Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I use a becket hitch with the 12' white UHMWPE straps- I believe they're 2.4g/ft. And I use Myerstech Evo loops for the tree connection. This has been my favorite setup by far.

Awesome, Thanks for all the replies.

I think that I'm going to try and get some Venom Straps for RSBTR and use a becket hitch, and see how that works for me.

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    I have tried two different versions of the "ropey" ultralight straps.I have a set of the blue ones from Meyers I intend to try next.If that doesn't perform to my specs then it's back to the black and white poly spider straps which,imho,are pretty hard to beat and do offer some weight savings over the original black polyester workhorse straps.

The time it takes to smooth out and roll up those ultralight straps every morning are a deal breaker for me personally.

Hammock
    RSBTR Trail Lair clone
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    UGQ HG JRB AHE
    Suspension
    Myers Hybrid Dynee
    Before giving up on UL-type straps, it’s worth looking at the Myers straps I mentioned above. It’s a pretty new strap offering that comes very close to the weight of pure UHMWPE/Dyneema, but blends Poly strips to the outside edges to help them stay flat. I’ve used them several times over the last couple weeks, and I’m extremely impressed. Under 3 ounces for a 15’ set, and—as far as I can tell—none of the characteristic pain points of other UL straps.

I don’t think he has them on his eBay store yet, but you can find them on Hammock Hangers Flea Market & Trading Post on Facebook if you’re into that sort of thing.

Hammock
    Appalachian Original
    Tarp
    Appalachian Hex
    Insulation
    Cosco throw
    Suspension
    Becket/ER loop
    Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    The time it takes to smooth out and roll up those ultralight straps every morning are a deal breaker for me personally.
    It does not seem to add much time to smooth out my UHMWPE straps as I role them up. Perhaps I am just a slow roller

Images
    "Easiest" and "most ultralight" are sometimes at odds with each other. Also, straps may not be the best place to try to save weight, as these are your supports that you need to be able to depend on.

I use off-the-shelf 1" black poly webbing from the hardware store. Its tough, doesnt roll, takes knots well, and reasonably light. I also have no problems with replacing it or throwing it out when it gets old, as it is not expensive. ~$0.30/ft

I tie directly to continuous loops on the hammock using the X-Bend knot (my personal preference). No hardware required, no extra weight.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    I know a lot of folks just love the buckles, but I’ve never been a fan. Used various flavors of buckles from Warbonnet’s triangles to Dutch’s Beatle Buckles and his other kind of buckles—just not a fan. I used to prefer Whoopie’s, but I don’t even have those on any of my hammocks but one, these days. My two absolute favorite suspensions are: the super quick and simple plain black web straps with a Dutch Clip on the end and a Spider to hook the continuous loop of my hammock on for my CAMPING hammocks and the suspension I use on my day trip hammock, the much lighter UHMWPE (spider web) tree straps that I simply Becket hitch to my hammock’s continuous loops.
    Last edited by Dublinlin; 09-29-2020 at 20:09.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I have tried two different versions of the "ropey" ultralight straps.I have a set of the blue ones from Meyers I intend to try next.If that doesn't perform to my specs then it's back to the black and white poly spider straps which,imho,are pretty hard to beat and do offer some weight savings over the original black polyester workhorse straps.

Quote Originally Posted by peter8 View Post
    It does not seem to add much time to smooth out my UHMWPE straps as I role them up. Perhaps I am just a slow roller
    With my kevlar straps, earlier this year I started simply wadding them up and stuffing them in with the hammock. Takes no time and I have yet to find a downside to this "technique."
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    With my kevlar straps, earlier this year I started simply wadding them up and stuffing them in with the hammock. Takes no time and I have yet to find a downside to this "technique."
    I've never tried kevlar.Do they get ropey?

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I've never tried kevlar.Do they get ropey?
    For me, the 1.9 Kevlar can get a bit ropey, although nowhere near as bad as Venom and some of the other UHMWPEs. The 3.3 really resists it well.

I have some of the white UHMWPE webbing (Myerstech, maybe the same stuff you mentioned above) and it is the least annoying of the ones I have seen.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast