GE ; RR ; Vertex ; Tentsile
    Tarp
    HG Cubens W/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti, Wookis, Lynx
    Suspension
    dyneema strap/ring
    Images
    Believe it or not, you wouldn't find these colors in France. But I had a chance to teach my mother tongue at Vassar College decades ago, in NY state, and I remember the same autumn colors. I checked on the map and this place on the picture seems to be not so far. That was fantastic, my best record from the US, actually. I did several watercolors at the time. That was one of them...
    Last edited by Rouskof; 09-04-2021 at 02:27.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

Sub 24 Overnight Harriman NY

Fall colors painted by Father Time, thanks for sharing, Rouskof
    Spanish was my choice of study as a required elective course. I could have bungled pronunciation of French to bring tears of laughter, so I opted out for what seemed an easier language.
    Did you also teach English when you returned to France?

If I ever taught knot tautology, loud cursing in several tongues would yield extra credit and enjoyment.

I’m not much of a painter, but as a caveman I would have been ok with palm prints on cave wall

Someone did a fish painting, by covering a whole fish with various bright colored paint—and then imprinting those colors on canvas pressed against the fish...I wonder if you can paint a woman the same way...would have to be careful to use non toxic paints

I just got done filming new hammock suspension and tarp videos. All knots for tarp and No Knots-No Hardware for hammock.
    I’m anxious to see what my friend leaves in final edit

The first sixty years of childhood were the hardest

Then I found hammocks!

Hammock
    GE ; RR ; Vertex ; Tentsile
    Tarp
    HG Cubens W/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti, Wookis, Lynx
    Suspension
    dyneema strap/ring
    Images
    Haha, all this is very encouraging, PG.
    I used to have a sculpture teacher at the Fine Arts in Rome who would not print fish, but the asses of cute women, in clay. And these masterpieces were exhibited all over his studio in series of dozens hanged on the walls. Quite intimidating when you entered : DD
    And you had to listen to him very seriously and with great respect when he was explaining and showing his technique.
    His ancestors the cavemen were probably somewhere further in evolution in their art, but the elected models were very proud of having the privilege to have their bottom immortalized by the master.

To me painting is a means of communication and although I teach art, I am not so sure it is something I can really teach... I think that trying to render what you see, whatever the means you have at hand is the best way to learn.

I never taught English, but always liked languages, and used to be fond of American literature. I still always keep Moby Dic k at hand, and sometimes read a few pages in the evening. The collusion between the wild, unpredictable wanderings of the crew and a precise, acute language with deeply investigating thoughts that also develops into unexpectedly flourished metaphors (whereas the initial trigger was maybe only a particular color of the sea or a certain habit of the fishermen or in fact almost any trivial fact) is what brings the most charm to it I find. This resembles much how people here can elaborate and ponder from a simple question like "is it better to use a single layer or a double layer hammock".

Cool if you are compiling your knowledge about knots, that's good news ! I recently discovered a new way to retrieve the suspension from the tree when it is set too high to be accessible. Then a friend told me it is a procedure they've been using for ages in speleology when they want to retrieve a long rope by use of a tiny one - this way avoiding to double the rope, and carrying less weight. You probably guess what I am talking about. But to me it was groundbreaking and I am planning to use the trick often now as it brings you the strap in hand in seconds and without any effort.
    I hope you include the Siberian hitch to set the tarp high ; )
    Last edited by Rouskof; 09-04-2021 at 08:33.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Thank you, Rouskof, glad you liked the photos. Colors are best when leaves are wet, and I was using a polarizing filter as well to tame the reflections.

I was using a Lumix GX-9 with the tiny 12-32mm zoom lens and the 45-175mm. Neither of these lenses get a lot of respect from the photography cognoscenti but I like them.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I got back this morning shortly before 9am to complete yet another Harriman Sub 24... it's my backyard practically so I'm there frequently! I did the loop from Silvermine Lake, Menomine trail to Wm Brien shelter, AT over Black Mtn, 1779 Trail to Turkey Hill, Long Path to Stockbridge Shelter.

The trails were quite wet in many places, but I was able to get through the vast majority of them by rock hopping, well enough that my shoes weren't utterly drenched as they have been on some other trips this summer. The trails have seen a lot of erosion and scouring, to the point that some trails are still streams, and others where the dirt has been scoured away and there's a bunch of rocks and rubble where a smooth trail used to be.

The weather was gloriously cool and dry and only a bit breezy, just enough to keep the mosquitoes and gnats at bay.

On the Long Path, south of Rt 6, where a fairly long section of trail is now a stream:

Speaking of Rt 6, holiday traffic at the Long Path crossing at Turkey Hill:

Typical trail 'scouring' by the recent heavy rain... this area on the Menomine, down from Stockbridge, used to be fairly smooth:

Manhattan skyline from Black Mtn:

At least the mushrooms and other fungi are 'happy' with all the rain:

Finally made it to one of my favorite camping areas in Harriman, just north of Stockbridge Shelter:

.... where there's a surprisingly good selection of trees for hammocking:

Another great sunset, after some worrisome clouds departed the area:

And a nice, warm fire to offset the chilly breeze:

Some of the berry bushes are always the first to show their fall colors. In a month, fall color will be abundant everywhere.

These fuzzy grass tassels were seen along almost every trail in Harriman:

Water flowing at a high rate into Lake Nawahunta:

Last edited by cmoulder; 09-04-2021 at 12:51.
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    PS, the last photo was kind of a mistake, but it made me think of one of my favorite photographers from a bygone era, Ernst Haas, who was very interested in these motion studies. I have one image of it that is sharp, but not nearly as interesting!

Hammock
    Sparrow 1.6 HyperD
    Tarp
    HG DCF w/doors 12'
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Poly/Dyneema
    Awesome looking trip, Bob. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hammock Backpackers Community 👇🏻
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/hammockbackpackers

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly View Post
    Awesome looking trip, Bob. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks, and I hope you're able to get out and enjoy this nice stretch of weather.

Hammock
    Sparrow 1.6 HyperD
    Tarp
    HG DCF w/doors 12'
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Poly/Dyneema
    Yep I’m out right now enjoying the Ridgerunner on top one of Harriman’s many mountaintops. Light breeze and an upcoming nap, then up for the sunset.

Hammock Backpackers Community 👇🏻
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/hammockbackpackers

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Great photo.

Nice that you could get out for a quickie. Our cooler weather is just around the corner... still Africa hot down here.

Thanks for posting.

• + New Posts
  • Page 32 of 38 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast