WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet
    Insulation
    Wooki, DB
    Suspension
    UCR, Dynaweave
    Quote Originally Posted by danielvalencia View Post
    If op ever decides to swap to a double layer heavy i got one for you its a brown eldorado, I am not needing a pad and I really enjoyed the single layer I have tried (not as firm)
    I am curious to try a double layer but I don't want to get rid of my single layer either. I also will most likely be looking for an XLC this time around, I wanna see what that shelf is all about haha.

I’m still planning on getting a double layer, will be keeping my single layer XLC though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Mantis UL
    Tarp
    Mantis Rainfly
    Suspension
    Python 10 UL
    Bumping this thread rather than start a new one as it matches my own experience. I have tried every suggestion except modifying the ridgeline and worked with the company on some solutions without joy. I used the SweetSpot to verify that I have the correct hangle. For reference, I am 5'9", 160lbs and I have the single layer 40D Dream-Tex model.

One thing I have learned is that the ridge causes less pain when I lay head right for whatever reason. It's still ends up being noticeable and becomes painful after a while. Mostly, I am trying to determine if anyone else has been able to successfully use the Eldorado or XLC without enough calf ridge to cause pain after some time. It seems like many use a pillow under the knees, but I'd love to hear from anyone who does not feel like that is necessary.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tegwar View Post
    Bumping this thread rather than start a new one as it matches my own experience. I have tried every suggestion except modifying the ridgeline and worked with the company on some solutions without joy. I used the SweetSpot to verify that I have the correct hangle. For reference, I am 5'9", 160lbs and I have the single layer 40D Dream-Tex model.

One thing I have learned is that the ridge causes less pain when I lay head right for whatever reason. It's still ends up being noticeable and becomes painful after a while. Mostly, I am trying to determine if anyone else has been able to successfully use the Eldorado or XLC without enough calf ridge to cause pain after some time. It seems like many use a pillow under the knees, but I'd love to hear from anyone who does not feel like that is necessary.
    Possibly some insight in this video.
    Also, try shortening the ridgeline bt wrapping a mini-biner as in picture below.
    Good luck with it.
    Shug

biner on ridgeline.jpg

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Mantis UL
    Tarp
    Mantis Rainfly
    Suspension
    Python 10 UL
    Thanks, I believe I have watched that video twice! I will try tweaking the ridgeline.

Still interested to hear from folks who have theirs set up without calf pain (without a pillow under the knees).

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tegwar View Post
    Thanks, I believe I have watched that video twice! I will try tweaking the ridgeline.

Still interested to hear from folks who have theirs set up without calf pain (without a pillow under the knees).
    I actually don't get calf pain much. Did the video to try and help those that do.
    Have you read the Warbonnet Set-Up directions carefully? May help.....https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/wp...mock-setup.pdf
    From Warbonnet:
    The following describes a detailed setup method that should result in maximum comfort (vs. simply hanging between 2 trees and getting inside, which works also.)

Find 2 trees that are ideally 13-17′ apart. Hang the hammock so that “once occupied” the foot end is about 16″ higher than the head end, and by “end” I mean the end of the fabric, not the attachment point on the tree itself. Since the foot end needs to be significantly higher, the easiest way to achieve this is often to just position the hammock much closer to the foot tree AND attach the webbing to the foot tree at head height or above. Having the head end farther away from it’s tree means it will sink more when you get in and that is usually what you want.

The BB/XLC/Traveler is designed to be laid in “off-center” so that your head is very close to the head end of the hammock while your feet are alot farther away from the foot end. This allows the fabric under your legs to spread out properly when laying on the diagonal. To do this you’ll want to lay so that your eyes are aprox. even with the farthest side tieout (BB or XLC) so that one tieout is even with your eyes and the other is chest level. Once you are laying in this correct spot you will then determine if you want the head/foot end higher or lower. Most people will want it setup so that when your eyes are even with the tieout that you are basically level/horizontal from hips to shoulders, so if your upper body seems too inclined or declined simply move the webbing up or down the tree trunk to adjust.
    Last edited by Shug; 02-12-2021 at 09:12.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

The part about laying closer to the head end in the directions that Shug just posted is what helps the most for me in I'm my Eldorado. That along with raising my foot end higher then head end and then kinda wiggle in, if that makes sense, and use my foot to sorta smooth and stretch out the ridge's. The more I use it the quicker I get at all of this and less fiddle time. Just kinda get it right first time now in most cases.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Mantis UL
    Tarp
    Mantis Rainfly
    Suspension
    Python 10 UL
    I appreciate the help!

Those printed instructions came with the hammock, and I have followed them closely. I bought a SweetSpot and I am on the money. My shoulder is where the zippers come together with my eyes at the pullout nearest the head.

I have tried smoothing things out with my feet, which improves things for about a minute until the ridge forms again. I have tried scooting my butt into different positions which does have a slight effect, but not enough to eliminate the eventual pain. The ridge digs into the very top of my calf below the knee joint.

I feel like I'm pretty close when I lay head right, because there is less pain (maybe due to body asymmetry?). When I first settle in, the pressure isn't immediately uncomfortable. But after about 10 minutes, I can feel the pain/numbness begin and it gets worse from there.

One thing I didn't mention that is probably important is that I am indoors with fixed anchors. I started out with both at 15ft apart at 6' high. Then, I moved the head anchor down about a foot before moving it about 5 inches up from there. I noticed an improvement once I moved the head end down in that I could effectively get the Warbonnet recommended hangle (verified by the SweetSpot) combined with good ridgeline tension. The head angle is close to 30 degrees (measured with finger gun) and the foot end is a significantly higher angle (which is necessary in order to get the recommended hangle, correct?).

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    This doesn't help your situation much, but I hang in my Eldorado every night, and only rarely do I have an issue with calf-ridge. It usually comes about after I have moved the hammock from indoors to outdoors or vice-versa. I mostly adjust it out by adjusting the head end suspension, usually up by an inch or so (not too much!), and wiggling around a little bit once I'm in the hammock. Just that inch or so can make a big difference.

Hope that helps. For what it's worth, I think the Eldorado is a fantastic all-around hammock.

Hammock
    Mantis UL
    Tarp
    Mantis Rainfly
    Suspension
    Python 10 UL
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazytown3 View Post
    This doesn't help your situation much, but I hang in my Eldorado every night, and only rarely do I have an issue with calf-ridge. It usually comes about after I have moved the hammock from indoors to outdoors or vice-versa. I mostly adjust it out by adjusting the head end suspension, usually up by an inch or so (not too much!), and wiggling around a little bit once I'm in the hammock. Just that inch or so can make a big difference.

Hope that helps. For what it's worth, I think the Eldorado is a fantastic all-around hammock.
    I appreciate it. It gives me hope to hear your success. I did see an improvement by altering the head anchor height and feel like I’m getting closer!

When you say adjust the head end up, do you mean moving the anchor point up or shortening the suspension?

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast