Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OG Honey Badger View Post
    I am thinking of buying a ridge reaper from George at loco libre and not trying to use my GE quilts since I don't see them really making a proper seal which you need for that deep winter camp.
    Wise choice. You'll love Georges quilts as they are not only warm but works of art as well.

Hammock
    Dutch chameleon / Banyan
    Tarp
    Cubin fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ TQ / loco UQ
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Bridge hammocks are so nice in colder weather as there's no shifting of the under quilts eliminating that major hassle that is part of a gathered end hammock.

To me this is the advantage that stands out the most from peoples input. Its worth the investment in the underquilt to have that perfect fit rather than using my GE quilts. That seal could make winter camping that much easier.

Hammock
    Dutch chameleon / Banyan
    Tarp
    Cubin fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ TQ / loco UQ
    Btw, I've backpacked in Alabama before and really enjoyed it. Went up to mcdill point in January this year. https://youtu.be/ajI5xel4YBU

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    minus 38F? If so, wow! (or even -38C is not much different is it?) Have you ever done much better with that UQ on a GE?
    Never tried the ambush on a GE. I've got a 0 Incubator for the GE.
    40 below is where C & F are equal. That's when you have loud squeeky snow and you can hear tree sap exploding.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    I've had success stacking quilts on my RR to achieve lower temps. Here's a vid I did that shows how I do it, but this is only one way.

" The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    dutch chameleon
    Tarp
    Batona Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle Susp
    Images
    bager,how was it pulling the sleds?
    Hello I'm new to the forum. I'm also a new backpacker and hammock user.
    Y NOT= TONY SPELLED BACKWARDS

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Wise choice. You'll love Georges quilts as they are not only warm but works of art as well.
    To me this is the advantage that stands out the most from peoples input. Its worth the investment in the underquilt to have that perfect fit rather than using my GE quilts. That seal could make winter camping that much easier.
    That is one of the benefits, in addition to nothing about fit seems to change as I change position. The perfect custom fit such as I get with my AHE Ridge Creek on the WBRR is indeed a huge benefit. However, keep in mind that the vast majority of my bridge cold weather experience has been on the old original, narrow and deep JRB BMBH combined with full length JRB MW UQs. These were simple clip ons, nothing much to adjust. But I was always concerned with a bit of a gap that was not underneath me, but rather up near the top edge of the hammock, right near the middle. Truth is, I could never tell that this gap made any difference regarding warmth. I think the reason it made no dif was that as you travel down the steep sides of the hammock towards where the body was actually in contact with the hammock, the UQ quickly came back into contact with the hammock fabric, and no body part was up high enough to be near that gap anyway. So, I effectively had a gap free fit at any point where my body might not be effectively insulated by my top quilt, whether on my back or side. That's my theory anyway. Admittedly, I sometimes ran a small piece of shock cord from left to right which pulled that little gap in so that it closed. But again, I never could tell that it made any difference. I was always warm either way.

While I love the very custom fit of my AHE on the WBRR, the one negative I can find is that it is only wide enough (stops at the saddlebags/top edge of hammock) to just barely cover my elbows. I need to avoid having my arms too wide apart in order to make sure I'm still on the insulated area. That is a very minor problem and easily dealt with, and the benefit is not a single gap to be found from head to toe, and no excess weight or bulk. On the other hand, with my wider JRB quilts, and the deeper JRB hammocks, I like to lay back into the side walls in a semi side sleeping position, and not only are my elbows always well covered when on my back, but my back is always well covered when I lean back into those sides. Pros and cons as usual.

Btw, I've backpacked in Alabama before and really enjoyed it. Went up to mcdill point in January this year. https://youtu.be/ajI5xel4YBU
    I bet you would also enjoy the Sipsey!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 10-08-2020 at 13:34.

Hammock
    WBRR,HENESSEY JUNGLE, ENO 1 link
    Tarp
    ENO PRO, SLD WH
    Insulation
    Igniter and blaze
    Suspension
    Buckles,atlas,ring
    I use a superfly over a spindrift, drop the doors a few inches to combat condensation and I was so warm at 7* that I was almost nekid by morning. I think I could go negative with the zero underquilt and 10* top.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tazmaniac View Post
    I use a superfly over a spindrift, drop the doors a few inches to combat condensation and I was so warm at 7* that I was almost nekid by morning. I think I could go negative with the zero underquilt and 10* top.

Now, that is some positive results! What else were youusing besides the Spindrift and Superfly, and WBRR?

Hammock
    WBRR,HENESSEY JUNGLE, ENO 1 link
    Tarp
    ENO PRO, SLD WH
    Insulation
    Igniter and blaze
    Suspension
    Buckles,atlas,ring
    I guess the way I wrote that is a little confusing. That night was a 0 degree UQ w/10* TQ.
    For experimental purposes I used the same tarp and spindrift with a Amok insulated pad, no UQ with a MSS bag on a 12* night. Felt a little cool on the backside but was plenty warm.
    I should also note that this is all done in woods behind my house where at any point I can go inside where the Tazette keeps it like Miami Beach.
    DON’T put yourself in danger by not being sure of what your system is capable of w/o an exit plan!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast