WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet
    Insulation
    Wooki, DB
    Suspension
    UCR, Dynaweave

Ridge down center of WB Eldorado?

I'm hanging indoors from 2 anchors ~15' apart with a 40D(1.6) Dream-tex single layer Eldorado, I have hung it several times and nearly every time no matter how much adjusting I do I have a ridge that runs the length of the hammock right down the center and presses against the back of my knees. I have read tons of stuff on here and tried adjusting everything I can without modifying the hammock. I've tried tightening and loosening the suspension, highering and lowering each end, shortening the ridge line by wrapping it around a carabiner one loop at a time. I am completely out of things to try... Any thoughts? Would switching to a double layer hammock alleviate this?

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Post some pics that show the foot and head ends in the same shot, hopefully with you or someone in it. Also, from inside the hammock with you in it, showing your legs and the hammock fabric. I bet they can get you figured out.

Edit: With WB hammocks, your body needs to be closer to the head end. I think your shoulder should be around where the two zippers meet. If you're laying more in the middle of the hammock, that could be part of the problem. I ran into this coming from DW and setting it up like a DW hammock.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You can try shifting your buttocks to make sure you are centered or just off center in the Eldorado.
    Try pushing the ridge with your feet.
    Some more tips in video.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    You might also try increasing the ridge line length with a whoopie ridge line or CL (with a carabiner to adjust length. For me to find the sweet spot in both my WBBB XLC and DH Sparrow I did this. The WBBB XLC still allows me to use the net/top cover, but the Sparrow does not as the net/top cover no longer fit. This is fine because I use the Sparrow most every night indoors as a nightly sleeper, the WBBB XLC as a back packing hammock when I'm not using the Hammoktent 90 degree Gamma UL. The 12' SLD Trail Lair works fine at OEM ridge length, but is even nicer with a bit longer ridge line, but for now I am leaving it OEM length. Actually swapped out the DH Sparrow for the SLD Trail Lair last night to get my body adjusted and install the net/top cover for this weekends Adventure Cycling's Bike Travel Weekend.

This is not for everybody, just what has worked for me.

Hi there, I am new to hammocks also and had the same issues, I am using a WB XLC.

I found the position of my butt to have the most impact on a ridge forming. I eventually managed to totally eliminate it by hanging the foot end ~16 inches higher than the head.

For me when set up the foot end of the hammock will be at my shoulder height, whilst the head end sits at belly button height, this gives me the ideal sit height as well.

It means I am also on more of angle than I originally thought I needed to be.

I hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Rusty Shackelford's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet
    Insulation
    Wooki, DB
    Suspension
    UCR, Dynaweave
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    You can try shifting your buttocks to make sure you are centered or just off center in the Eldorado.
    Try pushing the ridge with your feet.
    Some more tips in video.
    Shug

I already saw this video and watched it again today and tried everything before posting on here, pushing it with my foot helps until I move again which happens a lot lol. The best lay I ever got in it the ridge line was really sagging but it was comfortable, I have tried to recreate this with no success. I spent a couple hours fiddling with it today and the most comfortable lay I could get leaves the head end at 3.5' from the floor and the suspension at 30° and the foot end at 5' and 45° which leaves the ridge line with just enough flex to easily twist it to ~70° ish.

Quote Originally Posted by MongooseDownUnder View Post
    Hi there, I am new to hammocks also and had the same issues, I am using a WB XLC.

I found the position of my butt to have the most impact on a ridge forming. I eventually managed to totally eliminate it by hanging the foot end ~16 inches higher than the head.

For me when set up the foot end of the hammock will be at my shoulder height, whilst the head end sits at belly button height, this gives me the ideal sit height as well.

It means I am also on more of angle than I originally thought I needed to be.

I hope this helps.

I have tried moving my butt this way, that way, every way and it does change the ridge but never gets rid of it. I have been watching your thread on Dream-Tex stretch with interest as I'm beginning to think this problem may be due to the stretch of the material but I have nothing to compare this to as this is my first hammock. I think I may just have to try a DL hammock just to see if I like them and if it's more comfortable for me. Then of course comes the same question you're asking, heavy or light DL? Pretty easy to go down the rabbit hole on the whole thing haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Shackelford View Post
    I already saw this video and watched it again today and tried everything before posting on here, pushing it with my foot helps until I move again which happens a lot lol. The best lay I ever got in it the ridge line was really sagging but it was comfortable, I have tried to recreate this with no success. I spent a couple hours fiddling with it today and the most comfortable lay I could get leaves the head end at 3.5' from the floor and the suspension at 30° and the foot end at 5' and 45° which leaves the ridge line with just enough flex to easily twist it to ~70° ish.

I have tried moving my butt this way, that way, every way and it does change the ridge but never gets rid of it. I have been watching your thread on Dream-Tex stretch with interest as I'm beginning to think this problem may be due to the stretch of the material but I have nothing to compare this to as this is my first hammock. I think I may just have to try a DL hammock just to see if I like them and if it's more comfortable for me. Then of course comes the same question you're asking, heavy or light DL? Pretty easy to go down the rabbit hole on the whole thing haha.
    Yes it is hard to justify multiple hammocks when just starting out. I do love the Dream Tex fabric though.

Senior Member Rusty Shackelford's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet
    Insulation
    Wooki, DB
    Suspension
    UCR, Dynaweave
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    Post some pics that show the foot and head ends in the same shot, hopefully with you or someone in it. Also, from inside the hammock with you in it, showing your legs and the hammock fabric. I bet they can get you figured out.

Edit: With WB hammocks, your body needs to be closer to the head end. I think your shoulder should be around where the two zippers meet. If you're laying more in the middle of the hammock, that could be part of the problem. I ran into this coming from DW and setting it up like a DW hammock.
    That's precisely where I've been positioning myself, here's the requested pics with it hung as comfortably as I could get it today, please excuse the clutter, too much stuff and too little space lol. In the last image the ridge that runs behind my knees is very easy to see.

Capture.jpg
    GOPR1449.jpg
    GOPR1447.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by MongooseDownUnder View Post
    Yes it is hard to justify multiple hammocks when just starting out. I do love the Dream Tex fabric though.

I like the Dream-Tex as well, it has a very soft comfortable feel in comparison to some nylons imo.

Based on what I have found comfortable it looks like your foot end could go a little higher.

For me this puts me on a bit more of angle which seems to help.

I do have a slight ridge that then sits just above my knee but it doesn’t cause any discomfort there.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    I spent a couple hours fiddling with it today and the most comfortable lay I could get leaves the head end at 3.5' from the floor and the suspension at 30° and the foot end at 5' and 45° which leaves the ridge line with just enough flex to easily twist it to ~70° ish.
    It helps with the angle if you position the foot end closer to the tree/hanging point. Can you move your straps higher, or are your connections fixed? That might help with getting a shallower (closer to 30°) angle.

I assume you've already read up on the WB site: https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/wp...mock-setup.pdf

I had a heck of time with calf ridge the first few times I used the Eldorado. Following this doc I was able to get it dialed in.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast