Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Easiest, most ultralight straps?

So I feel like I'm going through the progression of straps. I started with python style, moved to woopie slings, now using bettle buckles.
    I'm looking for an ultralight strap option, also something that is ready to setup as well a take down.
    I was looking at spider 1.5 style straps and using a marlin spike hitch.
    What are your guys thoughts?

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    I’m pretty new, but have gone through a similar progression. So far, I’ve decided I like buckles best since it’s easy to fine tune end height.

For my day hammock (use in the park, hiking, etc), I don’t like to carry all that. Best option I’ve found there are Dutch’s UHME (I think) small straps. They are small, weigh almost nothing, and are super strong. I use the becket or what I’ve been calling the hammock knot to attach directly to the continuous loops. Super minimal, weighs nothing, packs down very small.

I really like them and can’t imagine getting much lighter. I think whoopies with the right straps could weigh less, but I just find them too fiddly although many people seem to love them.

Good luck.

Hammock
    RSBTR Trail Lair clone
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    UGQ HG JRB AHE
    Suspension
    Myers Hybrid Dynee
    I love my new Myers Tech Dyneema/poly hybrid straps. Beckett hitch for hammock end connection. With a pair of Evo loops, a 15’ set weighs 3oz. You can go lighter, but the straps aren’t as nice to work with.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Spider daisy chain is pretty simple - especially if you have a DutchClip or Evo Loop for the tree side. You give up the continuous adjustment of a a buckle/strap combo, but the three inch increment in the daisy chain is usually good enough. For me, the sweet spot is small range, not an absolute number as far as end to end distance goes.

You just need to attach one hammock end, then pull the other end until you like the tautness of your ridgeline, then connect the other end to the closest “chain link”. I’m currently using lightweight biners from Warbonnet. I might even have lighter rock climbing miners with wire gates, but those smaller ones from WB are so easy to handle.

That said, I was going to go back to buckles and webbing this summer, just to try something new. But, you know, a lot of stay at home time this year. I did try buckles/webbing just a few times and it definitely takes longer to thread the webbing than it does to clip a carabiner. But you’re outside, enjoying nature. Why count seconds - unless you are making (valid) point to non-believers.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    The cured intestines of my enemies
    Tarp
    Wing of bat
    Insulation
    Possum fur
    Suspension
    of disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy4 View Post
    ...spider 1.5 style straps and using a marlin spike hitch...
    That's what I use, and they go perfectly together. I keep a toggle permanently tied to the end of the strap for use as the marlin spike, and I have whoopies instead of continuous loops installed through the ends of my hammock so I can make adjustments easily without having to move the marlin spike.

I have tried using a becket hitch instead of the marlin spike, but I find the marlin spike easier to both tie and untie, and it mates better with the adjustable end of the whoopie.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie XL
    Suspension
    Becket Straps
    I use the becket hitch straps w/ fish hook from Warbonnet they are super light, hold amazing and work really well. Plus its an easy knot to learn and it holds me at 220lbs with ease.

I originally bought long straps to use with a Beckett hitch but found very occasionally they would slip. Having looked into it further I found out the straps need to be flattened out after each use to prevent this.

Decided I couldn’t be bothered flattening the straps out every time I used them so switch to UHMWPE tree straps with Whoopies and a Warbonnet Fishhook to attach to the closed loop on the hammock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Remy4 View Post
    ...I'm looking for an ultralight strap option...
    It's tough to get lighter than the kevlar straps from Autumn Ultralight at 1.7 ounces for the pair, 12 feet long. I use a Beckett hitch. I'll put in a link to a photo below:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_-vpdKFg_L/
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, Astd. Dutch
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex, TF
    Insulation
    HG,WLSS,JrB,UGQ,LL
    Suspension
    LW straps/Becket
    My strap use has evolved from the heavy black polyester and buckle setup to ever lighter straps from Dutch, Meyers, etc. I've got the white ones, the blue ones, the cream Kevlar, if it's UL, there's a good chance I have it. Unfortunately, while I was delighted with the weight savings of the UL straps, I disliked three things about them. First, they get "ropey" and don't hold their shape well. This makes them more difficult to spill from the Beckett Hitch in the morning. It can also lead to slipping of said Beckett. Finally, they seem to cause much more damage to the trees than the more rigid straps. Yes, there are workarounds for all of the above but I just find it much simpler to eat three extra ounces and use the Dutch Spider/Poly straps. They keep their shape, are very gentle on the trees, and are super easy to use with the Beckett both tying and spilling. To me, the simplicity/lack of fuss is well worth the extra three ounces I'd save by using the SUL straps.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I've tried a bunch of webbing types. For no-hardware I'll take 3.3 Kevlar every time. Also works with whoopie/MSH if that's your thing. No buckles.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast