Hammock
    1.2 MTN
    Tarp
    12' DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Kevlar strap
    I got cold on the sides with a regular width top quilt. It’s almost like ground sleeping in that respect..

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mooseprime View Post
    ...but I would prefer to rely on something more stable for multiple conditions.
    Buy once, cry once.

So, I have the 2019 Cammo Amok regular size and use either the Amok sleep pad or the Exped TT9 Long Wide. These have 8-down filled tubes; if one tube gets a puncture, replace it in the field with a spare tube that you carry along with you.

On top, Costco has down-filled throws that are machine washable with something like Woolite on the gentle cycle.

Double-Black-Diamond-Packable-Down-Throw-Costco-2-640x480.jpg

I have four of these, they pack down small, and the name of the game is retained layering on top, and with four of these throws, you will not be cold (with the addition of the Exped pad you sleep on.

Spend your money on what really counts in the back-country - a Good Nights Sleep

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    i cant imagine stacking 4, lol

I'm melting at -10 with 2 of them

but point taken, stacking, if you've got the ability/will to carry them is totally viable and MUCH cheaper than buying super cold rated quilts

Hammock
    Amok Draumr
    Tarp
    OEM
    Insulation
    AHE White Cloud
    Suspension
    OEM
    I am supposed to be receiving my Draumr today in the mail. I intend to try it out in weather with a forecast low of 27 degrees F. I have an AHE Owyhee TQ regular width (not sure of its temp rating). I sleep cold. I am considering a 15 or 20 degree TQ that is wide but I will try it with what I have first. I have been looking at the AHE Owyhee 15 degree wide (57-58 inches) or the Loco Libre synthetic top quilt 20 degree (Jalepeno 55 inch wide).

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mooseprime View Post
    My main concern with draping a blanket over the ridgeline is that it is loose.
    My 2019 Camo Amok has a completely removable zippered bug net. Ask Amok to sell you one of the 2019 models, and it is darker (I believe) than the earlier light gray models. It would then be simple to choose your own fabric from Ripstop by the Roll and deliver it to any seamstress at a local high-end sewing machine sales outlet where they hold classes.

Show up at one of the classes, and negotiate a deal with the members or instructors.

Below freezing, the condensation will be horrible. What would be slick is to have a second half-moon zipper installed on the "Inside" of your modified bug-net, where both the bug-net and the wool fabric are sewn. Unzip the inside fabric straight across your upper chest from left to right. The half-moon flap could then hang down and lay on your chest. This will act as a barrier against your moist exhaled breath, freezing the top side of your top insulation and melting.

The wool flap will gather the frosted deposits and prevent the frozen exhaled condensation from settling on top of your top cover insulation.

Also, a vapor barrier liner that you slide into before covering with the insulation will trap moisture from the body that escapes at night.

I love being able to enjoy the morning view out of my Draumr from a back elevated position. All I lack is a hot cuppa to sip, and as I'm transitioning to cold soak, perhaps full breakfast in bed. Any ideas how to engineer a safe water heating system I could set up with a coffee bag, and hang from the ridge line while it heats? There's gotta be a way.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly* View Post
    ...All I lack... There's gotta be a way.
    https://giphy.com/gifs/mMJygtkZIpu6Y/html5

Hang from the Amur Ridge-Line is entirely possible. Regrets are vast.

Sudden gusts of winds, a bee stings you while you reach for the coffee (or worse the alcohol stove simmer ring) while the bee stings you.

Better check oneself before (said one) wrecks one's self.

Put her in chair mode, buy a simple lightweight backpacking table and put your feet on the ground, thus a stable base.

Shug has videos to illuminate the vision.
    Last edited by joe_guilbeau; 01-03-2021 at 13:40.

I just knocked my Draumr down a few minutes ago.... Had it set up down in the woods about 1/4 mile from home along my own private foot path (neighbor's property). When I deflated the mattress, I was looking at what the options might be if something happened to the air mattress. There is absolutely no way you can lay in it without the mattress.... or even sit in it......... Has anybody faced that crisis yet? It appears to me that the only possible option might be to slip a couple of poles into the mattress pocket, but that would be risky unless you were able to wrap them well so there wasn't danger of them damaging the fabric...... thoughts anybody? it might be worth having someone add on a some attachment points to allow you to do something creative.... say a cross piece (spreader) at the head and foot end, and some paracord tied over your trek poles, or pressing another tree or 4 into service.......... I will start looking at that next time I set it up.

H.W.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly* View Post
    I just knocked my Draumr down a few minutes ago.... Had it set up down in the woods about 1/4 mile from home along my own private foot path (neighbor's property). When I deflated the mattress, I was looking at what the options might be if something happened to the air mattress. There is absolutely no way you can lay in it without the mattress.... or even sit in it......... Has anybody faced that crisis yet? It appears to me that the only possible option might be to slip a couple of poles into the mattress pocket, but that would be risky unless you were able to wrap them well so there wasn't danger of them damaging the fabric...... thoughts anybody? it might be worth having someone add on a some attachment points to allow you to do something creative.... say a cross piece (spreader) at the head and foot end, and some paracord tied over your trek poles, or pressing another tree or 4 into service.......... I will start looking at that next time I set it up.

H.W.
    There are still some Exped Downmat TT 9LW available, or the synthetic version. I use the Amok regular mat in all but the coldest conditions. The Exped Mat I use is the TT 9 Long/Wide Downmat, and have obtained three down tubes for backup. The logical choice is to carry the cheapest longitudinal mat available. I keep the Amok standard mat stored inside the Amok hammock.

Although discontinued, if enough interest is generated (not likely) Exped might consider bringing back this option.

Last edited by joe_guilbeau; 01-04-2021 at 01:33.

[/QUOTE]

Impressive technology! I doubt that I'll be buying an Exped, my Big Agnes is nearly new. I like the concept of independent tubes, but for the time being, keeping a patch kit for the Big Agnes with me at all times will have to do. A couple of tubes would probably be enough to make the hammock usable in an emergency..... This technology could have been built right into the Draumr.....
    Last edited by Owly*; 01-04-2021 at 10:25.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast