Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ

First Steps: lowering weight and bulk

I have a couple of seasons in my HG Wanderlust kit. I don’t see myself going back to a tent unless there’s some really specific need to (absolutely no trees!). I’d like to try to lighten the load a bit if possible, particularly as colder weather approaches and I’ll need some pack space for potentially bulkier quilts. Here’s my starting point:

HG 11 foot netted hammock: 583 grams (comes with giant carabiners, which I’m replacing)
    HG 11 foot tarp including snake skin: 421 grams
    Suspension: daisy chain and Dutch hooks: 130 grams

The webbing is a bit longer than it needs to be and, as such, is probably bulkier than necessary. My first inclination is to replace the tarp with something DCF particularly since the tarp gets a bit saggy under heavy rains. There’s weight to be saved there but the DCF probably doesn’t pack down as small.

I’ve looked at the comparison charts in Ultimate Hang to see if there are lighter hammocks but I’m not sure how current that content is. I’d appreciate some input from those who’ve taken this journey already. Lighter hammock or try to lighten the suspension?

I like having the bug net in summer, but the bugs are gone for the season and the net is not removable in this model of hammock. Maybe that’s inconsequential weight!?

I’m 6’2” about 210 lbs if that matters in terms of a hammock.

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless - for now
    Tarp
    Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I'd suggest changing your suspension. Daisy chains are heavy and bulky. You could go with tree huggers and whoopie slings. Or some form of longer strap like Dutch's spider straps and tie a Beckett hitch. That's the first thing I upgraded and save a lot of weight by ditching the Daisy chain and ultimately all hardware by just using that knot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    Definitely not inconsequential... as an example, removing the bug net from the Dutchware Chameleon shaves nearly 6 oz. Add a DCF tarp, sub soft shackles for carabiners, get rid of all the hardware and trim the weight even more.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    For a quick guide on the hammock portion of your kit, the current HG Wanderluxe kit (including quilts) is a pretty good guide. 4.64lb as spec'd is very respectable for a complete hammock/20°F quilts/tarp setup.

There are a couple of things I would personally change—no hardware, a one-piece tarp ridge line, straight webbing vs daisy chain—which would put the weight right around 4.5lbs, I'd guess.

In the Ultra Lite Gear forum (donating members) there are many other ideas and discussions about reducing overall pack weight.

Also, there's nothing wrong with using a netted hammock in the winter, and in fact it has more of an effect at blocking wind than you might imagine, and sometimes, depending on conditions, a lot of frost can collect there which would otherwise end up collecting on your quilt.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    This is what got me there. 10.4 pounds atm

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...od-amp-Clothes
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I tried the UL hammock route - didn't work out for me. The 1.0 and 1.1 ounce hammocks just don't support my 5'11", 165 lb. frame. I can't trust those UL hammocks so I stick with minimum 1.6 oz. hammocks (though I'm very fond of my Dutch PolyD 1.4 oz. hammocks - no longer manufactured but I have a spare!).

As for suspension, I mostly rely on whoopie slings, Dutch whoopie hooks, and polyester straps. However, I've been using a Dutch Beetle Buckle suspension for a couple of years and have no real complaints. With 15 ft. Spider/Poly straps, Beetle Buckles, and 7/64 Amsteel continuous loops, that's only 185 grams, or 6.6 ounces. I like the Spider straps because I know I will never run into a problem with "minimal" distance between trees. With whoopie slings, you have a harder time fitting in short distances because the Amsteel bury and loop adds about 9 inches on each end to the hammock length.

With Spider straps you can easily hang an 11 ft. hammock with just 12 to 13 ft. distance between anchors. Sometimes weight isn't the most important consideration!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    As for tarp suspension, I've been using a continuous ridgeline with Dutch Wasps and Hooks for years. The only complaint I have is that sometimes the prusik loops that connect the tarp to the ridgeline need to be loosened a bit in order to slide them. When it's 10* F outside and snowing, you don't want to be futzing with your prusik loops. In cold temps, you could only have about three to five minutes working without gloves, tying knots, before you need to take a "warming" time out.

I can't tie a single knot with gloves on. Maybe if I practiced at home? Usually, I just bring a couple of handwarmers for winter setup - I know I might have to warm my hands at least twice to set up my winter tarp.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 10-01-2020 at 00:29.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Watching with interest, have been doing a fair bit of research lately about ultralight hiking. Whilst I do not necessarily want to be ultralight I would like to be as lightweight as possible, without being stupid light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    DH's 1.3 fabric works just fine. I'm not sure if anyone is still using the old 1.0 1.1. That being said even my old WW BIAS 1.0 could still make a trip or two. It was a dedicated pack hammock and didn't get many calls the last few years. Turned out to be a little too wide, but it still could roll.

Sheltowee can still make a 30 degree integrated hammock under 1.75#. Superior does too.
    Signature suspended

First Steps: lowering weight and bulk

Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    This is what got me there. 10.4 pounds atm

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...od-amp-Clothes
    Just finished going through this thread and there are a lot of great ideas in there. It is clear the OP in that thread put a lot of thought into his system.

Not sure I would get to that sort of weight, but then again no bears where I live, except Drop Bears but I carry Vegemite for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast