Page 35 of 38 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    If you're going to sleep on the ground at Harriman without any walls, nows the time to do it. Otherwise, bugs!

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    If you're going to sleep on the ground at Harriman without any walls, nows the time to do it. Otherwise, bugs!
    Indeed, one of the main attractions of winter. I dread the appearance of the first spider webs across the trail.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Gold Armour 10.4
    Tarp
    Gold Armour 10x12
    Insulation
    DIY synthetic 30*
    Suspension
    Spider straps
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Yes, I was using the copper strip... looks black in the photo because it was on the shadow side of the pot, but it's there. Fuel was N-butane (vapor temp 31°F) being used at 18°F. I used a Bic lighter to get the thermal feedback going... believe not, this is not dangerous.

Attachment 187781

The copper strip method won't hurt anything when used at colder temps for which the method is designed... not even close. I did numerous tests monitoring very closely with thermometers attached directly to the canister and they got nowhere near warm enough to cause any sort of problem. I even ran it with a MiniMo at full power for 1/2 hour, using a canister cozy, *at 75°F ambient* and it did not blow up. It got pretty warm, and I don't recommend this for the faint of heart, but again, you'd never be using the strip at that temperature anyway. There is literally zero chance of overheating at 40°F and below.

But this is a persistent meme with folks who haven't actually used it.

I like your method for heating up the canister, it does not scare me in the least. I am lazy, and prefer to use propane in the canister during the cold months. It will vaporize at pretty much any temp I will be out in voluntarily. :P
    I won't use straight propane in the canisters during the summer, the mix works better overall, and the safety factor of the canister is in play in summer.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Not sure, but think propane still works at very low temperatures, lower temperatures than many other fuels used in canisters.
    I do not know, it is still an interesting topic. When hammock camping or even tarp camping, hot coffee and hot grub are tops.

Thanks Bob, I missed the copper strip. It’s a genius solution for 2cold canister.

Hammock
    Gold Armour 10.4
    Tarp
    Gold Armour 10x12
    Insulation
    DIY synthetic 30*
    Suspension
    Spider straps
    Yes, propane will vaporize down to -40.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Last week 2/15-16 I was out for another quickie but got a late start because wife and I had a too-rich Valentine's dinner and it wasn't until about noon on the 15th that I was sure my innards were finally straightened out...

Had I gotten an earlier start I was going to do the Beech loop to Big Hill which is about 10mi, but instead walked straight from Skannatati to Big Hill on the Long Path, about 3.6mi. Camped at the spot where MikekiM and I did on a hike several weeks ago.

Continuing to try various ground kit, I used the MLD bivy, which worked out well with the 3/4 air mat and CCF pad, 20deg Enigma. Got down to 13°F and I was toasty warm all night wearing my down parka and pants to supplement.

Obligatory camp and sunrise pix!

GtG_Bivy.jpg Big_Hill_Sunrise_03_SMALL.jpg
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Last week 2/15-16 I was out for another quickie but got a late start because wife and I had a too-rich Valentine's dinner and it wasn't until about noon on the 15th that I was sure my innards were finally straightened out...

Had I gotten an earlier start I was going to do the Beech loop to Big Hill which is about 10mi, but instead walked straight from Skannatati to Big Hill on the Long Path, about 3.6mi. Camped at the spot where MikekiM and I did on a hike several weeks ago.

Continuing to try various ground kit, I used the MLD bivy, which worked out well with the 3/4 air mat and CCF pad, 20deg Enigma. Got down to 13°F and I was toasty warm all night wearing my down parka and pants to supplement.

Obligatory camp and sunrise pix!

GtG_Bivy.jpg Big_Hill_Sunrise_03_SMALL.jpg
    Simple and old school~~
    BUT....where you comfortable? Miss the hammock??
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Definitely not as comfortable as the hammock, but when I raise my legs a few inches with the pack and other items it's not bad at all. And of course I have the inflatable pillow, which I don't use for hammocking.

My only real interest in doing this is to remind myself — after 4 years of hammocks exclusively — that I can still do it when hammock is not an option, and when I'm doing more distance and want absolute lightest kit, and when I want to do more mileage in the winter. There are definitely some places to pulk here in the NE but that's not an option even in the relatively modest local hills in my "backyard." Even this little overnighter had some stretches that would've been extremely difficult to negotiate with a pulk. So I'll leave that to you guys whose environs are perfectly suited to it!

But I think my testing phase is done for now and I'm back to hammocks. I'm introducing my friend's son to backpacking and hammocking, so when the weather warms up a bit that'll be my primary focus for a while.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Definitely not as comfortable as the hammock, but when I raise my legs a few inches with the pack and other items it's not bad at all. And of course I have the inflatable pillow, which I don't use for hammocking.

My only real interest in doing this is to remind myself — after 4 years of hammocks exclusively — that I can still do it when hammock is not an option, and when I'm doing more distance and want absolute lightest kit, and when I want to do more mileage in the winter. There are definitely some places to pulk here in the NE but that's not an option even in the relatively modest local hills in my "backyard." Even this little overnighter had some stretches that would've been extremely difficult to negotiate with a pulk. So I'll leave that to you guys whose environs are perfectly suited to it!

But I think my testing phase is done for now and I'm back to hammocks. I'm introducing my friend's son to backpacking and hammocking, so when the weather warms up a bit that'll be my primary focus for a while.
    Good clean fun! Well, kinda fun.
    Pulks can be testy on twisty trails for sure.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Fortunately I was able to do quite a few overnighters to Harriman this summer, some of which I mentioned in other threads but most not at all. That's the beauty of the Sub-24 'format' — quick in/out and done.

This past trip which was Thu-Fri, however, is likely the last of the summer before the calendar rolls over officially to fall. Which was really the only thing that made it noteworthy, except perhaps for the cool temperatures and low dew points that made it much more delightful than some of the very hot and humid walks.

For this hike I did a short 9.5 mile loop starting at Tiorati Circle, following Ramapo-Dunderberg to Times Square, Arden-Surebridge to Red Cross, and then Menomine (yellow) to Brien Shelter. In the morning, R-D/AT back to Tiorati, about 3.8 mi.

Overall the park is still very dry even after the 4 inches or so of precip from some recent rains. The ground is so dry from the prolonged drought that it just soaked it all up like a dry sponge and left barely a little pool here and there. Even Tiorati Brook, whose source is the outflow from Tiorati Lake, was running at just a trickle. I started off carrying a 20oz Gatorade bottle and 32oz Platy and was glad I did. I drank all of that and then topped off for the duration at Tiorati Brook, adding another liter (using he BeFree as a container) to the total, all up 88oz of water. Good thing I did because the little spring near Brien Shelter was still bone dry.

I suppose that some people haven't planned very well for the water situation this year because the park management has started leaving water stashes at many of the road crossings. Most likely they've had a few emergency calls from people suffering dehydration and decided to do these water drops.

The forecast was close to zero chance of rain so I didn't deploy the tarp. I brought it because it was cool and rather windy, but the wind subsided quite a bit in the afternoon and I felt no need to pitch it. I really enjoyed having the chair along... I've carried it on most walks this summer. Thanks in large part to the drought there are hardly any insects this summer, so once again I used the netless SLD Trail Runner hammock, although I did 'hedge my bet' with the tiny Ben's head net... just in case! The overnight low got down to 47°F and there were no bugs or birds making a racket so I was able to sleep without ear plugs for the first time in ages.

One of the goals of this trip was to try out, finally, the JRB Sierra Stealth quilt that has a head hole in the middle that converts it to a serape. This was a huge success and I'll be using the SS a lot this fall. Another goal was to try out my red beans and rice recipe, prepared over a Starlyte alcohol stove in a Toaks 900ml pot, which turned out damm yummy!

One of the many streams that are bone dry even after significant recent precip...
    Summer_End_02.jpg

Water left by park management near a road crossing...
    Summer_End_03.jpg

Camp near Brien Shelter...
    Summer_End_01.jpg

Yummy red beans and rice, of course with Andouille sausage!
    Summer_End_04.jpg

Happy and warm with the JRB Sierra Stealth!
    Summer_End_05.jpg

• + New Posts
  • Page 35 of 38 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast