Back2Basix

Dutchware Double Chameleon Sleeping?

Does anyone have experience sleeping with a partner in the Dutchware Chameleon tandem setup? I'd love to hear your experiences.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I’d recommend just using the tree as a separator and putting the hammocks side by side. You run the hammock suspension of one off the right side of the tree and the other hammock off the left side - they are separated by a distance the diameter of the tree. This gives you some closeness yet motion independence.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    CRO Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'
    I know Dutch sells a spreader bar called the "Double Dutch" that you can put on the head end to hang from the same tree.
    "God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    I’d recommend just using the tree as a separator and putting the hammocks side by side. You run the hammock suspension of one off the right side of the tree and the other hammock off the left side - they are separated by a distance the diameter of the tree. This gives you some closeness yet motion independence.
    Assuming you can find trees that are reasonably large diameter.

The double dutch setup works nicely in theory. As wbJohn mentioned, Dutch sells a spreader bar for this purpose. It works very easily with either Beetle Buckles or Double Whoopie Hooks, both of which have holes for accepting the tips of the spreader bar that keeps the hammocks apart.

The biggest downside from my limited experience with this setup is that motion in one hammock is transmitted to the other. This is especially true when one person is entering or exiting their hammock. New hammockers, in particular, seem to have a hard time keeping still through the night, so beware of that. It's not the end of the world though, so if the idea appeals to you, I'd say it's worth a try.

For a long time, getting a single tarp to effectively cover a double setup was an issue. I know Dutch now has something along the lines of a double tarp, but I've no experience with that. There's a specific thread on that tarp somewhere, probably in the Dutchware subforum.

Welcome to the fun.

Hammock
    DIY Chameleon Compatible AIRWAVE1.8
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly XL
    Insulation
    Habanero/Serrano
    Suspension
    Straps/Beetles
    Second this. I've used the spreader bar a number of times with the wife or a kid. When one of you moves, the other moves. I'd also say I have better luck when the two of us are sleeping opposite lay so our feet are pointing at each other and our heads are farther apart. Unfortunately, the wife flip flops and the kids tend to sleep banana style.

Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    Assuming you can find trees that are reasonably large diameter.

The double dutch setup works nicely in theory. As wbJohn mentioned, Dutch sells a spreader bar for this purpose. It works very easily with either Beetle Buckles or Double Whoopie Hooks, both of which have holes for accepting the tips of the spreader bar that keeps the hammocks apart.

The biggest downside from my limited experience with this setup is that motion in one hammock is transmitted to the other. This is especially true when one person is entering or exiting their hammock. New hammockers, in particular, seem to have a hard time keeping still through the night, so beware of that. It's not the end of the world though, so if the idea appeals to you, I'd say it's worth a try.

For a long time, getting a single tarp to effectively cover a double setup was an issue. I know Dutch now has something along the lines of a double tarp, but I've no experience with that. There's a specific thread on that tarp somewhere, probably in the Dutchware subforum.

Welcome to the fun.

• + New Posts