Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brutalguyracing View Post
    dam work for me
    Keep us posted of trail conditions please

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    The trails are still in good shape but with the warm weather they get pretty soft by 10-11am, as I found out yesterday. I wore only microspikes up to Brien shelter from Silvermine then turned south on the AT, which wasn't nearly as well compacted, and very shortly found myself postholing. Yuk! So I hiked back down and got my snowshoes and headed up toward Stockbridge and followed the north Long path for a while and then back south, ending up at the nice area beneath/east of the 'cave'. So I got in a nice ~7.5 mile walk and a gorgeous camp. Saw a few day hikers but that was it. Overnight low was 19°F according to ThermoDrop and I was plenty warm with 20deg Revolt and 30deg Enigma, plus clothing layers of course. Wind was very light. Sipped some JD/Firecracker and smoked a great Avo Uvezian Classico #2.

My camp this morning... yep, I had a steaming mug o' coffee in hand as the sun broke the horizon!

My cook area...

Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    Fantastic!!!
    I wonder how the trails will be next Friday... I'm guessing snow will mostly all be gone.. ��

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    20210225_164711.jpg. 20210225_164358.jpg
    Bob.. I grabbed idea from Ryan (BPL) and made this base for my Reactor and Windburner stoves. Small piece of lightweight hobby wood with shock cord. I painted mine safety yellow and clear coated it .. So it can get wet from snow, ice or rain and won't matter. It weighs about 44 grams , I think.. Works awesome to set canister on snow and ice and keep pot nice and even balanced and keep canister off of snow.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtbaghiker View Post
    Fantastic!!!
    I wonder how the trails will be next Friday... I'm guessing snow will mostly all be gone.. ��
    Looking at the low/high temps and precip forecast, they might just hang in there for a while longer. I could take a recon trip over there next Thursday to see how they're faring.
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Bob.. I grabbed idea from Ryan (BPL) and made this base for my Reactor and Windburner stoves. Small piece of lightweight hobby wood with shock cord. I painted mine safety yellow and clear coated it .. So it can get wet from snow, ice or rain and won't matter. It weighs about 44 grams , I think.. Works awesome to set canister on snow and ice and keep pot nice and even balanced and keep canister off of snow.
    Ha that looks pretty stable! In the photo I'm using JB MightyMo and Olicamp XTS pot and a round piece of EVA foam under the canister. This worked well on the Pharaoh trip and it is a bit lighter than MiniMo so it is my new winter combo. Also lets me use the copper strip and N-butane in very cold weather. Wind resistance isn't anywhere near as good as Windburner, however!

Hammock
    Dutch Wide 11', H.H.
    Tarp
    Superfly, Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator 0, Jarbr
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    The trails are still in good shape but with the warm weather they get pretty soft by 10-11am, as I found out yesterday. I wore only microspikes up to Brien shelter from Silvermine then turned south on the AT, which wasn't nearly as well compacted, and very shortly found myself postholing. Yuk! So I hiked back down and got my snowshoes and headed up toward Stockbridge and followed the north Long path for a while and then back south, ending up at the nice area beneath/east of the 'cave'. So I got in a nice ~7.5 mile walk and a gorgeous camp. Saw a few day hikers but that was it. Overnight low was 19°F according to ThermoDrop and I was plenty warm with 20deg Revolt and 30deg Enigma, plus clothing layers of course. Wind was very light. Sipped some JD/Firecracker and smoked a great Avo Uvezian Classico #2.

My camp this morning... yep, I had a steaming mug o' coffee in hand as the sun broke the horizon!

My cook area...

What's the yellow mat it your last pic
    Looks different then the sit pad you had at 10mile
    Nice
    How much do you want for it?
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Ha that looks pretty stable! In the photo I'm using JB MightyMo and Olicamp XTS pot and a round piece of EVA foam under the canister. This worked well on the Pharaoh trip and it is a bit lighter than MiniMo so it is my new winter combo. Also lets me use the copper strip and N-butane in very cold weather. Wind resistance isn't anywhere near as good as Windburner, however!
    I was just about to pull the trigger on the inferno
    Your killing me smalls

So I broke out of work early friday to enjoy the awesome weather
    Had plans to try and up my milage on the snow shoes a bit, but at about 2.5 miles in they started to come apart
    I am just too HEAVY for these snowshoes (must find big guy shoes)
    I decided to find a spot and make camp and just do an out in the am
    Weather was stunning, snow was deep, bugs were out.....couldn't believe it.......I am not ready for bugs just yet
    Built camp, collected some fire wood, accessed snow shoe damage
    Set up my chair by the fire,fell over 3 times
    Wondered why I brought said chair
    Ate a meal, enjoyed a full moon
    Retired to bed around 7.30pm
    Awoke at 2am to snow sliding off the tarp, stoked the fire enjoyed the glow and the falling snow
    Got maybe 1-2 inches
    Fell back to sleep awoke at 6 am to sleep then rain
    Had a lazy morning watched a movie had some more coffee
    Packed up in the rain and headed back out
    All in all a great short trip
    I saw no one
    I think I am.pulling the trigger on a HG winter palace shortly as my silnylon superfly weighed a metric ton when packing

20210227_124719.jpg20210226_164803.jpg20210226_155725.jpg20210226_143415.jpg20210226_164515.jpg20210226_164504.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Hey BGR I'm glad you were able to get out and enjoy the last of winter! It's not really fun to pack up and hike out in a wet, cold mess but it's good to have the experience for future reference. But Friday was indeed spectacular!

The yellow pad is just a section cut from an old Evazote (CCF) sleep mat that I used for many years in the winter mountains. It was full length and I had glued one of the old ThermaRest self-inflating 3/4 air mats to it with Barge contact cement. I like the larger sit pad because it is long enough to cover my backside and my back up to about shoulder blades so that I can lean on logs and rocks, so I call it my 'chaise lounge mat' lol!

Funny about the bugs... there were thousands of those little 'snow flea' looking things and some of those skinny beetles identical to those in the photo you recently posted, and when I was pitching my tarp there was also some sort of insect that flew out from under it and startled the crap out of me! I couldn't believe we're having to put up with annoying bugs already!
    Last edited by cmoulder; 02-28-2021 at 07:28.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    I believe this spring/summer is cicada season???

Lmao... not for sale!!! Hahahaaa... funny.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I believe this spring/summer is cicada season???

Lmao... not for sale!!! Hahahaaa... funny.
    If you don't carry earplugs you'll regret it bigly.

Also, courting/territorial frogs, whippoorwills, owls and coyotes will make you wish you had 'em!

• + New Posts
  • Page 22 of 38 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast