Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Overwhelmed with choices, some questions

Hi all!

Looking to buy a hammock setup for backpacking and am a little overwhelmed with the choices.

Goals:

- As light as possible since it is for backpacking. I'm 5'9 / 160lbs fortunately, so the lighter 1.0oz and 1.2oz fabrics are probably fine
    - East coast is home, and lyme disease is rampant so need a bug net
    - 3 season temps, prob no colder than 30F typically

Open questions:

1. Favorite budget hammock that uses lighter materials? Currently looking at the Dream Hammock Darien 1.2 maybe. It looks like pretty much all dutchware stuff uses 1.6 materials?

2. Suspension - which do you think is the least fussy for attachment but also lightweight? I'm not entirely opposed to knots, but if adding 1oz means much easier attachment / less to go wrong I might go that route. Whoopie slings, for example, sound like they can have issues if the trees aren't sufficiently far apart because they can't pull down enough.

3. Tarp - Open to DCF, maybe sil-poly, but what I'm unsure on is which is the best shape and size. I don't want to worry about getting wet, especially if it's only an ounce difference between a medium/large type size. The minifly is 20D silpoly and recommended by someone.

I'm going to be poking around these forums, but curious which brands/models you'd pick for a good weight:fussiness ratio if that makes sense.

Hammock
    WB BBXLC, DWG Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly, HG DCF
    Insulation
    Katabatic TQ,HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Beetle
    Quote Originally Posted by nquinn View Post
    1. Favorite budget hammock that uses lighter materials? Currently looking at the Dream Hammock Darien 1.2 maybe. It looks like pretty much all dutchware stuff uses 1.6 materials?
    Dream Hammocks are well loved here. I haven't tried the Darian yet as I really like zippers on both sides if I need to mess with my UQ in the middle of the night, so I've considered investing in a Sparrow. Dutch also has his hammocks available in Hexon 1.0.

2. Suspension - which do you think is the least fussy for attachment but also lightweight? I'm not entirely opposed to knots, but if adding 1oz means much easier attachment / less to go wrong I might go that route. Whoopie slings, for example, sound like they can have issues if the trees aren't sufficiently far apart because they can't pull down enough.
    I am a big fan of the beetle buckles from dutch for a no-fuss solution. My 11 year old has been using beetle buckles all summer without issue. I also like whoopies paired with the Warbonnet Dynaweeve straps with a marlin spike toggle, very light and easily adjustable. If the trees are too close, I can connect my continuous loops directly to the tree straps with the marlin-spike.

3. Tarp - Open to DCF, maybe sil-poly, but what I'm unsure on is which is the best shape and size. I don't want to worry about getting wet, especially if it's only an ounce difference between a medium/large type size. The minifly is 20D silpoly and recommended by someone.
    I have both a HG DCF Tarp with doors and a WB Minifly in SilPoly. If it's all about the weight or I'm looking for more protection based on weather, I pack the DCF tarp. Otherwise, the MiniFly has been my go to as it is relatively light and packs small and much less noisy but with a 3.6oz weight penalty compared to the DCF tarp.

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    HG CUBEN TARP
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies / CRL
    1. I hike quite a bit, and I've got my base weight down to around 11 lbs. I use my dream hammock raven in a 1.6 oz material. I can leave the bugnet at home when the temps get down low enough. It's not my lightest hammock, but I put up with the extra couple of ounces for the comfort. My 10 foot warbonnet blackbird is probably the lightest hammock I have, but the raven is my favorite.

2. My suspension currently is UCRs that I made. Really light weight, but if you are looking for less "fiddle factor" a strap suspension may be better, though it will probably weigh more.

3. I have an old warbonnet edge tarp that I believe is basically the minifly without the doors. I don't think you can even get the edge any more. I like the edge, but it has very little cover, and I spent some nights getting hammered by wind. So I got the mountainfly in silpoly. I has very good coverage, but its a little heavy. I wanted something lighter for hiking without sacrificing coverage so I just got a hammock gear DCF tarp with doors. I haven't used it yet, but I am confident I will like it. I've had it pitched in my yard and its really nice. I made a continuous ridgeline for it out of lash-it, a prussik knot, and two mini carabiners. I just copied what Derek Hansen uses in his "continuous ridge line for a tarp" video.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    1. Dutch has the Half Zipped in Hexon 1.0 but the bugnet isn't removable. Maybe go netless hammock and add a bottom entry bugnet.
    2. I use the Beetle Buckles with spider poly straps. Not the lightest, but I like the versatility. Pretty sure the lightest would be kevlar or similar lightweight straps using a Becket hitch or some other knot.
    3. I'd pick the Thunderfly over the Minifly, it's got longer end beaks plus about an extra 6" on each side. It's about the same width as the HG DCF Standard with doors.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Lyme disease comes from ticks, and ticks don't jump into your hammock (not in my last 10 years of hammock camping). A bugnet is for mosquitoes, which are typically an issue only about three months out of the year in the Northeast. Mosquitoes are sluggish at 60* F, and downright immobile at 50* F.

I personally like a removable bugnet like the one that comes with the Dutch Chameleon. Also, I like a Fronkey bugnet, which is bottom entry and works great.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Lyme disease comes from ticks, and ticks don't jump into your hammock (not in my last 10 years of hammock camping). A bugnet is for mosquitoes, which are typically an issue only about three months out of the year in the Northeast. Mosquitoes are sluggish at 60* F, and downright immobile at 50* F.

I personally like a removable bugnet like the one that comes with the Dutch Chameleon. Also, I like a Fronkey bugnet, which is bottom entry and works great.
    Curious why you like the removable bugnet? Is it just so you can run the hammock without it entirely later? I plan to pretty much always use the net for backpacking.

Images
    1: 1.0 fabrics are a bit sketchy for hammocks. Don’t feel bad about getting something robust and durable when that is your shelter that you depend on. Also, comfort is more important than a few extra ounces, according to what my back is telling me.

2: buckles for easy, knots for lightweight

3: you want a hex tarp. Silpoly or silnylon is fine. Consider dcf a luxury upgrade.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Curious why you like the removable bugnet? Is it just so you can run the hammock without it entirely later? I plan to pretty much always use the net for backpacking.
    I need a bugnet three months out of the year. I don't need a bugnet in spring, fall or winter - just in summer. It's a bugnet - it's for bugs.

However, there are those who like a bugnet or topcover 365 days a year. If you don't mind carrying the extra weight when you don't even need it, go for it!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Z
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    Tigris el Cheapo
    Suspension
    Straps
    I have had a great experience with the Dutch half zip. Also, if ticks are a concern and you haven't already take a look at soaking your gear and clothes in Permethrin. Stuff is wonderful, and will actively kill ticks, not just dissuade them.
    "If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done." - L Wittgenstein

Hammock
    Warbonnet ridgerunner/ chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    Ya might wanna check out the trail lair from simply light designs. Lots of fabric options including the mtn 1.2 hybrid which is light and strong. Jared also builds a nice tarp. And has the fastest turnaround of all the vendors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast