Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 28363738

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Definitely not an overnighter but I needed to go for a tramp in the woods and also needed to re-teach myself how to edit video. So there's this...

My goodness the park is busy on a holiday weekend! This was a new-to-me trailhead and I don't know that I'll be back. Large parts of the parking area were covered in beer cans and trash bags where people pulled into party and just dumped their garbage. So sad. Thankfully they don't hike because the trails were clean.

I did bring a hammock, so that must count for something. I didn't set it up. Each time I found a nice spot, I started thinking "if I take a nap, I will pay the price by sitting in traffic on the return trip home when all these other people get in their cars."

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    Haha.. Nice. That's a shame about the parking area and trash. Too bad, but thankfully it stayed in the lot and not into the woods! Nap?? You should have camped!! Nice video, thanks for posting.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Bob, great to hear you're getting back into the swing of things!

Yes, that parking area right off Long Mtn Pkwy is definitely disgusting, owing mainly to its easy access to anyone and everyone just passing through. Turkey Hill Lake is therefore the most trashed area in the park, followed closely by Pine Meadow Lake. Most areas of the park were seriously trashed during the pandemic. Years ago I used to park at Turkey Hill loop and then go south to Stockbridge and then on to other areas.

Last weekend I hiked the loop we did a few years back with my adopted nephew Johnny, from a few posts above. Parked at Silvermine Lake and did the LP/AT thing. We camped at Brien and although it was Memorial Day weekend it wasn't nearly as crowded as I thought it might be in that part of the park. Absolutely perfect weather and even the bugs weren't bad at all.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images

Last full day of summer 2023

Sunrise yesterday near Big Hill shelter in Harriman.

I've got a bigger trip coming up, the Grafton Loop Trial with Dirtbaghiker, so the last several weeks I've been doing my short local hikes with increasing intensity to improve aerobics after lazing around since last autumn and spending way too much time partaking of the model airplane hobby again.

Training has advanced and now I'm throwing in some longer hikes to work on endurance. Sept 21 I did a 10 mile hike, Beech loop from Lake Skannatati to Big Hill, and while it didn't kick my a$$ it reminded me that aerobic fitness and endurance are different things! However, the hike out was 3.5 miles, for which I kept a 2.9mph average pace and when I got back to the car I felt fairly fresh, although it featured about 300 feet of up and 600 feet of down so that might've had something to do with it. Pretty darn rocky and rubbly, so no piece of cake, but frankly normal for Harriman.

It was great to be in the woods again. I carried fairly light kit but threw in the Helinox ground chair for camping convenience. I really like the chair for providing a nice place to sit while cooking more than anything else. I used my 900ml pot and alcohol stove setup to make my favorite red beans and rice with andouille sausage. Some forecasts had temps down to about 45°F so I was using the JRB Sierra Stealth quilt (the one that converts to serape) and EE Revolt UQ with SLD Tree Runner (Hexon 1.6, no net) and the little HG asym tarp. I don't know the AUW but the whole kit fit quite easily into the 38l Waymark Evlv pack.

And so, adieu to another summer...

Big_Hill_Summer_2023_last_day_SMALL.jpg
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    HG 0 UQ / 20 TQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    Images
    That Grafton Loop will be a fun one!

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhody Seth View Post
    That Grafton Loop will be a fun one!
    Indeed, that is a great loop. I did it back in 2017 with some other friends and it is really spectacular. Close to 12k feet of vertical but we're planning for 3 nights out to break it up and soak in the scenery. We have agreed to cancel if the weather looks like total crap... we're aiming for as close to all Type 1 Fun as we can get!

• + New Posts
  • Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 28363738