Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How do you store your dyneema fly?

Hello all. Just purchased a dyneema fly on the forum here. Real excited to start using it. Got a question that may be an overdone one. For years I’d used the Hennessy Hex fly in their snake skins, so storing the fly was super easy. When I got the dyneema fly, I thought I’d maybe reuse the skins and stash it the same way every day (rolling it up). But the new fly is so much less bulky, so the fit was less than snug along with the skins basically weighing half what the fly weighs! So I’m kinda going back to basics here, will be re-learning to fold up my rainfly. Any tips on getting it folded/stuffed into the sack wothout the fly hitting the ground etc? Thanks!

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Mesh skin when i used Dyneema

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I don't use snake skins. I fold and roll, using the original stuff sack, which is plenty big.

To stow without dragging it on the ground, I release all the corner guy lines while keeping the CRL tied between trees with tarp hanging down straight. Then I release one end of the CRL and begin folding in a ziz-zag manner along the tarp's ridge line, total of 6 zig-zags. Next, start rolling from the tarp's ridge line toward the edges, enough that the CRL is captured in the first couple of folds. Next, fold in the ends of the tarp so that they overlap and then continue rolling the whole bundle toward the edges. This forces out about 99.9% of the air as you roll. Finish by wrapping the guy lines and ridge line tails around the bundle. This bundle slips into HG's original stuff sack with gobs of room to spare, keeps cords tangle-free.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Any reason we are worrying about fitting the tarp back in the stuff sack in the field?

Mine packs folded up and stuffed into an outside mesh pocket. I'll probably use the DCF stuff sack for something else entirely.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    Any reason we are worrying about fitting the tarp back in the stuff sack in the field?

Mine packs folded up and stuffed into an outside mesh pocket. I'll probably use the DCF stuff sack for something else entirely.
    I actually prefer putting mine inside the pack. Less exposure to scrapes and pokes.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I use a one-piece HG snakeskin. When I take it down, I detach one side and tightly roll the tarp up until I get to the other side- and then detach that side. This method ensures that the tarp never makes contact with the ground.

Then I use the ridgeline to wrap around the middle of the rolled-up tarp- this compresses it a bit.

Once that's done, I store it in the dyneema stuff sack it came with, and it rides in the side pocket of my pack.

Hammock
    WB BBXLC, DWG Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly, HG DCF
    Insulation
    Katabatic TQ,HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Beetle
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    I use a one-piece HG snakeskin. When I take it down, I detach one side and tightly roll the tarp up until I get to the other side- and then detach that side. This method ensures that the tarp never makes contact with the ground.
    Same here. I try to do rolls more than folds as I've heard the Mylar can break down quicker with tight folds. Not sure if that is true, but I paid enough that I like to baby it a bit.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I actually prefer putting mine inside the pack. Less exposure to scrapes and pokes.
    As long as it's not raining or you can dry it off, I guess. The only problem for me would be getting it back out in storm conditions. I'd rather not open the inside of my pack up to the elements until my tarp is up and secured. I paid the price for DCF on both pack and tarp and will keep the stuff that needs to stay dry inside and the things that don't outside.

UL gear is lighter and more subject to wear and tear, but it should not be considered fragile by any means.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I use single piece mesh snake skins on all of my DCF tarps. Once skinned I roll it from the skins wide end to the narrow end, lightly wrap the ridge line around the bundle and put it in a DCF stuff sack. I store the tarp in my pack. Used to put it in the side pocket but the left it too exposed. I put it on the very top of my gear, so it's easy to get to. If it's lightly damp, I'll still put it in the pack as the stuff suck contains any moisture (and anything I need/want to keep dry is likely in the liner bag. If it's soaked I will put it in the outside front pocket.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

I think I’ve posted this somewhere already, but I’m a huge fan of tarps in snake skins outside of your pack.

My ULA and SWD packs have shock cord on the back so I’ll weave it through that.

That way I can pull it out and set the tarp up first in the rain without opening my pack, and then work from under it.

Please pardon - we hiked a mile in loaded with beer and extra snacks when this was taken

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast