Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    I re-engineered an old tent gear loft into a "shelf" that hangs from my RL at the foot end. Holds the clothing I'll wear in the morning and a couple other items. LOVE it - in fact I'm gonna make a lighter version to replace it from noseeum mesh.

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    This forum is incredible - so many great ideas that had not occurred to me about gear hammocks!
    - using it as a pack cover
    - a smaller one INSIDE the hammock - sort of like a much longer and wider ridgeline mini hammock
    - some cool mod ideas
    - hanging it beside the hammock or even off to the side. I like this idea - at the foot end and then use a stick of trekking pole for the other end at a 45 degree to the hammock. Make a nice storage area that would still be under my tarp and also easy to get at.
    - I’ll have to try it as a camp chair as well, see how I like it. Although, the suspension on the one I have is much too lightweight for that. The gear loft itself seems to be built like a tank however and its plenty big enough.

Great ideas all - thanks again. Lots to experiment with which I find so far to be half the fun!

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    When kayak camping, I aways bring a collapsible chair. If I were on a multi-day hike, I might bring a lightweight triangle stool. For just the day or overnight - my hammock is the chair.

I started using a gear hammock when kayak camping because I got tired of getting gear in/out of dry bags over and over. Just as it’s nice to walk into a hammock shelter (porch mode) - no crawling in on your knees - so it is nice to stand next to the gear hammock to retrieve something.

My first was a DIY trying to be a Molly Mac clone. But the seamstress couldn’t picture the desired result (even with a diagram) and put the cover flap on the wrong side.

On a visit to Nama’s site to get some claws, I saw, on clearance, a smaller ridgeline gear hammock. It’s just fine for holding the toiletry kit, change of clothes, binoculars, etc. If it comes out of the pack, it goes into the gear hammock because odds are, I’ll need it again.

But if I were doing something multi-day, on foot, with a lean toward lighter, I’d probably forgo the gear hammock because once I got the hammock, quilts, tarp out of the pack, there wouldn’t be much left. I endeavor to hike in places where I am at the top of the foodchain. So I keep the food either hung off the ground - like in the pack on the suspension line, or kayaking I’m starting to use a bear barrel. With the barrel, I still put it away from camp, just not up in a tree.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    Great ideas!

Something just occurred to me.

A few times when moving from one site to the next, I just keep the hammock fully assemble and stuff the entire thing into my plastic pack liner.

I could stuff it into the gear hammock, wrap that and then stuff that into the plastic liner. Might be easier this way, I’ll give it a try.

Hammock in a bug net in a hammock - oh my!

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless Wide 1.7 Hexon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Beckett hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by sidneyhornblower View Post
    If you want a slightly different take on a gear hammock I'll put some links below to some of my Instagram photos that show mine. It's DIY from 1.0 or 1.1 material purchased from Ripstop by the Roll, and I hang it from the hammock ridgeline. I've used it on a handful of trips and have come to like it very much. While I've also used it as a hammock chair, I find doing so takes up so much time that it's not worth the trouble, but your mileage may vary. These days I put my pack in it plus anything else I want off the ground and under the tarp. Links to some photos are below.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_4dKP7lOR5/

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_xy11GFEWS/

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_Kl99Hl9pl/
    I like this a lot. What are the dimensions?

Quote Originally Posted by SutterButtes View Post
    I like this a lot. What are the dimensions?
    Width is whatever the 1.1 fabric is minus the hem, so call it about 58 inches wide. Length is close to 48 inches, which is really too long. Hung with a good sag, it doesn't take up a lot of real estate since it's at the foot end of the hammock, but if I were making it again I'd make it shorter.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless Wide 1.7 Hexon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Beckett hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by sidneyhornblower View Post
    Width is whatever the 1.1 fabric is minus the hem, so call it about 58 inches wide. Length is close to 48 inches, which is really too long. Hung with a good sag, it doesn't take up a lot of real estate since it's at the foot end of the hammock, but if I were making it again I'd make it shorter.
    Thanks!

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    Thanks for all the ideas. I was in the hammock lab this morning playing around with different ways to hang my gear hammock. So far, this is by far my favorite - basically hung below with a pullout moving the GH to the non-entry side.

My biggest issue with it right under was that it was kind of tight under there with my pack and quilt loaded and I didn’t like the occasional scraping of the tie line on the back of my hammock. I played with it various ways with different connection points, end heights, sag, just wasn’t happy with it under. Also tried it on the ridgeline which I liked, but this one is too big and I’m not sure my pack would fit very well without making be feel crowded.

So, I’m going to try this next time out and see how I like it. I like the idea of anchoring to the hammock suspension just for simplicity.

450C0703-4819-4173-8889-C241CBCBCD70.jpg

Just ordered one from Dutch, I’m not handy when it comes to sewing so thought it easier to buy one. Looking forward to arriving to try out, the idea of having it next to you is a good one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gear Hammock pros and cons

If hanging the gear hammock off the side or slightly underneath how do people achieve this? My assumption would be to hang them on opposite sides of the trees hanging the hammock from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast