Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    HG DCF Camo Palace
    Insulation
    EE and Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Dutch Beetle Bucks
    I’m about 30 minutes from Harriman SP and have spent countless nights there and have my own list of stealth spots from over the years. Wish there was a Harriman meetup page/thread on here. I seem to spend most of my time there in the winter when the crowds are non-existent.

Here’s one of my favorites stealth spots… Far from the trail, not too far from overnight parking, water access, and facing west for nice sunsets.
    F2AD2E5B-A3ED-4CC4-9261-1B5D1C71AF3D.jpg

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    Whoaaa.. Sweet spot in Harriman!!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    HG DCF Camo Palace
    Insulation
    EE and Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Dutch Beetle Bucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtbaghiker View Post
    Whoaaa.. Sweet spot in Harriman!!
    Happy to share, DM me if you want the details on finding it.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Of Wolf and Man View Post
    I’m about 30 minutes from Harriman SP and have spent countless nights there and have my own list of stealth spots from over the years. Wish there was a Harriman meetup page/thread on here. I seem to spend most of my time there in the winter when the crowds are non-existent.

Here’s one of my favorites stealth spots… Far from the trail, not too far from overnight parking, water access, and facing west for nice sunsets.
    F2AD2E5B-A3ED-4CC4-9261-1B5D1C71AF3D.jpg
    Very nice campsite! I'd guess it's somewhere in the north end because of the birch trees.

To the extent that there's a meet-up thread, I think this is it. I have mentioned upcoming hikes and have actually done a couple with some other HF folks. So if you want some company just mention it in this thread and some of us 'locals' will certainly see it.

As you can see from some of my posts in this thread, I also just love winter hiking (snowshoeing, especially) and camping. I'm retired and do mostly midweek stuff so even in the finest fall weather that normally draws hordes of leaf-peepers I don't see many people on the trails.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    HG DCF Camo Palace
    Insulation
    EE and Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Dutch Beetle Bucks
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Very nice campsite! I'd guess it's somewhere in the north end because of the birch trees.

To the extent that there's a meet-up thread, I think this is it. I have mentioned upcoming hikes and have actually done a couple with some other HF folks. So if you want some company just mention it in this thread and some of us 'locals' will certainly see it.

As you can see from some of my posts in this thread, I also just love winter hiking (snowshoeing, especially) and camping. I'm retired and do mostly midweek stuff so even in the finest fall weather that normally draws hordes of leaf-peepers I don't see many people on the trails.
    Yep, it’s tucked away on the north end of Lake Askoti. Doesn’t look too far off trail on the map, but it’s difficult enough bushwacking and Boulder hopping where nobody will run into you.

As my pack gets heavier and my hikes get shorter in the winter, I tend to do more overnights in Harriman. I’ll definitely post up in this thread ahead of time to see if anyone wants to join me.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    Im usually down with it.. just depends on work and family schedule..but I do try to get out often.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Last week I was able to get out for a quick loop (only 7 mi) and a nice camp, from Tiorati Circle back to Fingerboard shelter area.

It was a bit windy and got down to 35°F but I was toasty warm with light kit, and there was a handy little rock shelf that provided a cozy kitchen nook where I was able to fix dinner in relative peace. And thankfully there are some streams flowing again so I needed to carry only a liter of water, at most.

Colors were very good, though still not quite peak. They're peak right about now, so I'm thinking about getting out for another round the next couple of days.

20221020_104914.jpg

20221020_105201.jpg

20221020_105400.jpg
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    You have a knack for finding flat rock stove and table base.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Ha, fortunately we have a lot of slate and exfoliating granite in the region so it's pretty common to find flat or near-'nuff flat to make it easy.

You're probably laughing at my ridiculously small coffee cup.

Edit: So I've just gotta add this funny: I'm doing another quickie overnight hike with Dirtbag and another fellow tomorrow, so getting stuff ready. I'm out on the deck filling my fuel bottle with Heet and Everclear. My wife is out there sweeping leaves off the deck, and I spill a little Everclear and make a disgusted grunt, telling her I spilled my fuel, and then I start licking it off my hand. She thinks I'm totally insane and expressed such. I did finally let her know it is made for human consumption.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 10-27-2022 at 13:24.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    So Dirtbaghiker (Joe) texts me and invites me to go with him a friend of his from Long Island named Bob (but not Bobonli) to Harriman Friday and Saturday and, being the Harriman-phile I am and with colors at or near peak, I did everything in my power to make it happen. This was to be an easy, low mileage hike, more about enjoying the perfect weather, seeing the sights and some relaxing camp time.

I kept my pack very light by not carrying hammock gear and sleeping on the ground, but in retrospect I wish I had. I wasn't cold at all by any means — it got down to 31°F — but I was tossing and turning quite a bit. Until it hits below 0°F, I'm taking the hammock from here on out. The hammock kit would seriously have added only a few ounces and it was a stupid decision. Besides, with 0% chance of precip I didn't carry a tarp anyway.

We were indeed treated to some spectacular color and we saw only one or two other people before our hike out this morning, and even then the usually very crowded Pine Meadow Brook Trail from Reeves Meadow seemed a lot less chaotic than usual.

20221029_163620.jpg 20221029_162736.jpg 20221028_111327.jpg

20221029_163421.jpg 20221029_162938.jpg 20221029_164834.jpg

20221029_164726.jpg 20221029_150931.jpg 20221029_151121.jpg 20221029_163725.jpg
    Last edited by cmoulder; 10-29-2022 at 16:19.

• + New Posts
  • Page 36 of 38 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 LastLast