
    EE 20 deg
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Here's the playlist I made. A before/after and 4 trip videos. Also,, the first big falls is Angel Falls around mile 30. I hit that on Day 2 and needless to say, I know it's a real nice one and I think the biggest one but since it had been dry last year and no rain within a 2 weeks before I hiked it... that one was pretty weak and not worth the .3 sidetrail walk imo.

All of the other falls along the way you should walk right past. Rhode Falls was one of my favorites... that area of trail leading up to it may have been relocated this year because that part of the mountain was turning to a mud slide. I think their goal was to bring you down and around to the bottom. The very end falls (Dutchman Falls) is great too. It's a .1 walk before you finish the very last quarter mile.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...M0XlMe0fY0NWEJ

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    Hahaaa.. yes. I have been watching your videos a few times now over the last few weeks. Great trip and great filming footage of it!!! Excellent work. Thanks for taking the time to do that.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear CF
    Insulation
    EE 20 deg
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Definitely utilize the shuttle svc to take you to the beginning of the trail. They're super nice folks.

Day 1: I stayed at 13.83...
    11.33 was nice but I still had some fuel left in the tank so ended up at 13.83 with a small crick running through

Day 2: was a big day plus a road walk in first half. I pushed to around 34.16 area... just before splash dam and hung right along Ketchum Run. If you can get to there at a decent time... just head up .2 into splash dam area and find a rad spot to hang.

Day 3: was rough... coming off a 20 mile day. I did about 16 miles to Alpine falls which

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear CF
    Insulation
    EE 20 deg
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech Dawg View Post
    Definitely utilize the shuttle svc to take you to the beginning of the trail. They're super nice folks.

Day 1: I stayed at 13.83...
    11.33 was nice but I still had some fuel left in the tank so ended up at 13.83 with a small crick running through

Day 2: was a big day plus a road walk in first half. I pushed to around 34.16 area... just before splash dam and hung right along Ketchum Run. If you can get to there at a decent time... just head up .2 into splash dam area and find a rad spot to hang.

Day 3: was rough... coming off a 20 mile day. I did about 16 miles to Alpine falls which
    ...made the trip for me.

Day 4 was pretty easy and loved the falls at the very end. Be sure to get in some good training hikes if you plan to do it in 4 days... I did it right at the brink of summer/fall but mid october I'd imagine you're carrying a bit heavier gear with quilts etc... it's a fun hike for sure!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast