Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly

Keeping Warbonnet Superfly pullout mod kit from rubbing on the tarp ridge line?

New to the forums and new to hammock camping. I have the Warbonnet Superfly and got the mod kit for the pullouts. Setting it up for the first time, I notice the mod poles sit on the ridge line. Will this cause a problem with it rubbing on the ridge line? And does anyone have an idea of what I could do to keep that from happening?

I know I could run a continuous ridge line to help, but was wondering if there was something else I could try?

Thanks for the help!

[AIMG][/AIMG]

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Krtster79, welcome to the forum. Most settings I’ve seen for the external pole mod have a line across the top of the tarp and the poles rest on that. It doesn’t rub because the tarp hangs below that ridge line. That said, my guess is you’ll be using the poles (less than 10 times a year?) so seldom and their movement will be so slight that rubbing won’t be a problem. The advantage of a line is it is a solid point supporting the pole.

You could just tie a line from ridge line end to ridge line end that would be pulled taut when the tarp is hung. That way you could use a “two piece” suspension line and still have that “fixed” line across the ridge line to support the poles.

One way to get familiar with your gear is to go to a park and just set it up, over and over and over. You don’t even need to bring everything - just the tarp would be fine to start.

Hammock Lore says if you put your tarp up first, and it’s raining, you can set the rest up mostly under the tarp, out of the rain. It’s a nice idea. But I’ve found it’s easier for me to get the hammock situated first, then set up the tarp so it covers the hammock. Because I don’t plan outings for bad weather - though I really should for the learning experience - I’ve never had to adhere to the “tarp first” philosophy.

The deal is, pole mods aside, there are numerous ways to suspend your tarp, and set your guy lines (taut line hitch, hardware “locs”). Do you want to keep your guy lines attached to the tarp or to the ground stakes, or completely separate? How would you manage the Superfly doors (bungee cord or non-stretch guy lines)? Will you be using snake skins? And you have numerous ways to support the tarp to the tree.

I don’t want to overwhelm you - just want to point out that though you can read about the various options in forum posts, nothing drives it home like walking up to a tree and doing it.

For example, in my mind I had this simple configuration of a dutchhook on one end of the ridgeline around the tree, then the tarp on the line using Nama Claws, then a dutchware wasp on the other end of the line for a connection after the line goes around the second tree. So simple in my mind. But when I tried it, I found it was awkward to slide that wasp down the line towards the tree. But usually I have lots of extra tarp line suspension so now I know I can keep the wasp right near the end of the tarp, bring the line around the tree and connecting it there. The V that forms would interfere with a snake skin if it were two piece, But withl a long one piece skin I can put it on so it slides off the tarp and onto the single line on the dutch Hook end.

YouTube is your friend. If you search for SuperFly Tarp I’ll sure you’ll find lots of ideas.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Thank you for all the info!

I actually set it up in the park yesterday and that’s when I noticed the pole mods on the ridge line. You are right, I won’t be camping every weekend, so those poles won’t rub on the ridge line that many times over the year. I will set it up more in the park and practice more configurations. I’m waiting on some 3/32” shock cord to get delivered so I can try shockcord and breakaway buckles on the doors for door maintenance. I bought the snake skins from Warbonnet, and I can already tell that was the best $20 spent. Makes packing up the tarp so much easier!

And happy with the Dutch Ringworms I bought for the guy lines. I keep the guy line and ringworm attached to the stakes at all times. I just clip the ringworm to a shock cord when setting up the tarp, push my stake into the ground and cinch up the tarp. Then when I take it down, I just unhook the ringworm from the shock cord and then use the guy line to pull the stake out of the ground. Super slick.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    If you are worried then get a or make a continuous ridge line and that worry is gone.

Hammock
    Dutch Netless, WBRR, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB SF / CB
    Insulation
    HG UQ's LL+HG TQ's
    Suspension
    CB's/TurtleTies

Keeping Warbonnet Superfly pullout mod kit from rubbing on the tarp ridge line?

The superfly is a tough little tarp. It would take a long long time for the poles to wear thru the superfly tarp material. I made a really bad mistake two years ago when I set my superfly tarp over the ridge pole of my turtle dog stand. The tarp was sandwiched between the galvanized steel ridge pole underneath and the pole mod poles above. It was a windy weekend and the poles of the pole mod rubbed the top of the tarp continuously. These two spots were worn thin. The amazing thing is that the tarp does not leak at either spot and I've continued to use the tarp as is. I now place pool noodles to keep the tarp from contacting the ridge pole of the turtle dog stand.
    When I set up the superfly between trees or with my Tensa 4 stand I don't use a ridge line and I don't worry about the pole mod poles contacting the top of the tarp. Just my experience.
    "When the power of Love overcomes the Love of power. The world will know peace." ~ Jimi Hendrix
    "No matter where you go, there you are." ~ Buckaroo Banzai

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    You will really appreciate the snake skins the first time you try to set up in the wind - that’s good practice by the way; head down to the park with breezes are 15mph or higher. Sounds like you will have a stretch of bungee cord between the tarp and your solid guy lines. Some people attach the guy line with a bit of slack to the tarp and the bungee in a way that keeps the bungee from stretching to it’s max. Like I might pull on a piece of bungee to get its approximate max stretched length, then calculate 80% of that length. Then I rig it so the non-stretch guy line will limit the stretch of the bungee to that 80% length. I get the springy benefit of the bungee, but it won’t be stretched too much.

I used to put split rings in the connection stream as a “weak link” so the split rings would deform before the tarp was damaged. But - especially with bungee on the guy lines - I’ve never been in wind that strong … okay, maybe once, but I didn’t have bungee on the side guys. If the wind was so strong it threatened to rip the trap, I’d be making a whole lot of other decisions - mostly focus on moving to a different location.

The benefit of springiness is it allows the tarp to deform its shape to spill excess wind, then spring back into it’s normal taut shape.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie XL
    Suspension
    Becket Straps
    Can you maybe make a tarp extender somehow and get it off the ridgeline? I'd be more worried about holes in the bugnetting man i hate bugs.

Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    Doors for sure
    Insulation
    Love some down
    Suspension
    Usualy helps
    Since I use a split ridgeline, I put a piece of repair material tape across the ridgeline seam just as a precaution. Hasn't shown the slightest bit of wear in years. I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    I just put a lil Tenacious Tape anywhere I think something might run through... especially where my spreader bar ends might run from my Ridgerunner. Would work great for pole mods too

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• + New Posts