Thread: Nest Sag Help?

Hammock
    HH ULBA, but can't wait to try more
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Images
    Right on Dreamer! The Nest and CCF pad inside is exactly what I used to stay warm too! I don't have a No Sniveller though, I use my WM 20 degree bag either unzipped like a quilt or on really cold nights, I zip up in it, and I also woke up sweating. Nice problem to have though, in temps like that. Nothing worse than having every piece of gear trying to keep you warm and still being cold. I am not tall, but what you're describing is basically your lower body, is where I found I was cold too, until adding my ccf pad. Hmmm..that's 2 of us now that have found this to work. Thanks for updating on your progress. Helps out the rest of us newbies.
    This is my signature.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    I think I have figured out how to use the nest in my hammock... It is to use a pad as well. I have long legs that create two pressure points in the hammock; one at the butt, and one at the feet. This creates a large space in between the hammock and the nest under my butt to my feet. I have tried everything and can't get rid of this sag. So, my solution is to sue the blue pad I have and the nest. This has been working wonderfully into the 20s. My only problem is that the no sniveller is so warm that I start to sweat where I am touching the pad. This eventually makes me cold. I think I am am getting close to finding a nice balance. I am going to try to make a speer hammock and see if it helps with this issue. Anyway, thank you all for your help.
    Some folk put a clothes bag under the knees to alliviate leg lock....seems that it would also help by putting a hammock tension point mid way between the hips and heels... less sweat issues than a pad also...

Also if you attach the Nest slit to the HH slit make it the last step...note that often there is 2-3 inches of Nest slit past the HH slit....just close it on itself for these 2-3 inches...don't try to make it even cause that may cause an air pocket.... Hope these ideas/comments help.... call if this issue persists.

Pan

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Quote Originally Posted by Smee View Post
    Just a point of clarification. Here's a good picture showing how to attach the suspension system.

I always attach the quilt to the Hennessy slit. That shouldn't prevent the slit from closing as long as the quilt isn't billowing up into the slit. The weight of your body in the hammock should close the slit. If the quilt is preventing the slit from closing, push it back out of the hole.

One thing you might want to check is centering of the quilt on the hammock. Try sliding the quilt more to the head end by tightening the suspension system at the head end.

Another alternative is to close the quilt on itself for 12 inches or so at the crotch of the slit. That will block the opening after you're in but still allow you to enter through the slit.

Above all, keep trying. There are a variety of adjustments available on the Nest (side tabs, end cords, suspension system, omni-tape, etc.). Eventually you will find the configuration that will work for you. When it's right it's too sweet to miss out.
    Does a Prusik knot hold the suspenion lines better?

Images
    Ive never tried a prussik, but the way its tied above allows for multiple adjustments. The suspension slides easily back and forth but still holds the quilt securely. BD
    Just Jeff made me do it

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I doubt a prussik would be better than a simple larkshead with the shockcord. When you cinch down the shockcord on a larkshead, it's still adjustable. With a prussik, the stretched shockcord wouldn't be able to release...it would probably still work, but not as well as a tight larkshead IMO.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123