Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    (...) and the same for Blake's hitch on the tarp corner guy lines. None of them have ever slipped a micron under any conditions, and they release easily.
    blake's hitch is one of the other very nice alternatives. i like it for positioning the tarp on the ridge line (for tensioning the ridge line i still prefer the VT, but if one likes something more compact, the blake hitch would definitely work better than the prussik). don't you find the blake is jam free, unlike the prussik?
    Last edited by nanok; 09-27-2020 at 14:29.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nanok View Post
    blake's hitch is one of the other very nice alternatives. i like it for positioning the tarp on the ridge line (for tensioning the ridge line i still prefer the VT, but if one likes something more compact, the blake hitch would definitely work better than the prussik). don't you find the blake is jam free, unlike the prussik?
    A couple of reasons... The Prusik used exactly as in my photo upthread doesn't jam. It is one of those "Goldilocks" combinations of materials and configurations that meets the "holds well, releases easily" criteria. Others might find their own combination that works similarly, or they might not find it and move on to another solution.

I like Blake's hitch because it can be tied directly as a loop, vs a Prusik which needs its own separate loop that is then tied to the main guy line. Also, the amount of friction in a Prusik can be adjusted by varying the number of wraps, which is not done with Blake's... although I have entertained the idea of trying a different number of wraps with Blake's, similar to Farrimond and Grip hitches. However, for my guy line tensioner knot it works perfectly in its "textbook" configuration with Lawson cord, so I lack motivation to experiment further.

For tying ridge line to tree, I use Midshipman's hitch, slippery version.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    SLD 10' MTN 1.2
    Tarp
    HG Standard DCF
    Insulation
    Enigma/Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    UHMWPE
    I continue to use Blake's hitch for various hiking and hammock applications. One of my personal obstacles was learning how to tie it in a memorable way. My answer came from an arborist webpages, of all places.

Although Blake's hitch is trustworthy on Atwood 1.2mm cord, Lawson Glowire 2mm is a more practical use. It has yet to slip. Even though this is a bit of a thread drift, I can't say enough about this knot. Besides, how many knots result in a symbol when they are tied correctly?

A couple of reasons... The Prusik used exactly as in my photo upthread doesn't jam. It is one of those "Goldilocks" combinations of materials and configurations that meets the "holds well, releases easily" criteria. Others might find their own combination that works similarly, or they might not find it and move on to another solution.
    i know what you mean, i know the prusik well, as a climber it was one of the first knots i learned and used extensively. climbers tend to be very conservative about what knots they use (one can understand why), so it can be difficult to explore alternatives. i know the prusik can work in certain configurations, within certain ranges of load etc, what surprises me is that there are so many people who complain that it jams and binds (so does _not_ work for them), and they have to go for some other solution (often hardware) because they are sick of it. it's the prussik which is the problem imho, there are much better solutions, i'm surprised that, when it doesn't work well, for a ridgeline or tieouts (so not life support), people are more likely to buy some hardware than to experiment with other knots.

as you clearly already know, one of the much more ellegant solutions is the blakes hitch, another is the valdotain tresse (which is, frankly, the "ultimate" solution from what i tested so far, it hardly has any disadvantages, except maybe it's length and sit-back). another one though, which is so close to the usual prussik it makes me want to cry, is an asymmetric prussik, which would be a lot more effective and less prone to jam than the basic symmetric prusik, i swear i watched all youtube videos and read all articles, and i haven't seen anyone tie a prusik which is not symmetric on the ridge line (not to mention guyline tieouts), let alone something "exotic" as a blake's hitch. not one. this includes some complaining that it doesn't work well/jams. it just intrigues me.

I like Blake's hitch because it can be tied directly as a loop, vs a Prusik which needs its own separate loop that is then tied to the main guy line. Also, the amount of friction in a Prusik can be adjusted by varying the number of wraps, which is not done with Blake's... although I have entertained the idea of trying a different number of wraps with Blake's, similar to Farrimond and Grip hitches. However, for my guy line tensioner knot it works perfectly in its "textbook" configuration with Lawson cord, so I lack motivation to experiment further.
    the blake also responds to changing the number of wraps, it responds differently depending where you add the wraps (on top or below the tail that hangs out from the middle of the knot). try it, it's fun
    the property you mention opposed to the prusik is something i like too about the blake's, and it's why i think it's important to have in one's arsenal. sometimes it's an advantage, while other times it's a pain, depending on what you have available and what you're doing.

For tying ridge line to tree, I use Midshipman's hitch, slippery version.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Zingit on zingit, five or six wrap prusik, tied neatly with no coils overlapping other coils, and then slid into place and after in exact place—tightening real tight—makes a grip that works for me. I pull tight prusik and the line it surrounds. It’s knot perfect but it works for me.
    To loosen I break back the middle bight and push twin strands back up into prusik, then squeeze knot to loosen enough to slide on rope it surrounds.
    Also I’ve knot tried this yet, Jeff Myers of Myers Tech has a Youtube video showing a pull loop incorporated into prusik, used to loosen and slide prusik to new spot on rope.

If prusik does not work for you, then there are other knots and hardware that make great solutions for your tarp needs. Good luck All
    If everyone thought the same, our world might be boring!

Regarding the Blake's hitch, am i right in thinking that it will only lock up when pulled from one direction and will slip when pulled from the other?

Cheers

Macca

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Recalc View Post
    I continue to use Blake's hitch for various hiking and hammock applications. One of my personal obstacles was learning how to tie it in a memorable way. My answer came from an arborist webpages, of all places.

Although Blake's hitch is trustworthy on Atwood 1.2mm cord, Lawson Glowire 2mm is a more practical use. It has yet to slip. Even though this is a bit of a thread drift, I can't say enough about this knot. Besides, how many knots result in a symbol when they are tied correctly?
    It does look, ummm, interesting when tied correctly ... blakes hitch.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Regarding the Blake's hitch, am i right in thinking that it will only lock up when pulled from one direction and will slip when pulled from the other?

Cheers

Macca
    That is the conventional practice—one-way application—but early on I tied it exactly the reverse (with the loops on the wrong side) and darn if it didn't work perfectly, at least for tent/tarp guylines. It was some attentive, sharp-eyed fellow here on HF that spotted my error. Of course, if I were an arborist and my life depended on it I'd tie it the conventional way, also with a long tail and stopper knot.
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    Zingit on zingit, five or six wrap prusik, tied neatly with no coils overlapping other coils, and then slid into place and after in exact place—tightening real tight—makes a grip that works for me. I pull tight prusik and the line it surrounds. It’s knot perfect but it works for me.
    To loosen I break back the middle bight and push twin strands back up into prusik, then squeeze knot to loosen enough to slide on rope it surrounds.
    Also I’ve knot tried this yet, Jeff Myers of Myers Tech has a Youtube video showing a pull loop incorporated into prusik, used to loosen and slide prusik to new spot on rope.

If prusik does not work for you, then there are other knots and hardware that make great solutions for your tarp needs. Good luck All
    If everyone thought the same, our world might be boring!
    Great example of knowing your system and having a strategy to deal with its quirks!

That is the conventional practice—one-way application—but early on I tied it exactly the reverse (with the loops on the wrong side) and darn if it didn't work perfectly, at least for tent/tarp guylines. It was some attentive, sharp-eyed fellow here on HF that spotted my error. Of course, if I were an arborist and my life depended on it I'd tie it the conventional way, also with a long tail and stopper knot.
    Wow, that's great information.

I've just tied it as you described above and it does now indeed lock up in both directions.

I think this knot is going into the rotation now, I always went with prusiks before (I don't have issues with them slipping), but this will be great when I don't have a loop handy.

Cheers

Macca

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    One of the tricks when using full sized prusiks with rock climbing gear was to wrap it around a carabiner (parallel to the rope) and line together. This was the prusik style where the loop is wrapped around several times then brought down with the pull end going through the loop. In other words, not that one where the pull line comes down from the center of the wraps.

The point is, that carabiner, bound to the line with the constricting loops, acted as a handle to slide the knot along the rope. So, with the smaller ≤ 2.5mm line, I’m thinking a person could use a mini-biner (sold by many vendors with their logo on it), in the same way - as a handle to slide the knot where you want it. That may alleviate some of the binding problem where the knot won’t let go.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast