SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket

Gear Hammock pros and cons

I’ve been playing around with this in my hammock equipment test area and I’m seeing some great possibilities here. I like to spend a lot of time lounging in the hammock at camp and this seems like a great option to get everything but me out of the hammock for the day. Also seems like a great option for my pack and shoes at night. I’ve got a basic hammock - no shelf, little storage beyond a ridgeline organizer, so this jumped out at me. It weighs 5oz total which doesn’t seem bad.

EEA5A7C7-AADC-4EC2-A31F-9F12AA4F8E1E.jpg
    Also got a dog, well see if she would have any interest in sleeping in this beside me.

What experiences have you all had with gear hammocks and do you still use one?

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    CRO Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'
    I made a 12 foot gathered end hammock and ridgeline organizer but my Chameleon with the sidesling and sidecar spoiled me. I wanted some kind of storage for a drink and other things that I wanted off the ground so I made a gear hammock. It works great and I bring it along when using the 12 foot hammock.

I've since upgraded to a bridge hammock, the Big Guy Bridge from Just Bill. It has pockets at the head end and the bag turns into a ridgeline organizer. I brought the gear hammock on the first trip but didn't use it. The BGB has plenty of storage on its own.
    "God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Tried a cheapo one I found on Amazon. Set up was simple and held all my gear, but I didn't see the point as almost all my gear was either in the hammock with me or in the pack. Food bag is either hung up or in a bear locker. I have a small ridgeline organizer to hold my battery pack, a water bottle and a few loose items. I added a peak shelf (I think HG has a clip on one for the netless hammocks) for my ditty bag and other miscellaneous gear that won't fit in the ridgeline organizer. The only thing in my pack would be all the stuff sacks for the gear and my clothes bag, maybe a camp saw and water filtration gear(unless it's gonna freeze at night, then I sleep with the filter).

I don't use my hammock for lounging however I usually bring my Helinox chair zero. Weighs around 17 oz, heavier than the gear hammock. At camp, I'm sitting by the fire. I'll also set it up if I take a longer break when hiking. At bedtime, the chair becomes the gear hammock, holding my shoes and pack.

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    You know, I do like the idea of a chair. I usually like to have a fire at night when I can and that can’t be too close to the hammock of course.

I like your point on the pack. I mean, everything in the hammock came out of the pack, I can easily stuff the top quilt and pillow back in there for the day.

Hammock
    Chameleon, SLD Voyageur
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG, Trailwinder
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    I brought a gear hammock with me for the first time last month. I was bike camping so I couldn't just hang my backpack from the ridgeline and thought it was a great way to keep my shoes, clothes, a book, etc. right there with me at night. You can use it as a chair too but probably not by the fire. I'm keeping it as a part of my gear. At least when cycling.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, Astd. Dutch
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex, TF
    Insulation
    HG,WLSS,JrB,UGQ,LL
    Suspension
    LW straps/Becket
    Two subjects that people tend to have strong opinions (either way) on are gear hammocks and UQPs. As far as gear hammocks go, people that like them are people who like to be able to keep their stuff within reach at night and up off the ground. I like mine because it allows me to have a clean, dry place to put stuff as I'm digging around in my pack for the one thing that is always deeply hidden. This isn't an issue with some people who just put their pack on the ground or ridgeline and proceed to sleep straight thru the night. I have a UL gear hammock but almost always bring my Dutchware 2Ts combo Gear Hammock, Hammock Chair, pack cover, groundsheet and one other thing that escapes me at the moment. It weighs a couple ounces more but I like the versatility it gives me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tpatter View Post
    What experiences have you all had with gear hammocks and do you still use one?
    If you want a slightly different take on a gear hammock I'll put some links below to some of my Instagram photos that show mine. It's DIY from 1.0 or 1.1 material purchased from Ripstop by the Roll, and I hang it from the hammock ridgeline. I've used it on a handful of trips and have come to like it very much. While I've also used it as a hammock chair, I find doing so takes up so much time that it's not worth the trouble, but your mileage may vary. These days I put my pack in it plus anything else I want off the ground and under the tarp. Links to some photos are below.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_4dKP7lOR5/

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_xy11GFEWS/

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_Kl99Hl9pl/
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    DIY 11.5 XL
    Tarp
    WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Dyneema/MSH
    I also made my own gear hammock/hammock chair from 1.1 fabric. I love the gear hammock which also serves as a pack cover but I agree the hammock chair is just too much trouble when I can use my regular hammock to serve the same purpose. While looking at cutting weight, the gear hammock is definitely something I think I can sacrifice. I also made a Lazy slug tube to make setup and take down much easier and have found that it can also serve somewhat as a gear hammock and so I have been looking at that as a gear hammock alternative. Even with the gear hammock, I still have a small ridge line organizer made from no-see-um that I use for water, headlamp, phone, meds, etc...

I like the idea of a gear hammock, but then it’s just another thing to carry. I like the one that can be used as a chair, would be good for quick breaks while hiking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    I use a gear hammock, actually a Molly Mac Gear Box clone. I travel with a CPAP machine, battery etc, and the gear bag/hammock has been incredibly useful for that. If I'm setup somewhere for more than a day, I use also store some of my other stuff in there during the day.

I've never tried it as a chair, but might try that in the backyard tonight. Also never thought of using it as an UQP, but why not? Backyard hammock lab here I come.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast