Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    I'll add more routes as I complete them, in an effort to share with those looking for quick and easy over-nighters near NYC. And for the latest installment:

Pine Meadow Lake (loop) from the Ramapo Equestrian Center. Chapter 5 in the NY-NJ TC book "Circuit Hikes in Harriman" Park at the Equestrian Center (Google Maps will take you there) but not in one of the reserved spots for the stables. The lot at the top of the road heading down to the stables is best. The start of the trail is not particularly well marked, and behind the stables. From there, hike 1.3 miles uphill (all my trips are uphill both ways!).Eventually it levels out and there are some nice views along the way to the lake.

Looping around in front of the lake you'll eventually come to the Stone Memorial Shelter. There were quite a few campers in the sites adjacent to the shelter, including one hammocker who had an entire outpost set up with separate suspension lines for his pack, clothes and I think he was dry aging meat on a third line

Always look up!

I haven't hiked in this corner of the park but there was a LOT of deadfall, more so than I've seen elsewhere. That giant branch was hanging in limbo over the first site I selected. In a park that's wall to wall trees, it can still take some time to find the right combination of trees and terrain.

Up with the chirping birds so I could get home in time to cook brunch, and was rewarded with a nice sunrise

This was my first trip with the Altra Lone Survivor shoes. I've been using traditional boots. They're a trade off in terms of rock protection versus weight and breathability. In some ways they're like hiking in enclosed sandals. It took a few miles to get accustomed to them but my feet definitely felt as though they hadn't been lifting weights all day. Keepers. It was also the first trip with an Ursack. I won't go back to throwing rocks at trees!! End of the day pack the food and cook kit into the bag, tie it off and go to sleep.

The HG Wanderlust continues to provide a good night's sleep. I peeled the net back >>> WOW it completely changes the sleep experience for the better, as does an UQ (dipped to 55 overnight).

Lessons Learned:
    I waited too long to try trail runners.
    I dont miss the net now that bugs are gone
    I tried packing the hammock, UQ, and TQ as one unit, shoving it to the bottom of the pack for the return trip. What a junk show of tangled cords when I unpacked at home. I have to work on that....the panel loading pack probably doesn't help.

7.4 miles total including an excursion to the lake....and I was back home in time to cook pancakes for the family! It's not a lot of miles but it's better than nothing. It gets me out there, clears the head and builds skills and experience.
    Looks like another good loop! I don't have that guidebook but it seems to be a good one for getting familiar with the park.

Glad the Altra (Lone Peak?) trail runners worked out for you. I've tried different Altra models and always come back to Lone Peaks, so I'm done experimenting. Cold, nasty weather will demand different footwear, but those are my choice most of the year.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    I like the NY-NJ TC books because they take some of the guesswork out of last minute planning. I can see the mileage, exertion level and description and pretty much know what I’m getting myself into. Then I get the big map out and get a better look at terrain and look to see if there will be water sources. Then I plot it in Gaia which has saved my bacon twice when I walked past obscure trail junctions ( there’s one by Pine Meadow Lake where the trail ducks behind a Boulder).

Yes Lone Peaks. I couldn’t resist the movie reference-pun.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Bobonli, Nice pic and trip report. Thank you. I was able to experience Harriman once back on 10-30-16. I spent the week on business in Crotonville and planned a Sunday afternoon flight out of Stewart. This gave me the weekend to explore. When a Meet-up.com outing with a NYC camping group fell apart due to cancelations, including the trip organizer, I was left with an open weekend. I started at Lake Skannatati, and went to the Bald Rocks shelter area. Your NY granite slit my hammock in half when I sank too low and contacted it. I spent a cold and windy 30F night on the rock covered ground. Much wiser now I would love to get back as it is a truly beautiful place.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    That's a nice trip... Thanks for sharing. I have that book and used to refer to often. These days I prefer to get a bit more remote in the park.

Altras - I waited way too long as well. Summer I wear Superiors and wet and cold I wear Lone Peak RSM Mids. Not sure how I did without them, though there are still times of technical & rock hopping when I long for the snugger, more supportive fit.

Looks like you have some Ramen Rescue ready to go!

I am hoping to take this Friday off and do an overnight in Harriman...
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    HG Bug Net
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG 20* Phoenix
    Love the view from Claudius Smith Rock, that's beautiful

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Fall colors are at or close to peak... this weekend is great and there's still a good amount of green mixed in. I'm guessing that after next weekend it'll be on the downslope after that.

My campsite north of Stockbridge:

Lake Nawahunta (near Silvermine) this morning:

“If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Spectacular! And I recognize that patch of land you set up at!
    Was it muddy?

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    No, not muddy at all, though not tinder dry, either. However, after all the recent rain I thought that maybe some of the smaller streams might be running, but there wasn't a drop! The ground is so dry it just soaked it all up and there was no runoff.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    ggggrrrrrr....... pissed I missed that.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    ggggrrrrrr....... pissed I missed that.
    Still primo for about another week or so!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast