Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MongooseDownUnder View Post
    Don’t you need to use a smaller cord for the Prusik to hold properly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not necessarily...

I've used the setup pictured below (made with 2mm Lawson Guywire all-'round) with zero slippage.

Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DH Darien / WBBB
    Tarp
    HEX Asym / Minifly
    Insulation
    HG Econ 40
    Suspension
    Beetle/ Cinch
    Images
    Not the first post about this. I use CRL from Dutch with prussics. Zing-it as a ridgeline and lash-it as prussics. I supposed same diameter. Never had any troubles with slippage (mine and wife's tarp).

Just goes to show doesn’t it that some information out there is not necessarily accurate. I must admit personally I have never have slippage with a Prusik and have just used whatever cordage I had available. Often it was smaller lighter cord though.

I currently use Nama Claws on my ridge line so don’t use Prusik knots for anything that I can think of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Use a braided polyester cord such as Atwood Tactical Cord or Lawson Glowire/Guywire to make the Prusik loops. These will hold with Zing-it.
    +1, what he said...

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Mason line makes decent prussics as well on RLs and Tie outs, and it will fail long before the Zing-it, which is something to think about.

Repairing terminal tackle on a Tarp is always preferable to making an actual tarp repair. ML gets too messy and tangle prone trying to make and entire RL out of it, but small continuous loops for prussics are fine and easy to make with a simple fisherman's knot if you don't splice.

I sort of like the idea of knowing the prussic should fail before D-ring or Tie-out tears away costing me dearly. Neither of which makes for an easy field repair.
    Signature suspended

Quote Originally Posted by cricky101 View Post
    ...I swapped out the prussiks for NamaClaws and have been really happy with how well it works and how easy it is to set up.
    +1 on the Nama Claws suggestion. I really like the way they work and the ease of adjustment.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    The cured intestines of my enemies
    Tarp
    Wing of bat
    Insulation
    Possum fur
    Suspension
    of disbelief
    The prussiks on my CRL (zing-it on zing-it) never came completely loose, but they did slip slightly in strong wind. Not a major problem. If you take some care to get the knot really tight, with each wrap shoved hard against each other, they should stay secure enough.

But ultimately I also switched to nama claws. They easily slide along the ridgeline when you want them to, and then lock down hard when you want them to. Prussiks worked, but didn't slide so easily, and didn't lock down so hard.

it amazes me why people still insist on using prusiks. i mean, yeah, it's simple, but it's the wrong tool for almost any job. just use an appropriate knot for the purpose and it will work beautifully (and trust me, there are many). the symetric prusik will either not have enough grip, or bind hard under load and be a pain to release/slide afterwards. hardware is not a solution to using the wrong knot, the solution for that is using the correct knot. hardware can be a solution to use no knots, or "just because it's shinny" or whatever, but using the wrong knot doesn't justify using hardware.

for tensioning a ridgeline, this is an example of using a more appropriate solution (no hardware, and also no knots to tie in the field), with and without mechanical advantage, in both cases you can see how easily it works. the friction hitch in use is the valdotain tresse. the weird softshackle which is also the friction hitch is documented in a separate thread i started a while ago. the same tensioning system i use for the tarp guy outs, and was discussed a while ago in a thread in "wheather protection"

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...t=soft+shackle
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-single-handed

hope it helps a bit

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MongooseDownUnder View Post
    Don’t you need to use a smaller cord for the Prusik to hold properly?
    Yes, ideally, though plenty of examples of it working without being a smaller diameter. If the two cords are the same diameter, extra wraps on the Prusik help.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by P-Dub View Post
    Yes, ideally, though plenty of examples of it working without being a smaller diameter. If the two cords are the same diameter, extra wraps on the Prusik help.
    This is key. You have to play around with different combinations and vary the number of wraps to discover what is ideal for different cord materials and diameters.

The two "ideals" you're shooting for are 1) good holding power... stays where you put it, and 2) easy-enough release for adjusting tension or changing position.

I've found that the Lawson cord with a 3-wrap Prusik (photo in previous post) meets these requirements perfectly, and the same for Blake's hitch on the tarp corner guy lines. None of them have ever slipped a micron under any conditions, and they release easily.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast