Jacks R Better Bear Mountain Bridge
    Tarp
    Paladin
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Love the guyline system on the quarter dome tarp

The REI quarter dome tarp has webbing coming out of the tarp with tension locks attached. It made tying out a sinch.

I'd like to add something like this to my supefly but I don't have any sewing skills. Any suggestions? Thanks.

you have a few options, without having to sew anything: you can try to get some of those "hook linelocs" which is probably the closest to what you say you love (but i don't know the rei tarp, and not posting any picture of the guyline system on yours doesn't help). maybe something like this:

https://ripstopbytheroll.com/products/lineloc-hook

or you could just learn to tie some simple knot, whic would enable you to fix such problem for any tarp at any time (so a skill aquired which you get to reuse, instead of just buying hardware)

or you could learn to tie two simple knots, and set it up so that it works like those lineloc tensioning systems, without having to tie knots in the field (only one time at setup), as i showed here:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-single-handed

hope it helps, good luck, and maybe next time help us help you with some more info and some pics of what you have/want.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Paladin
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by nanok View Post
    you have a few options, without having to sew anything: you can try to get some of those "hook linelocs" which is probably the closest to what you say you love (but i don't know the rei tarp, and not posting any picture of the guyline system on yours doesn't help). maybe something like this:

or you could just learn to tie some simple knot, whic would enable you to fix such problem for any tarp at any time (so a skill aquired which you get to reuse, instead of just buying hardware)

or you could learn to tie two simple knots, and set it up so that it works like those lineloc tensioning systems, without having to tie knots in the field (only one time at setup), as i showed here:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-single-handed

hope it helps, good luck, and maybe next time help us help you with some more info and some pics of what you have/want.
    Thanks for the gentle reminder that I need to put more work into my posts if I want others to help me. I looked online for awhile trying to find a picture of how they rigged their guylines but couldn't find anything. The website just said they were tension locks.

So here is a photo of what they look like
    IMG_9041.jpg

Again, some webbing attached to linelocks. It looks like the ones you sent me but the ones you sent attach to other cord instead of webbing? Then the guylines have a permanent loop at the end, like a bowline. The loop goes over the stakes and then you cinch up the tension from these linelocks connected to the tarp.

I hope that gives you a better idea. Sorry again.

Thanks for the two knot system. I'll definitely be learning that as well to see if I like it.

I tried using a friction hitch before (can't remember the name of the exact one) or a marlin spike hitch. I'm looking for a better way after using the quarter dome tarp.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Yep those look to be LineLocs: https://ripstopbytheroll.com/collect...ucts/lineloc-3

Same concept as with the hook, but these attach to webbing/grosgrain.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Paladin
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Does anyone find these linelock hooks coming off of their tarp?

It looks like they sort of snap onto a loop that connects to your tarp. Are they secure? Could they fall off when you are getting the tarp out or putting the tarp away?

I'd hate for these to get lost.

On the other hand it might be nice to have detachable guylines.

Thoughts?

great, thanks for the photo, it removes so much of the guesswork. what's on the tarp you want to modify, webbing loops, or something else?

the lineloc hooks: i don't own or use any, but it is clear you should not rely on them staying attached while there's no load, indeed as you said they make sense only if you want to detach the guylines in storage (maybe mix and match tarps and guylines, "for the discerning tarp hicker with many tarps " ? :P )

you can sort of have your cake and eat it, by using something like my weird softshackle for both the connection to the tarp and the friction hitch on the guyline. the one i described mostly in the thread is made with spliceable line, but that's not necessary, you can make it very quickly and easily from any line, with just a few well placed overhand knots. this makes for detachable guylines which will stay attached even without load, unless you decide to take them off. i've been testing this for a while now, and while it doesn't look as blingy as some of the hardware people use, it works very nicely, it's simple to use and light. what i also like a lot is that you just need a piece of line and you can make one in a few minutes, so can be repaired etc "on site" once you know how it works and how to make it.

here's one of the recent ones i made, installed on the guyline. it's basically a piece of scavanged paraglider line (cause i happen to have some around), two overhand knots and the stopper at the end is ashley's stopper (but it could be something else, i just like ashley's)

IMG_20200929_125147.jpg-small-sig3.jpg

here you can see the ashley stopper captured in the middle loop, which is how it attaches to the tarp. the blue handle is just to make it easy to release when under tension (especially with gloves on or such), as this paraglider line is so slim it can be quite difficult to grab it (the guyline itself is 2mm, the para line is about 1mm i would estimate, the blue line is also 2mm); you might not need something like the blue handle if you don't use such skinny line (as i showed in the video in the original thread about these)

IMG_20200929_124732.jpg-small-sig3.jpg
    Last edited by nanok; 09-29-2020 at 15:09. Reason: broken attachements

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Bandit TQ Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    On my Superfly I did loops of shock cord at each tie out and then I have the guylines permanently attached to my stakes. On each guyline is a Line Lock Hook. Stick the stake in the ground, pull the hook over to the shock cord and then pull to tighten. Right now I am considering reversing it (short shock cord on the stake and the guyline on the tarp) just because I think that might roll up faster into the snake skin than wrapping it around the stake.

Hammock
    11 ft DIY 1.6 HyperD Diamd Ripstop
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by tandrewmalan View Post
    The REI quarter dome tarp has webbing coming out of the tarp with tension locks attached. It made tying out a cinch.
    Agreed! It is a well designed hammock/tarp sleep system. I've been pleasantly surprised with it.
    ◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 97 months

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 2.0,WBRR,ElDorado
    Tarp
    12' Silpoly DIY
    Insulation
    HG TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Outdoor Ink Straps
    Images
    I have retrofitted three tarps with additional webbing and Linelocs for the guylines. I love the convenience of being able to adjust guylines while I am under tarp if I need to hunker down in the rain. My camping is primarily car camping so the weight penalty is not an issue.

• + New Posts