Blackbird Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Mountain Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Ridgereape
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles

VIDEO: The Coloraod Trail: Foiled Again

From record high temperatures and the fourth largest forest fire in Colorado history to winds, freezing temperatures, and a foot of snow, extreme conditions were all around for my 2020 Colorado Trail Backpacking Trip.

All started well at the beginning of Segment 5 at the Long Gulch Trailhead. Conditions were cool enough at altitude and smoke was minimal. I even passed by hiking "Legend" Jeff Garmire, who was on his way to breaking the unsupported FKT of the Colorado Trail (485 miles in 9 days!!). I battled through acclimating to the altitude and Day 1 ended about 15 miles in at Kenosha Pass.

Day 2 was also nice. I headed 2,000 feet up over Georgia Pass and camped at the middle fork of the Swan River. Some stomach issues from the altitude hampered me, but things were going well.

On day 3, I planned to stop short of Breckenridge. However, other hikers warmed of freezing rain coming in over night so I walked to the Breckenridge trailhead and buses into Frisco and a motel for the night. Smoke from the fire really increased on day 3 as I headed into town. As I slayed alone in my hotel, the TV bombarded me with doom and gloom of the pending storm and a record 50 degree drop in temperatures. My body enjoyed some rest and real food.

On Day 4, it was cold and snow started to fall. By mid afternoon the snow was heavier and forecasted through lunch of the next day. I went walked to Walmart looking for wool socks. The store still had swimsuits out, but no warm weather clothes. High anxiety and stress filled my head while I sat alone realizing the real potential I wasn't going to get back on the trail soon.

On Day 5, it appeared the snow and extreme wind near peaks I needed to cross wasn't going away soon. Lacking the proper footwear and winter clothing for another 6 days on the trail in cold and wet conditions, I couldn't start again until things improved. Spending $100 a night on hotel, plus food expenses, and taking additional vacation days to wait for improved conditions was also not in the cards. I made the call to my brother to shuttle me back to my car to go home. Given the conditions, getting to my car wasn't a slam dunk either, but my brothers' SUV got us through easily.

When I arrived at home, I second guessed my decision. However, reports on social media from hikers validated my decision. Will I be back in 2021? We will see. :-)

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    HG 0 UQ / 20 TQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    Images
    Tough conditions for hiking, that's for sure. You gave it a good effort. Nice video of the attempt!

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Crazy that you go from record heat to winter conditions...wtf 2020. What was the date you started on? Bummer that you had to call it. Here's hoping that 2021 is better year for all of us.

And that IBTAT impression...

Hammock
    Blackbird Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Mountain Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Ridgereape
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    Crazy that you go from record heat to winter conditions...wtf 2020. What was the date you started on? Bummer that you had to call it. Here's hoping that 2021 is better year for all of us.

And that IBTAT impression...
    Thank you! I started September 5. The snow hit on September 8.

• + New Posts