Page 18 of 38 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Glad you had a good hike. Bob's routes are excellent. The wind was whipping last night, for sure. I have a 'habit' with my straps: as I pull up to where I'll stop I loosen everything >> take pack off >> do whatever it is I stopped for >> put pack back on and readjust straps. Inevitably things get moved around during camp or even a lunch break and the pack isn't exactly as it was when you first put it on. Readjusting is like getting that custom fit again and it only takes a moment. But I may be a bit OCD about it! I'm like that with zippers too: they're open for only as long as I need to pull something out, then closed right up so nothing dumps out if the pack tips over etc.

I can't help but ask, "put down a problem bear"....did someone remove it or did they just leave it there?

Hammock
    Dutch Wide 11', H.H.
    Tarp
    Superfly, Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator 0, Jarbr
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    Glad you had a good hike. Bob's routes are excellent. The wind was whipping last night, for sure. I have a 'habit' with my straps: as I pull up to where I'll stop I loosen everything >> take pack off >> do whatever it is I stopped for >> put pack back on and readjust straps. Inevitably things get moved around during camp or even a lunch break and the pack isn't exactly as it was when you first put it on. Readjusting is like getting that custom fit again and it only takes a moment. But I may be a bit OCD about it! I'm like that with zippers too: they're open for only as long as I need to pull something out, then closed right up so nothing dumps out if the pack tips over etc.

I can't help but ask, "put down a problem bear"....did someone remove it or did they just leave it there?
    They looked official
    Said they were checking on their camp
    Said the bear was a "problem bear" and the dec officers "put it down"
    It was by the camp thendra area

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brutalguyracing View Post
    So I was able to sneak out of work early friday and get a hike in...
    That's a cool pic of the little cemetery... do you know any history behind it?

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by silentorpheus View Post
    Definitely tempted, but can't swing this week due to prior plans. Interested in exploring Harriman area since camping in NJ is shut down for the time being. Following this thread in case future opportunities come up, as I'd love to tag along with some folks who know the area if/when possible.
    I'll post something here when I'm going... hope you can make it soon!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Hey BRG, glad you were able to get out and do the loop!

It really does sound like you're getting your kit dialed. Nothing better than trail time and camping after a hike — putting it up and taking it down, and cooking and eating and being happy and comfortable in the woods.

Losing your way going back to camp is a rite of passage. I once got all turned around in the fog at Giant Ledge and wandered around for about 20 minutes before going to the 'natural handrail' technique to find my campsite.

That location is not very far from Bald Rocks where there has been a bear problem (caused by people!) for some time, so maybe this spring they can re-open the area and put up a food hang like the one at Fingerboard, where they previously had a bear problem as well. I like to think they hauled out the bear carcass because nearly all of the shelters can be approached by ATV.
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ObdewlaX View Post
    That's a cool pic of the little cemetery... do you know any history behind it?
    Hey ObdewlaX, those graves are from the 1860s, and I've got to think that there are many more graves in the area that are lost to time with so much natural debris covering them after so many years. I don't know the full story behind, even after some googling, but the cemetery restoration, such as it is, was an Eagle Scout project in 1990. Wow, it's sobering to think that was 31 years ago! Some of them are Civil War veterans, at least one who was an artillery soldier named Timothy Youmans who died (presumably in the war) in 1865 at 35 years of age. There was also a young child, Hiram Jones, who died shortly before his 4th birthday.

Eagle scout restored cemetery_02.jpg Eagle scout restored cemetery.jpg
    Last edited by cmoulder; 01-23-2021 at 20:08.

Hammock
    Dutch Wide 11', H.H.
    Tarp
    Superfly, Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator 0, Jarbr
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    It's funny because I asked them if it was the same bear that was terrorizing bald rocks and they look baffled
    And from what I know
    They installed a bear lines like fingerboard at bald rocks recently and the area is now opened

Here is some more pics of the cemetery

Not bringing a paper map almost cut my trip short
    It's funny because when I take my friends day hiking I give out maps to all and have highlighted in "different colors" routes between 5 and 8 miles and let the. Decide what routes and mileage

Hammock
    Dutch Wide 11', H.H.
    Tarp
    Superfly, Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator 0, Jarbr
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brutalguyracing View Post
    It's funny because I asked them if it was the same bear that was terrorizing bald rocks and they look baffled
    And from what I know
    They installed a bear lines like fingerboard at bald rocks recently and the area is now opened

Here is some more pics of the cemetery

Not bringing a paper map almost cut my trip short
    It's funny because when I take my friends day hiking I give out maps to all and have highlighted in "different colors" routes between 5 and 8 miles and let the. Decide what routes and mileage

Hmm... it seems there are more and more bear sightings and problems than I remember in years past.

I did see a large male near Nawahunta last summer and a ranger at Silvermine Lake said the bears are raiding the dumpsters there. One day I saw some park employees using a work truck to chase a bear away from the picnic pavilion.

Glad to hear they've got the cable up at Bald Rocks.

Yes, I know the area pretty well but I still feel nekkid without a physical map!

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post

Very similar here. I don't normally adjust shoulder strap length, but the chest and waist must be adjusted anyway if removing or adding clothing layers. Putting on a Polartec 200 fleece jacket under the shell definitely demands more girth in both waist and chest webbing, and of course the reverse if removing a layer.

• + New Posts
  • Page 18 of 38 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast