Images

Lightbulb Dry-Bag Pillow Experiment - You Can Help!

I'm wondering if i can create a hammock knee-pillow from a dry bag by simply "inflating" it. I'm not sure which, if any, brands are air-tight. I need your help to test this.

If you have a 20L+ dry bag (the kind with a roll-top and clip), please try the following and report your findings:

1) As best as you can, puff the bag up with your breath, roll the top down extra securely and clip shut.

2) Use the closed bag as a knee pillow or just let it sit out a few days by itself.

3) Observe if the bag deflates or holds air over night.

4) Report here if it "WORKED" or "FAILED", and list what brand/model bag you have.

I am interested in your findings. Thanks for the help!

Hammock
    DIY bridge
    Tarp
    DIY
    Failed- I using a Mustang brand 35L roll top bag. I tried to use it as a pillow during an overnight Scout event (OA Ordeal) It deflated pretty quickly when I laid my head on it. Used my boots as a pillow.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr XL
    FYI: there is a company (Thermarest? I think) who already makes a similar product. One version, called the "Fillo" is even meant to function as an air mattress fill bag/bellows. I don't recall them having very good reviews, but haven't looked at them in some time. Good luck!

I tried this, a couple months ago, with a silnylon bag from MEC. It was much quieter than your vacuum storage bag idea, but it leaked, so I'm back with the crinkly plastic. (I use ear plugs, anyway!)

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5046-8...icone-Dry-Sack

Quote Originally Posted by Grunt View Post
    FYI: there is a company (Thermarest? I think) who already makes a similar product. One version, called the "Fillo" is even meant to function as an air mattress fill bag/bellows. I don't recall them having very good reviews, but haven't looked at them in some time. Good luck!
    It's Nemo. But I think the point is to have dry storage in the pack, during the day, and a pillow at night.

Images
    SilNylon hasnt worked for me either.

I like the vacuum bags, but they lack durability when also using them as a stuff sack. The zippers tend to lose integrity at some point, although i'm still impressed at general performance. The ones I have are not big enough to hold literally everything in my bag, which is what i'm hoping to find (i.e. a tough 40L dry bag that becomes inflatable pillow)

I think the solution to the zipper integrity problem is to add some adhesive Velcro and always fold it over, after sealing. That way there's no pressure from the inflation.

It seems so obvious to me that one of the inflatable pillow manufacturers could just add a ziploc-style seal at one end of an existing pillow, and then you could stuff your sleep clothes in it. Until they do, I'll be carrying a large-ish vacuum storage bag for my quilt and sleep clothes (knee pillow, stuffed in tube made from poly t-shirt) and the smallest one I could find for my clean socks and undies (head pillow, stuffed in fleece ThermaRest pillowcase).

Reading this made me think of my CNOC water bags. They are soft/rubbery, and airtight. Would likely make a decent pillow in warmer weather.

• + New Posts