DH FreeBird 1.2 MTN
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, Phnx
    Suspension
    WB Dynaweave
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    The 1.0 and 1.1 ounce hammocks just don't support my 5'11", 165 lb. frame.
    Have you tried 1.2 or 1.3 MTN? I've got one on order from DH and I'm 5'10" 170 lb. and I'm wondering what to expect coming from a single layer bb xlc.

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    I made the mistake of winter camping in my Dutch side zip.I got addicted to it once I realized how much heat retention and wind resistance it offered.Maybe it's just me but it's worth it's weight.

So now it's my year round ride.I think the last time I weighed it the number was about 14oz for the hammock not including suspension.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cbm9000 View Post
    Have you tried 1.2 or 1.3 MTN? I've got one on order from DH and I'm 5'10" 170 lb. and I'm wondering what to expect coming from a single layer bb xlc.
    No, I haven't tried them. I'm sticking with 1.6 or higher.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Chameleon/TE Happy Medium/SG
    Tarp
    Thunderfly/UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG / LL
    Suspension
    Becket
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    As for tarp suspension, I've been using a continuous ridgeline with Dutch Wasps and Hooks for years. The only complaint I have is that sometimes the prusik loops that connect the tarp to the ridgeline need to be loosened a bit in order to slide them. When it's 10* F outside and snowing, you don't want to be futzing with your prusik loops. In cold temps, you could only have about three to five minutes working without gloves, tying knots, before you need to take a "warming" time out.

I can't tie a single knot with gloves on. Maybe if I practiced at home? Usually, I just bring a couple of handwarmers for winter setup - I know I might have to warm my hands at least twice to set up my winter tarp.
    A CRL from Jeff Myers of Myerstech (ebay store) or Autumn Ultralite use a simple toggle to set the line taut plus a pair of Nama claws. They give you small continuous loops that you larkshead to the tarp tieouts, then these get hooked to the Nama claws. I haven't used mine in winter yet, but on paper it looks like something you could do with gloves on.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Quote Originally Posted by MongooseDownUnder View Post
    Just finished going through this thread and there are a lot of great ideas in there. It is clear the OP in that thread put a lot of thought into his system.

Not sure I would get to that sort of weight, but then again no bears where I live, except Drop Bears but I carry Vegemite for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No bears here of course either..but I am really glad to be getting my food, fuel, stove, trash and other odds and ends out of the main body of my pack. My food sack was always on the top of every thing and had to come out first before accessing the rest of the contents. It would get smooshed up and around and generally stink my pack up. Even with scent blocker sacks it still remained in my way.

The base weight for Jeremy's system includes the 2lb weight penalty for the canister, which makes it pretty impressive with or without the Hammock.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    This is what got me there. 10.4 pounds atm

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...od-amp-Clothes
    Excellent video! I'm not quite UL and not sure I'll ever get there, just trying to trim here and there where it makes sense.
    I hadn't thought of bundling the hammock, quilts and sleep clothes together.
    How do you sort that out when it rains and you have to stuff everything pack into the pack together? I didnt see a pack liner.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Raven Pack is DCF. No need for a liner.

Most of the gear you need to get at, is kept in the Peakbag/Gearsling. Its positioned at the head end of the hammock, which is the end most people hook up first, so it's pretty close to on top, when you open the pack. Just unzip and grab the hat, gloves or base layers you might need.

Its a very nice system.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    You probably have a few ounces in hardware that can be lightened or eliminated. And certainly the Daisy Chain straps are IMHO way overkill.. like carrying four straps rather than two. Too long? Well, that's a tough one, but you could carry a few dog bones to supplement straps that come up short. I carry one 8' and one 12' Kevlar strap and two 3' Dynaglide dog bones. Never came up short.. always have a few feet of strap dangling.

Don't fear the pack size of DCF. I fretted over it for a while. It's not as bad as you might imagine.

Not sure what fabric weight you have.. that might be a source of trimmed ounces, but candidly I would find my ounces elsewhere than have an uncomfortable sleep or risk a failure (ask me why..).

Don't underestimate the weight noseeum adds. Especially if it's 0.90, which most vendors prefer. I use 0.67 on all of my hammocks and have never had a failure or rip and the weight savings of the mesh and zippers over 11' of hammock is measurable. So much so I have migrated fully to Half Wit style bug nets. Less or even no zipper, which saves a ton of weight and for me it is just as effective as a full bug net. Lighterpack tells me my 0.67 removable full bug net is a snick over 4 oz. The removable Half Wit bug net is just under 2 oz.
    Last edited by MikekiM; 10-02-2020 at 09:36.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    I cannot discern from the HG website what fabric weight the hammock is.The bug net....I suppose it's better to have it than not for the time being because I haven't been out in it in cold weather to see of the net actually adds any protection as suggested earlier in the thread.

It sounds as if the easiest plan of attack is the suspension. I really like the idea of a cinch buckle type rig or a Beetle Buckle kit for the ability to rig it quickly and not have to fiddle with knots or a whoopie as colder weather approaches. Also concerned about what I've read about whoopies and short hangs.

What length and type straps would you suggest? My only experience is the long daisy chains that came with the HG kit.

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    12 or 15 foot straps.?

Any suggestions ?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast