Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek XL
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    In cold conditions (below 32d F), when canoe camping, in addition to my merino wool sleepwear, I use a wool blanket (large enough to wrap myself in). It works great. When backpacking or when canoe camping and I don't want the weight of a wool blanket (it is about 4.5 lbs.), I use a a Sea to Summit Thermolite Reactor Liner. I also put a military casualty blanket in the sleeve of my DL WBRR. In terms of additional clothing, I also have a Blackrock Down Beanie, a Patagonia Down Sweater and Nano Puff Down Pants if it really gets really cold.

Hammock
    DutchWare Half-Zipped (Hexon 1.0)
    Tarp
    HammockGear CF Hex
    Insulation
    HG UQs and TQs
    Suspension
    Huggers w/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KingMob View Post
    After a day of hiking, do you get into a sleeping bag liner before pulling on your top quilt? Is there an alternative to keep the hammock and/or the top quilt from becoming greasy or dirty over time? In particular, I was thinking of getting a lighter top quilt (i sleep hot, but I also live on the frozen tundra up north) and using a warmer liner to provide added warmth in the spring/fall. Does anyone have advice or tips in this regard?
    I hammock while doing long-distance hiking. Towards that endeavor I try to pack as lightly as practical. I'm not "UL" but I subscribe to their basic tenants. Just not the arbitrary weight goals ... So, I don't hike to spend time in camp, I camp so I can hike. And I don't carry superfluous stuff that I don't need to eat, drink, sleep, hike, and take care of myself. And I echo what others have said. I carry a wx-appropriate merino-wool base layer, buff and beanie, and a pair of "Sacred Socks." Both for around camp, and to sleep in.

It's all merino cause it neither promotes stink, nor absorbs it like polypropylene does to me and others. It also retains more of it's insulative qualities when wet. It's more expensive, but worth it to me.

The "Sacred Socks" are loose-fitting, heavy wool socks that are NEVER worn while hiking, and that one religiously protects from getting wet.

All that gets packed with my quilts, spare socks, undies, down jacket and electronics at the bottom of my pack, inside a pack liner that's rolled down tight.When I get camp set up, I get out of my hiking clothes, hang them up to dry and air out, and get into my base layer. If I leave the shelter of my tarp when it's raining, I put on my rain shell and pants.

Good luck pulling it all together in a way that meets your needs!
    Last edited by Ldog; 10-22-2020 at 16:30.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    In colder temp hanging, I do use a liner. I sleep cold and found a 20 degree TQ may not keep me warm in 35 degrees. A Fleece liner is a nice addition as a layer because it provides a warm pocket of air. I also have fleece undergarments which do make it tough to get in and out, fleece on fleece has a lot of friction. You are better off with a thin base layer and a fleece liner if you go that route.
    Sitting in the hammock with feet on a ground pad, I slip the liner on and then get into the hammock and into the TQ, easy peasy, its easier then using two TQs as layering in extreme cold.
    The liner adds some flexibility, push it down if its too warm, arms on top, or arms inside for more warmth not to mention the nice warm fleece around your neck when you need it.

I regularly use a liner, either a silk liner or a merino liner depending on the temperature. It not only keeps everything cleaner, warmer, and less drafty, but as electbc said, it adds versatility in changing temps. It you don’t like sleeping encased in one, just slit it up the back and leave a footbox like your TQ.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Or a vapor barrier liner if you want to take it to the next level.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-Barrier-Liner

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123