chameleon dutchware
    Tarp
    rain fly evolution
    Insulation
    onewind underquilt
    Suspension
    beetle buckle

Question hammock height?

i've been looking for a gear hammock that fits under the hammock itself. but where i'm confused is everything i'm seeing is that your hammock shouldn't be no more than 18" off the ground. if that's so that doesn't give any room for your gear. so is the 18" just a suggestion for safety and how high could i go before it's bad for the hammock. the daughter and i are planning a thru hike later on and i'm just trying to get as much info as i can but hammock camping and what not. i'm new to this and i'll be thankful for all the info i can get. thanks guys. i may have posted this in the wrong place but oh well. again tks

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    How far you willing to fall? I've had my suspension slip down the tree...ended up on the ground. I tried a gear hammock...didn't see the point since I had a storage bag I lugged on my back. I just clip my pack on the hammock suspension or throw it in my camp chair.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Trail Winder
    You can hang the hammock as high as you like and are willing to fall. The 18” is recommended for ease of standing up. Much higher and you’ll be on tiptoes while entering and exiting the hammock.

Enjoy your thru hike!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here are some hammock storage options to peruse.
    Enjoy the hammock quest and a right goodie on the thru-hike.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    How high can you hang before it's bad for the hammock? Wrong question - stick with the "how far are you willing to fall" question.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    The cured intestines of my enemies
    Tarp
    Wing of bat
    Insulation
    Possum fur
    Suspension
    of disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by srpullen10 View Post
    ...how high could i go before it's bad for the hammock?...
    That sounds like you're contemplating tightening the suspension to raise your hammock. That would indeed be bad for the hammock.

However if you raise the hammock by raising your tree straps on the trees then there's no damage. It's fine.

I like to have my hammock height so I can sit in it with my feet on the ground. That's too low for a gear hammock underneath. If I raised my hammock I wouldn't have a comfy chair.

Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    Doors for sure
    Insulation
    Love some down
    Suspension
    Usualy helps
    I've never had a problem hanging the hammock high enough for the gear sling and haven't fallen.

Capture (2).JPG

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    The numbers you read are about comfort and not putting too much stress on the system. The sit height is just that. What is the height that works for you such that you can just spin your legs our of the hammock, put them on the ground, and just stand up - like standing up out of a chair. That’s the height for you. So you adjust your hammock to give you that height (your daughter will have her own dimensions) and the correct tension on your ridgeline.

Gear hammocks are useful if you are in one place for a few days and don’t want to keep digging the same things out of your pack. If you are on a thru hike, I’d imagine you’d be packing up and moving each day. With a gear hammock you’d be moving things from your pack to the GH and back to the pack every day. So you might consider leaving things in the pack and hanging it on a carabiner at the end of your hammock, under the tarp.

Or - I got a smaller, but adequate, gear hammock from the NamaClaw site. I spliced a little extra length in my hammock ridgeline so I could tie Apline knots the right distance for that GH and connect with mini-carabiners. Without the splice and alpine knots, I could have just attached prusik loops to the ridgeline and attached the gear hammock.

So my point is, especially with the small gear load of a thru hike, once your shelter is setup there’s not much left in the pack and it can be conveniently hung off the ground and out of the rain. If you do want to move things to a gear hammock (and back the very next day), even a “regular” gear hammock can attach to the hammock ridgeline. I don’t see those Nama ridgeline gear hammocks on their site now - they were on clearance.

Or, you could even run the tarp ridgeline under the tarp and connect the gear hammock to that with prusik loops. The weight of the gear hammock will pull down on the tarp ridgeline so it won’t rub on the seam seal. But you want to be sure you have a WORKING water break on the ridgeline so rain water won’t find its way under.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 09-23-2020 at 12:08.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    chameleon dutchware
    Tarp
    rain fly evolution
    Insulation
    onewind underquilt
    Suspension
    beetle buckle
    tks for the info. very helpful

Hammock
    chameleon dutchware
    Tarp
    rain fly evolution
    Insulation
    onewind underquilt
    Suspension
    beetle buckle
    tks for the videos. i've watched several of them and very helpful. i will say you are a nut and a funny guy. for someone that's as well known as yourself and for you to take time to answer this is pretty cool to me. tks again

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast