Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Yeah, if you're getting frustrated definitely take some time away. I'm one of those "gets destructive" types when I get super frustrated.

On the WB hammocks, that foot end suspension is way up the tree...sometimes on my tippy toes trying to get high enough when I have those further tree distances.

I don't think it's a fabric or double layer issue...I prefer my DW hammock because it's stretchier over my 70d Eldorado. You have the Dreamtex, which is 40d and (I assume) similar to the HyperD 1.6 and Hexon 1.6 fabrics that are prevalent for DH, DW, SLD, and HG. When I have both set right, I don't have any issues with calf ridge. I don't have a close spot to set up my hammocks and my trees are too far apart, so I had to do live testing on an overnighter.

This might be an opportunity for the entrepreneurial types to make a side hustle using Zoom/Facetime/etc. and do interactive hammock setups. I would've paid some bucks to get it set up right the first time. I like to play with gear, but when it comes to sleep...don't mess with sleep!

Senior Member Rusty Shackelford's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet
    Insulation
    Wooki, DB
    Suspension
    UCR, Dynaweave
    Yes it is 40D which is ~1.6 and I'm beginning to doubt it's a fabric issue given it's popularity and my weight but still would like to try something more firm and see if I like it. I also don't have any trees in my yard that are close enough together so any experimentation has to happen either indoors or out on a hike. I'll take it out somewhere ideal this week and give it a real go where I have a bit more freedom.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Shackelford View Post
    I have not heard of any hangs in my area but I will keep an eye out, nothing very exciting ever happens here. I live right beside Letchworth State Park which is a beautiful place practically within walking distance but they don't allow hammocks or even tents on the Letchworth Trail branch of the FLT, you're expected to use the lean-to shelters provided . The last group hang I read about that was anywhere near me was in Darien Lakes State Park last year around Black Friday.

I usually start out with the suspension around 6' high to get started, can't say where they were when I ended, I had to put it away and walk away for a while lol. I experimented, started out with the ridge line taut but not over tight while occupied then started slowly adjusting the suspension to add more and more sag to the line, checking the lay after every adjustment. I'm confident I could set it up after a long day of hiking and sleep in it but as for laying around at home for comfort, I can't completely get rid of the ridge no matter hot tight/loose I get my ridge line or how much of an angle I seem to have the hammock on. I am going to continue to experiment and eventually try either another fabric or a double layer, not just in hopes of helping with this problem but to see what's out there. Thanks for all the help and input but I'm really not sure what else to do/try at this point so I'll give it a few days and try again, sometimes just walking away from something for a while gives perspective.
    Hey Rusty....yessir, just take your time and enjoy the whole journey.
    Let it flow. You only get to be new at this once.
    I often wish I could start all over as it is worth the effort to get it all set at some point.
    My latest wee passion has been pulling and leaning all about espresso. It is a huge hobby and complicated between type of grind, amounts to dose, water temp, manual or machine, taste, time and it goes on and on. I'll get there but remaining patient in the process.
    Step away and come back with renewed vigor.
    Maybe try making one.....http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock.php
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug
    My latest wee passion has been pulling and leaning all about espresso. It is a huge hobby and complicated between type of grind, amounts to dose, water temp, manual or machine, taste, time and it goes on and on. I'll get there but remaining patient in the process.
    So...we might get to try Medaglia d'Shug?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    So...we might get to try Medaglia d'Shug?
    Whoooooo Buddy Barista Brew....maybe~~!!~~
    Waiting on this custom ordered espresso stove top maker with jet engine technology. Really.....https://9barista.com
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Wait...can you bring that on the trail with you? Pair it with your fancee feast stove!

Have been messing around with hammock today and found any ridge is almost completely eliminated for me by having the attachment points at the same height.

By having the attachment points at the same height and then having the foot end much closer to the attachment point, easily managed ~30deg on suspension both ends.

Also managed to still have about ~16” difference from head to foot.

Might be worth a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images
    I gave up on all this sort of thing a long time ago. For me all GE hammocks have this problem either a little or a lot, though some only rarely have it. But then another time the best one still ends up with it.

The most definite cure I have found is switching to any bridge or a HammockTent 90º. I assume it would also be solved with the Amok. However, if I am wanting to use a GE hammock for some reason, and I sometimes do, and I get the first sign of calf ridge, I just use a big knee pillow. End of problem, regardless of hammock. I take a little trash sack with me and fill it with air and tie it off, putting it in a larger stuff sack. Or use compression stiff sacks or dry sacks filled with air. Or if I have enough stuff with me, I just fill a large stuff sack with clothing. If top quilt fit is an issue, I just use a smaller pillow, but usually it will still be big enough to solve the problem, but not as luxurious. And a good sized knee pillow can make- for me at least- any hammock more comfy even if there is no center ridge problem. Because of this approach, I don't even consider one hammock perhaps having less calf ridge than another anymore. They all become the same for me if using the knee pillow.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie XL
    Suspension
    Becket Straps
    I put the foot end a little over 6 inches higher then the head and try and get that 30 degree angle using my thumb and finger as a guide. Works pretty well for me with a Asym lay and having my shoulders in line with the logo square. I also have an eldorado

If op ever decides to swap to a double layer heavy i got one for you its a brown eldorado, I am not needing a pad and I really enjoyed the single layer I have tried (not as firm)

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast