Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Dutch chameleon / Banyan
    Tarp
    Cubin fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ TQ / loco UQ

WBRR in the winter - looking for success stories under 0F

Fellow bridge hammockers, I am looking to get information on deep winter camping.

I have plenty of experience doing deep winter camping out of a GE hammock at this point.

https://youtu.be/kB8KqnSROPg

I just recently found out how much I love bridge hammocks. I am thinking of getting some new underquilts for the bridge hammock so i can use it in the winter instead of my normal setup. Has anyone done deep winter hammock trips in the bridge hammock? What did you use for insulation? I like how in a GE you kinda get the underquilt to help insulate your sides but in a bridge hammock you really dont have that much double coverage. I have also taken a sleeping bag and cacooned it over my entire setup when in the negatives and i dont think you can really do that with a bridge hammock...

So how about it? anyone got some good information either on youtube or just your personal experience you can share?

Yes indeed. My wife and I use our WBRR hammocks in all seasons, and have slep quite warmly in temps down into the low 20’s. We use 20 degree UGQ’s from UGQ. The Ambush UG. I don’t think they offer that quilt now, but others make good quilts to fit that hammock. Best wishes on your search.
    If you prepare for failure you will probably succeed.

Images
    Bridge hammocks and deep winter, oh yes, maybe my fav or close ( well, at least way down here, but my deep winter is way warmer than yours! )

Bud sadly, not with my WB, only with JRBs. And mostly with the original JRB, which is the deepest of all of them. That is a drawback for a lot of people, but I think it might actually be advantageous for quilt use. My JRB UQs curve well up around my sides, just like in a GE. With the original narrow JRB, my shoulders ( or even my back on my side) were in natural contact with the sides of the hammock, which is always in contact with the UQ. Extra side coverage outside of and just above the compressed part of the TQ, where uncompmpressed TQ and UQ meet? Maybe, but I don't know if it is anything noticeable compared to the TQ on top of me and the UQ under me, which are probably the limiting factors.

I did, however, always have the feeling that not only did my UQs always work without a hitch, my TQs seemed to me to work better. With less chance of a draft. Something about how the close in, steep sides tended to make the quilt funnel down on top of me, it could not go out to the sides. Can't prove it, might be imagining it. I can say I was toasty warm as low as 10F, using a JRB MW4, without using any of my usual tricks to boost warmth such as VBs or space blankets or added layers like I used to do in my PeaPod.

But, that is not helping you much with your questions, since that bridge was not as wide or shallow as the WB. so it might not be quite the same in all areas. And I don't know, since I have never got around to using my WBRR in really cold weather, which I sometimes can't believe.

I do know that the WB seems about the same in one way that I find all bridges to be great at: easy to insulate consistently with an UQ. Whether short or full length(as long as the UQ is not too long for the hammock, which will cause gaps or difficulty with fit). But generally speaking, I never have any gap problems under my back or legs with an UQ on a bridge, WB or JRB, and nothing ever changes if I move around or go from side to back to side: all areas of the hammock remain in solid contact with the UQ, head to foot.

And then there is that other wonderful attribute of a bridge for cold weather use: UQ is not quite warm enough? Slip a pad either inside the the pad pocket or even inside the hammock. For me pad use in a bridge works much better, and is much comfier than in a GE. Either a thin or thick piece of CCF or a thick inflatable insulated pad, alone or boosting an UQ, and most problems can be solved, with no significant loss of comfort. Some folks even prefer the feel of a bridge with a pad vs no pad, especially inflatable, which widens the hammock some.

One advantage to the WB is UQs specifically designed for it. I have one from AHE, and what a wonderful fit! And always the same, just clip it on, done, no gaps. But, for lack of testing, I can't absolutely confirm that it will work as well with quilts in winter as my 07 model JRB, or the lighter, not quite as deep JRB model that came out a few years later. But, personally, I suspect it will work about as well, though the wider and shallower sides might influence things a bit. Maybe I will find out finally this year.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I use a RR year round but I must say I do prefer my GE hammocks when temps get into the single digits and below. I find you get more wrap in the GE.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Hammock
    Dutch chameleon / Banyan
    Tarp
    Cubin fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ TQ / loco UQ
    Great reply. Really well done with explaining things. I myself have a banyan but I know for sure no one has tested that in deep winter yet. I know the WBRR is the most used bridge hammock (I think) so I figured their had to be people with opinions on bridge vs GE in winter. Your conclusion about the underquilts make perfect sense. Thee quilt won't be moving around at all so its kinda set it and forget it which is nice.

I am thinking of buying a ridge reaper from George at loco libre and not trying to use my GE quilts since I don't see them really making a proper seal which you need for that deep winter camp.

Hammock
    Dutch chameleon / Banyan
    Tarp
    Cubin fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ TQ / loco UQ
    Quote Originally Posted by LuvmyBonnet View Post
    I use a RR year round but I must say I do prefer my GE hammocks when temps get into the single digits and below. I find you get more wrap in the GE.
    What have you gotten your WBRR down to and what UQ did you use?

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OG Honey Badger View Post
    What have you gotten your WBRR down to and what UQ did you use?
    I've been down to -38 with a 0 Ambush from UGQ(with hot water bottle). Not made anymore. When it's not Winter I use a 40 RidgeReaper from LL. Great quilt.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LuvmyBonnet View Post
    I've been down to -38 with a 0 Ambush from UGQ(with hot water bottle). Not made anymore. When it's not Winter I use a 40 RidgeReaper from LL. Great quilt.
    minus 38F? If so, wow! (or even -38C is not much different is it?) Have you ever done much better with that UQ on a GE?

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 13' Winter
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/Pad
    Suspension
    Straps n Whoopies
    I’ve not been much below -5F in my bridge, but I use a pad in it year-round for my brand of comfort and find that my Klymit Static V with their fitted topsheet, an additional pad underneath and/or my 3/4 length down under quilt layered below, and a CCF sit pad between my shoulder and hammock body keep the cold at bay. Also, if weigh is less of a concern, I’ve spent dreamy winter nights atop an additional sheepskin or caribou hide. I also like a hot water bottle between my thighs and drink a good spot of tea before turning in.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    For me in Alabama I've gotten to 13°F in windy conditions and my 0° Lynx under quilt and 0° Loco Libre top quilt were as warm as could be. I'd highly recommend an under quilt designed to fit your hammock as these fit like a glove and are very tight to the bottom of the hammock not allowing any air in. I had no issues with the coverage between the bottom quilt and top quilt as the top quilt tucks in very nicely. Bridge hammocks are so nice in colder weather as there's no shifting of the under quilts eliminating that major hassle that is part of a gathered end hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast