Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps

How do you put linelocs on commercial tarp D-rings (or triangles)?

LineLoc seems to be a generic term because I’ve seen it apply to a triangle shaped plastic that garbs the guy line and RSBTR’s linelocs are a completely different shape. The RSBTR units look like they’d work well, but it appears they must be added by attaching them to the tarp with a nylon loop. Is there some trick to using them on a tarp that already has D-Rings? Or has that bus already left the station and locks (locs) on the cord itself would be the simplest next step?
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WB--Dutch-Clark-Amok
    Tarp
    WB-CC-UGQ-Amok
    Insulation
    Down and Synthetic
    Suspension
    CL/Becket~LA/ 7/64
    Line Lock Hooks will work with 1/2" Beasty D-Rings https://dutchwaregear.com/product/line-lock-hook/

These will work with split rings, triangles or Grosgrain loops https://zpacks.com/products/lineloc-v-with-loop
    Livin’ Large ~ Horizontally

Hammock
    WB BBXLC, DWG Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly, HG DCF
    Insulation
    Katabatic TQ,HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Beetle
    I like to take about a foot of shock cord and make a loop using a double fisherman's knot. I then larks head it onto the Lineloc V and also larks head it onto the d-rings or triangles. This has worked great for me and also gives me a bit of play in my guy lines for my silpoly tarps. I'm sure I learned this from somebody else on here, but it has been working great for me.

linelocs_wshock.jpg

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Wh1sti3Punk - thank you for that suggestion. My only concern is the bungee failing. As such, I’ve larks head my bungee and solid guy line to the tarp. Then I put a little slack in the solid guy line, make a loop (get to practice my Alpine knot) and tie the bungee to that. The result is, the bungee stretches but the guy line limits the stretch so it won’t over expand and break.

These days I’m thinking that is too much caution and I like the simplicity of your solution. If the wind is so strong that it would snap a bungee cord - I have other things to (immediately) consider. Even if the bungee failed because it was old or tripped over, for the short duration of the adventure I could just tie the guy line directly to the tarp the way we’ve done it for decades.

Which linelocs are you using? 1-Hung-Low gave a link to Zpacks (thank you) model that can be larks headed to any D-Ring. RSBTR’s linelocs have a plastic hook that would fit over a split ring. It’s not clear if they would fit over a thicker plastic triangle.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WB BBXLC, DWG Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly, HG DCF
    Insulation
    Katabatic TQ,HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Beetle
    I have had that concern as well with shock cord, but with it doubled up it has held up fine in some strong winds. I had frustration finding the breaking point of the shock cord I'm using, so I guess I am assuming some risk with my current setup.

I have considered doing the same thing but with a cordage loop on the lineloc, and then just using the 'Self Tensioning Guy Lines'. I may reconsider and go that way. The thing I love about having the linelocs connected with a loop is that it is very easy for me to change out if I want to use hardware like fleaz etc.

I have used both the Lineloc V from Zpacks or the Line Lock V from Dutchware. I assume they are the same hardware and work great with the 1.8mm line I use.

I've also used the Lineloc V with Loop from Zpacks mentioned above that work very well. It sounds trivial, but I found them somewhat difficult to change out if I wanted to use something else. Something about those tight grossgrain loops make it hard for me to manipulate.

I think I have those same LineLock Hook from RSBTR, and it may work in certain situations, but it doesn't fit on the beastie d-rings on my DWG tarp or on the triangle on my WB tarp. I like the idea of having a split ring for that purpose, but I'd be concerned that if it doesn't clip on, that it might be finicky or fall off in the wind.

Hammock
    WB BBXLC, DWG Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly, HG DCF
    Insulation
    Katabatic TQ,HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Beetle
    One other item of note, during some very high winds with my current setup, the titanium split ring connected from my tarp to my ridgeline severely malformed (did not fail) and the ground tie-outs with the shock cord loops did hold fine.

That said, I did find some places online that said the 1/8th shock cord only has 80-100lbs of strength, so it may be just a matter of time before it fails on me. I'm glad this thread made me rethink my setup again, I'm somewhat new to hanging and constantly learning.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Wh1stl3Punk View Post
    I like to take about a foot of shock cord and make a loop using a double fisherman's knot. I then larks head it onto the Lineloc V and also larks head it onto the d-rings or triangles. This has worked great for me and also gives me a bit of play in my guy lines for my silpoly tarps. I'm sure I learned this from somebody else on here, but it has been working great for me.

linelocs_wshock.jpg
    I use a similar set up. For those concerned about breaking strength, I'm happy to sacrifice a piece of shock cord to save the tarp if I happen to trip over it. If the wind is strong enough to break the cord, I'm likely to be on the hunt for a more sheltered spot. I wouldn't be surprised if the plastic line-loc failed before some of the other parts, but I'm not going to test it.

Hammock
    Little Shop of Hammocks
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Suspension
    J Bend

linelocs_wshock.jpg
    Yo. Why didn’t I think of making these before seam-ripping the triangle rings from my tarp and sewing linelocks w/grosgrain in their place!

Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    Doors for sure
    Insulation
    Love some down
    Suspension
    Usualy helps

linelocs_wshock.jpg
    I do the same but with a small continuous loop made of zing-it/lash-it/reflect-it.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KingMob View Post
    Yo. Why didn’t I think of making these before seam-ripping the triangle rings from my tarp and sewing linelocks w/grosgrain in their place!
    One advantage of doing it your way is that it makes the overall [ridge line + connections] a little shorter, maybe making it easier to pitch with closely spaced trees.

Using Prusik loops as I do, I've even thought about removing the D rings and tying the Prusik loops directly thru the tarp's grosgrain loops. Appeals to my compulsion for absolute simplicity.

I am, admittedly, a little crazy that way.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast