WBBB. WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG 20 UQ, HG 0 TQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/ buckles

Continuous ridge line

Should a continuous ridge line be placed under the hammock or above the hammock. I have the Dutch continuous line with prussik knots for tightening. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB. WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG 20 UQ, HG 0 TQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/ buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaindreamer View Post
    Should a continuous ridge line be placed under the hammock or above the hammock. I have the Dutch continuous line with prussik knots for tightening. Thanks.

I meant the tarp not hammock.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Normally, over...less wear and tear on the tarp since it won't rub the ridge line. In the winter time, with snow...I've seen people run it under.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    You can have your continuous ridgeline either under or over your tarp, it’s your call.
    Some tarps have a catenary cut at ridge. A continuous ridgeline would be best above tarp, if tarp peak is curved because of cat cut. Some cite possibility of wear if ridgeline is under tarp—my ridgeline is under my tarp and I’ve never noticed any wear due to tarp touching ridgeline.
    Maybe the best reason to have ridgeline above tarp is, sometimes during heavy rains a ridgeline under tarp can allow rain water to flow along ridgeline and water drops can fall on your head and topquilt.
    I use drip lines on my continuous ridgeline and don’t have rain drops falling off ridgeline.
    Possibly ridgeline under tarp can help when there is a heavy snowfall.

You can rig your tarp any way you want, and if you want to change it—it’s your call.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I see you posted the question, then posted a correction. Note that, within a window of time, you can just edit the content (but not the title) of your original post. I do that ALL the time. No matter how carefully I go over the text in the entry field, it’s not until I see it posted that my mistakes glare out - then I edit (and edit and edit and edit).

The reasons for ridgeline above have been mentioned - mostly in terms of the downside of running it under. Creating a highway for rainwater is a concern but making a water block is possible. The possible wear on the seam sealed seam seems to be theoretical because hanging something on that line - a piece of clothing for example - would pull the line down so there were be minimum contact.

A catenary cut ridgeline does suggest the suspension needs to be above - but not many tarps are cut that way.

One reason for having the ridgeline below is in the winter, around here, there is snow; not rain. Creating a pathway for water to get under the tarp isn’t a concern; heavy snowfall at night is. The ridgeline under the tarp adds support against a snow load - or if a branch high in the tree decides to drop it’s snow on you.

For me, it’s ridgeline above in the unless I’m concerned about snow or I want to use the ridgeline as an under-the-tarp clothes line. Again, attention is paid to potential water flow down that ridgeline.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 10-02-2020 at 18:42.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Phantom, guessing again...
    Can you not, change tarp under, to tarp over after set up. After set up with either under or over—reroute one side of tarp to the reverse of what it was. By releasing tarp on one side from stakes and rerouting tarp to be either under or over—the reverse of what it was????
    Or would doing this, put bad twists in tarp, at its connection points on ridgeline???

Sometimes, patches and fixes have unintended consequences!
    Aint that on someone’s corollary?? If something can go wrong—it will
    At the worst possible moment. Haha water and snow falling on Phantom’s head while trying to sleep. Hahaha
    Last edited by Phantom Grappler; 10-05-2020 at 22:06.

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless Wide 1.7 Hexon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Beckett hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    I see you posted the question, then posted a correction. Note that, within a window of time, you can just edit the content (but not the title) of your original post. I do that ALL the time. No matter how carefully I go over the text in the entry field, it’s not until I see it posted that my mistakes glare out - then I edit (and edit and edit and edit).
    Another suggestion is to preview your post before you submit it.

When you are posting a reply: If you click the "Go Advanced" button instead of the "Post Quick Reply" button you can see a preview of your post. You can then make any needed edits in the entry field below. Then click the button "Preview Post" and double check the edits you just made. Then when you're happy with your post click the "Submit Reply" button.

When you are creating a new thread: click the "Preview Post" button before you click the "Submit New Thread" button.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    EE/HG/UGQ quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/straps
    Images
    I have always had my Superfly over my continuous ridgeline as it buys me more space underneath. Personally I've never had any issues and see no reason to change.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    As noted, you can go either way. With cuben I never go under the tarp, but in winter I do carry a long dog bone ucr that goes from ridge tie out on each end, in the event it is snowing hard. I use split RLs and the weight of snow would put to much stress on the ridge tie out points...essentially a removable under-tarp RL. That said I felt need to use it exactly once and it did help me sleep better know things were more secure.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

• + New Posts