Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment

Adventure Cycling Bike Travel Weekend...and hanging in the rain..plus, DOG

This spring I committed to repeating my Bike Travel Weekend that I started last year since moving over here to the Bitterroot. Adventure Cycling is a wonderful nation wide association that produces bike touring maps, sells bike touring gear, conducts some guided trips, and is a wonderful resource for bikers, not unlike HF is for hammockers. During the year they have a Bike Travel Weekend and a Ride in your National Park activities to get folks together and generate ideas and camaraderie in the bike community. The association is based in Missoula, MT which is a cross roads for some of the great bike tours. (I can hardly wait for the national rails to trails to be completed!!!) If I live that long.

Due to having BPH surgery and a horredous recovery, my border collie has a half dozen staples in her leg from a barbed wire wound, and the rain forecast I shortened my trip a bit and rode from Stevensville to Charles Waters Campground. I also decided to get all the riding done when it was nice on Friday and use my truck for a support vehicle and a dog kennel. This has been my first and only trip this summer due to the horrendous surgery aftermath, but it was a wonderful weekend. Plus, I just wanted to encourage folks to check out Adventure Cycling too.

I used an older Silnylon tarp instead of my Winter Palace because I was uncomfortable leaving expensive gear unattended. I also wanted to let folks know that the WB Wooki works fine with a 12' SLD Trail Lair if you ad a 6" CL made from a bike innertube at the head end. This is also what I use for the DH Sparrow/Wooki setup. I initially set up the Trail Lair, but unfortunately I don't have a tarp that is long enough for a 12' hammock and I knew it was going to rain. So, I swapped out to use the Sparrow instead and all was well in spite of the plenteous rain.

I built the trailer last spring from a BOB Ibex and a Burley Kazoo after reading about the Aevon trailer made in France ($1200 imported). I decided I wanted to attach the trailer on a Burley rack hitch because they are renown for stability, more so than the seat post mounts. So the Ibex cost $200 off ebay and the Burley Kazoo was $25 at a local bike parts resource co-op in Missoula. Worked stupendously. I even contacted Burley with my design prototype. But their attitude was "Sure, but we get everything and you get absolutely squat...sign here" No thanks Burley. I'm planning on building another trailer this winter with a similar concept but different design.

Lets see if we can add some pics and maybe even a video. Well, it looks like the video has to be posted on one of the vid hosting sites so I will work on that for a first time attempt. I will start with Rumble.

BikeTravelWeekendCharlesWatersCG_09252020_20.jpg
    BikeTravelWeekendCharlesWatersCG_09252020_5.jpg
    Last edited by OlTrailDog; 09-27-2020 at 21:25.

Hammock
    Chameleon, SLD Voyageur
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG, Trailwinder
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Nice job with the trailer to bring your travel companion along. I have an old BOB trailer I use sometimes. Adventure Cycling makes excellent maps. I've done some of their shorter routes - Green Mountain Loop, Adirondack Park, the northern part of the Atlantic Coast route.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Okay, time for a first time video publish attempt:

Rumble: https://rumble.com/vajtcv-carver-420...lle-marie.html

Youtube in case Rumble doesn't work (it was taking some time):

Notice the trailer stability loaded with a live load (47 lbs of Border Collie) from a dead stop and a tight corner turn.

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Very cool.
    "Behold, as a wild a** of the desert, go I forth to my work." -- Guerney Halleck

• + New Posts