DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Did a hike Fri-Sat of the Skannatati-Beech loop with Dirtbaghiker (Joe), MikekiM (Michael) and our new friend James, to which Joe added to the loop a pop over to Big Hill to make it a 9.4 mile day. In the summer it'd be a breeze but the snow conditions added to the workload to make it a solid Moderate that occasionally bordered on Difficult... especially after the snow softened later in the morning and early afternoon. Michael and I missed a turn and had to double back, which added an extra .6mi and gave us an even 10 miles for the day.

This was James's *first backpack ever* and he did a stellar job hanging in there and maintaining a great attitude. He and Joe decided to cut out the detour over to Big Hill so they had a cozy stealth camp near the intersection of Beech and Long Path. The timing was perfect the following morning and we all walked together for the final stretch back to the parking area at Skannatati.

Michael and I continued on to Big Hill and with the ever softening snow it was getting to be a bit of a slog, but steady progress had us arriving there right around 2:30pm with plenty of time to relax. It was still quite windy and we were very happy to have the calm haven inside the shelter to brew up some hot drinks and soup. We carried our chairs, and with the convenient rock shelves inside the shelter the accommodations were positively luxurious.

Daytime high temp was around freezing and overnight the low was 20°F with (thankfully!) very light wind overnight. The weather forecast called for 0% chance of precipitation, so naturally it was snowing lightly when I crawled out of the hammock at 5:50am. But it was very dry and fluffy and didn't amount to anything. As usual I had coffee cup in hand as the sun rose, but the direct rays couldn't quite pierce the low clouds so it didn't "officially" appear until about an hour later as we were enjoying breakfast and our second cups of coffee.

Despite carrying the chairs and down pants, our pack weights at the trail head were around 16-17 lbs, and we were totally comfortable for the entire trip and also had our little treats of Avo Uvezian cigars and JD/Fireball libations.

Enjoying a great sunrise at Big Hill

Luxurious accommodations!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Yeah. That looks nice, including Joe's separate thread.

I took a spur-of-the moment hike to Bald Rocks today, launching from Kanawauke Lake (new to me). First couple of hours were great then, at noon exactly, everything turned to slush. Last couple of hours were a drag with lots of postholing in microspikes.

Someone please explain to me what "Road Closed Ahead" means in Harriman. I obeyed the signs, adding a 3 mile round trip road walk, only to be passed by cars and find cars parked at the (closed) trailhead parking spot. Weather was great except for the slush!

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Glad you got out, Bob! I know I keep saying it, but this time I really think we're seeing the last of the snow. It was a bit warmer today so I can imagine how slushy it was getting.

I have seen cars sneak around the barriers at Kanawauke and head to the parking pull-outs. I guess if somebody got stuck in the snow and the rangers had to pull them out they might also ticket them. I once did the road walk from the other end of Kanawauke rd, which is the bus stop parking on Rt 17, and also had several cars zipping by me... I thought about putting my thumb out for a hitch!!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    Thats a great picture in front of the shelter!! Sorry we missed the sunrise, lol.
    It is a nice spot to camp.. in that area!!!
    You even got to hear the coyote that live near there.. last time i was there I heard them very close by too..

Hammock
    Dutch Wide 11', H.H.
    Tarp
    Superfly, Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator 0, Jarbr
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Did a hike Fri-Sat of the Skannatati-Beech loop with Dirtbaghiker (Joe), MikekiM (Michael) and our new friend James, to which Joe added to the loop a pop over to Big Hill to make it a 9.4 mile day. In the summer it'd be a breeze but the snow conditions added to the workload to make it a solid Moderate that occasionally bordered on Difficult... especially after the snow softened later in the morning and early afternoon. Michael and I missed a turn and had to double back, which added an extra .6mi and gave us an even 10 miles for the day.

This was James's *first backpack ever* and he did a stellar job hanging in there and maintaining a great attitude. He and Joe decided to cut out the detour over to Big Hill so they had a cozy stealth camp near the intersection of Beech and Long Path. The timing was perfect the following morning and we all walked together for the final stretch back to the parking area at Skannatati.

Michael and I continued on to Big Hill and with the ever softening snow it was getting to be a bit of a slog, but steady progress had us arriving there right around 2:30pm with plenty of time to relax. It was still quite windy and we were very happy to have the calm haven inside the shelter to brew up some hot drinks and soup. We carried our chairs, and with the convenient rock shelves inside the shelter the accommodations were positively luxurious.

Daytime high temp was around freezing and overnight the low was 20°F with (thankfully!) very light wind overnight. The weather forecast called for 0% chance of precipitation, so naturally it was snowing lightly when I crawled out of the hammock at 5:50am. But it was very dry and fluffy and didn't amount to anything. As usual I had coffee cup in hand as the sun rose, but the direct rays couldn't quite pierce the low clouds so it didn't "officially" appear until about an hour later as we were enjoying breakfast and our second cups of coffee.

Despite carrying the chairs and down pants, our pack weights at the trail head were around 16-17 lbs, and we were totally comfortable for the entire trip and also had our little treats of Avo Uvezian cigars and JD/Fireball libations.

Enjoying a great sunrise at Big Hill

Luxurious accommodations!
    i will caption this last pic for you
    NSFW
    https://youtu.be/Pfcy15ZUE2c

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Glad you got out, Bob! I know I keep saying it, but this time I really think we're seeing the last of the snow. It was a bit warmer today so I can imagine how slushy it was getting.

I have seen cars sneak around the barriers at Kanawauke and head to the parking pull-outs. I guess if somebody got stuck in the snow and the rangers had to pull them out they might also ticket them. I once did the road walk from the other end of Kanawauke rd, which is the bus stop parking on Rt 17, and also had several cars zipping by me... I thought about putting my thumb out for a hitch!!
    looking at high 60's this week

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtbaghiker View Post
    Thats a great picture in front of the shelter!! Sorry we missed the sunrise, lol.
    It is a nice spot to camp.. in that area!!!
    You even got to hear the coyote that live near there.. last time i was there I heard them very close by too..
    man i miss the coyotes....havent herd any in months

Hammock
    Dutch Wide 11', H.H.
    Tarp
    Superfly, Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator 0, Jarbr
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Not a overnighter but a day hike
    Took a noob out for a day hike
    And it went a little something like this
    Got attacked by ravens, guarding a nest in a cave
    That was a highlight for me
    Cant believe I never been in that mine before.....
    Tried out some new shoes, worked well even tho I was soaked half the day...
    Windy as all hell, saw a tree fall
    Yes it does make noise
    Overall a good day....Screenshot_20210314-163952_Locus Map.jpgScreenshot_20210314-163933_Locus Map.jpg20210314_133010.jpg20210314_141849.jpg20210314_141058.jpg20210314_135320.jpg20210314_122955.jpg20210314_121026.jpg20210314_104125.jpg20210314_103925.jpg20210314_103303.jpg20210314_115155.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    Lol.. Nice. You actually go into the mines??? And is he drinking from that puddle??

Hammock
    Sparrow 1.6 HyperD
    Tarp
    HG DCF w/doors 12'
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Poly/Dyneema
    Lol.. Nice. You actually go into the mines??? And is he drinking from that puddle??
    And wearing jeans

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hammock Backpackers Community 👇🏻
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/hammockbackpackers

Hammock
    Dutch Wide 11', H.H.
    Tarp
    Superfly, Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator 0, Jarbr
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    I go into any mine shaft I can that's not flooded
    This on was not very deep and guarded by angry ravens
    Fahnstock has a great mine
    And did mammoth cave Kentucky many years back
    And no he carried 8 bottles of water with him and 2 full military more meals and ate both
    Even had a few white out snow squalls today
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly View Post
    And wearing jeans

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yup and red wing boots
    And carried his backpack over the one shoulder for most of day
    We shall see if he ever returns

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch Wide 11', H.H.
    Tarp
    Superfly, Noah 12'