DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    If anyone wants to join, I'm planning to do a Tue-Wed (1/19-20) quickie, starting a bit earlier (say on the trail at 8am) on Tue and hiking 10-12 mi, then camping someplace with a short out Wed morning. Open to route suggestions anywhere in Harriman and can reduce the distance if that works for you.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    If anyone wants to join, I'm planning to do a Tue-Wed (1/19-20) quickie, starting a bit earlier (say on the trail at 8am) on Tue and hiking 10-12 mi, then camping someplace with a short out Wed morning. Open to route suggestions anywhere in Harriman and can reduce the distance if that works for you.
    Definitely tempted, but can't swing this week due to prior plans. Interested in exploring Harriman area since camping in NJ is shut down for the time being. Following this thread in case future opportunities come up, as I'd love to tag along with some folks who know the area if/when possible.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    As I like to say, I like hiking with friends but going solo can be pretty nice because you have to consult with only one guy when making decisions.

And so it was when I decided to pick off another of those rare snippets of Harriman that I haven't done yet. Most of them are the little connector trails between the major ones, but one I have been thinking of doing for a long time is a piece of the Long Path, west from Torrey Memorial to the park boundary near Woodbury. However I wanted to make it a bit longer so I decided to start at the 1777 Trail head on Seven Lakes Drive near the intersection of the AT and walk around Turkey Hill Lake, up Torrey and then follow the LP west to the boundary. The distance to the boundary is 8.2mi, so I figured I'd hike until about 4pm and start looking for somewhere to camp. That turned out to be in a deep hollow named Deep Hollow () that is situated between Howell Mtn and Torrey.

It was rather windy all day and I was walking into it. There was a fair amount of up-n-down because the trail runs perpendicular to ridges, and for the most part there is a rather narrow — sometimes extremely narrow — corridor with Long Mountain Parkway on the south side and West Point Military Academy training areas on the north side. The trail peters out rather ignominiously as a sad old tarmac road that empties into some suburb of Woodbury. However, from there the Long Path continues north up through the Catskills and on to Albany. Maybe I'll do that someday! I had to be careful on the hike out this morning as there was a dusting of snow on the rocks... fortunately there were no spills at all for me, and normally I end up busting my keister on something or other on most trips.

It got down to 24°F last night according to my trusty ThermoDrop, and I was very warm and comfortable all night with my Eddie Bauer down jacket and Montbell down pants. I was also using the HG Palace and the 20deg EE Revolt and 30deg Enigma TQ. I had some spicy-hot Korean noodles for dinner and a marvelous Avo Uvezian cigar to cap off the evening. No JD Single Barrel this trip.

“If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Nicely done!

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    Awesome!! I love it.

Hammock
    Dutch Wide 11', H.H.
    Tarp
    Superfly, Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator 0, Jarbr
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Nice
    Any ticks this time of year?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brutalguyracing View Post
    Nice
    Any ticks this time of year?

Ha, none thankfully, although they can indeed pop out of nowhere if you get a few warm days strung together. Best thing about this time of year is it's usually dry and there are no spider webs strung across the trail — now those things really annoy me!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Best thing about this time of year is it's usually dry and there are no spider webs strung across the trail...
    And fewer to no other people!

Nice report for your winter outing... too bad you left the JD Single Barrel behind.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ObdewlaX View Post
    And fewer to no other people!

Nice report for your winter outing... too bad you left the JD Single Barrel behind.
    Good point... I did not see anybody on the trail except for a few day hikers in the vicinity of Torrey.

I might re-think the whiskey next time!

Hammock
    Dutch Wide 11', H.H.
    Tarp
    Superfly, Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator 0, Jarbr
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    So I was able to sneak out of work early friday and get a hike in
    Started at 2.30pm from lake skattanki and did Bob's loop in reverse
    Started up pine mtn then followed the red cross trail over the road
    I started looking for a place to crash, ended up on haseneclever rd a bit and went over a hill
    Setup shop, (anyone else ever feel like a noob,even at 100 nights a year) walked down to a nearby creek and treated some water, then almost got lost on way back to camp
    Then started cooking with my semi new fire ant stove
    And my new evernew 600ml pot
    And made up some chicken and dumplings (one of my favorite mtn house meals)
    Then the wind started
    I decided for the good of the forest, it was not the time for a fire
    Had a smoke and headed to bed early, 6.30pm
    At about 11pm I decided my hang sucked and thanks to."mikem", I got out and fixed it
    As i had put it off too long already
    In the am I awoke to find some deer nearby and a bottle of water half frozen
    I used the alcohol stove to boil up and unfreeze all my water bottles and had a cup of coffee
    Then headed out back to the red trail to beech trail and then to the aqua trail
    Wind was crazy and my legs were spent
    Had a great time, saw no one today and 3 people on pine mtn and 2 on the cross trail on friday who said they captured and put down a problem bear in the area and said my camo attire was stealthy
    My pack weight was down to 16.6 minus water
    I eliminated the center pole for this trip and regretted it
    I also forgot my tooth brush and mouth wash, paper map and chapstick
    And my new "overnighter" 5000mah battery bank sucked and I was only able to get 44% of a charge for the hike out in the am...so I have no tracking for today, but my Fitbit said 7.8 miles which seemed like an over stretch to me, but who knows I did get lost once and back tracked a bit
    Overall had a great time
    Pretty sure my pack is just about dialed in
    But
    I do have a question for you guys
    Do you loosen and redo your straps after taking the pack off?
    I do the hip belt, but leave the straps and load lifters
    Overall I like the olm pack, now I need to loose the weight
    Here are some picks
    20210122_150159.jpg20210122_150150.jpg20210122_152847.jpg20210122_152824.jpg20210122_162723.jpg20210123_081437.jpg20210123_073845.jpg20210123_103407.jpg20210123_084252.jpg20210123_102142.jpg20210123_074248.jpg

• + New Posts
  • Page 17 of 38 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast