WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet
    Insulation
    Wooki, DB
    Suspension
    UCR, Dynaweave
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    It helps with the angle if you position the foot end closer to the tree/hanging point. Can you move your straps higher, or are your connections fixed? That might help with getting a shallower (closer to 30°) angle.

I assume you've already read up on the WB site: https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/wp...mock-setup.pdf

I had a heck of time with calf ridge the first few times I used the Eldorado. Following this doc I was able to get it dialed in.
    I have the foot end much closer to the wall than the head end which is why the angle of the suspension is so much steeper at that end, and yes I can move my straps higher and lower at both ends. I have read those instructions at least 3 times now, once before my hammock even arrived and a couple times since getting it which is where I got the idea for having the foot end closer to the anchor point.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Try hanging your Eldorado outdoors, on two trees. It's really difficult to get the hang right when you're limited to anchor points. I'm able to hang my Warbonnet hammocks consistently great when I can slide the tree straps up and down. I have great difficulties getting it right with fixed anchor points - even after 10 years hanging with Warbonnet hammocks. For the last ~5 years, I have been sleeping in a Warbonnet almost each night, indoors, but I had to screw posts to my wall to get the hang right.

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    On a Warbonnet hammock, I alway hang the foot end closet to the tree. It helps make sure I get it higher than the head. I find that shortening the ridgeline helps a bit. I take a mini biner and wrap the ridgeline around it 4 or 5 times. It helps me. YMMV.
    Hammock Tourist / Hammock Fiend / Hammock Therapist

Senior Member Rusty Shackelford's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet
    Insulation
    Wooki, DB
    Suspension
    UCR, Dynaweave
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    Try hanging your Eldorado outdoors, on two trees. It's really difficult to get the hang right when you're limited to anchor points. I'm able to hang my Warbonnet hammocks consistently great when I can slide the tree straps up and down. I have great difficulties getting it right with fixed anchor points - even after 10 years hanging with Warbonnet hammocks. For the last ~5 years, I have been sleeping in a Warbonnet almost each night, indoors, but I had to screw posts to my wall to get the hang right.
    I have mine set up so the suspension can be moved up and down, the height is not set, just the distance between the two points.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Can you get both ends at a 30° angle? I'm guessing the steeper 45° angle at the foot end is the root cause. Maybe move the head closer to the attachment point and shallow out the foot end angle.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet
    Insulation
    Wooki, DB
    Suspension
    UCR, Dynaweave
    Can you get both ends at a 30° angle? I'm guessing the steeper 45° angle at the foot end is the root cause. Maybe move the head closer to the attachment point and shallow out the foot end angle.
    I'll give that a shot this afternoon and see if I can get both ends closer to 30° and let y'all know how it goes.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet
    Insulation
    Wooki, DB
    Suspension
    UCR, Dynaweave
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Shackelford View Post
    I'll give that a shot this afternoon and see if I can get both ends closer to 30° and let y'all know how it goes.

I tried and no matter what I do I can't seem to get both ends at 30°, I always end up with an angle closer to 40° at the foot end after it's risen up above the head. I'm actually beginning to feel kinda dumb here... I can raise each end between 5-7' and the two points are ~15' apart which should be ideal, I just don't get what I'm doing wrong.

Hammock
    Dutch Wide 11', H.H.
    Tarp
    Superfly, Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator 0, Jarbr
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Shackelford View Post
    I tried and no matter what I do I can't seem to get both ends at 30°, I always end up with an angle closer to 40° at the foot end after it's risen up above the head. I'm actually beginning to feel kinda dumb here... I can raise each end between 5-7' and the two points are ~15' apart which should be ideal, I just don't get what I'm doing wrong.
    Maybe visit a group hand in your area if there is one that isn't destroyed by covid
    Once you get it you will love it
    It took.me awhile in the beginning

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    How high are the foot/head end straps above the ground? On this last round of fiddling, how tight was the ridgeline? Don't focus too hard on the 30° angle. Did you try getting in and seeing if the calf ridge was better/worse?

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet
    Insulation
    Wooki, DB
    Suspension
    UCR, Dynaweave
    Quote Originally Posted by brutalguyracing View Post
    Maybe visit a group hand in your area if there is one that isn't destroyed by covid
    Once you get it you will love it
    It took.me awhile in the beginning

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I have not heard of any hangs in my area but I will keep an eye out, nothing very exciting ever happens here. I live right beside Letchworth State Park which is a beautiful place practically within walking distance but they don't allow hammocks or even tents on the Letchworth Trail branch of the FLT, you're expected to use the lean-to shelters provided . The last group hang I read about that was anywhere near me was in Darien Lakes State Park last year around Black Friday.

How high are the foot/head end straps above the ground? On this last round of fiddling, how tight was the ridgeline? Don't focus too hard on the 30° angle. Did you try getting in and seeing if the calf ridge was better/worse?
    I usually start out with the suspension around 6' high to get started, can't say where they were when I ended, I had to put it away and walk away for a while lol. I experimented, started out with the ridge line taut but not over tight while occupied then started slowly adjusting the suspension to add more and more sag to the line, checking the lay after every adjustment. I'm confident I could set it up after a long day of hiking and sleep in it but as for laying around at home for comfort, I can't completely get rid of the ridge no matter hot tight/loose I get my ridge line or how much of an angle I seem to have the hammock on. I am going to continue to experiment and eventually try either another fabric or a double layer, not just in hopes of helping with this problem but to see what's out there. Thanks for all the help and input but I'm really not sure what else to do/try at this point so I'll give it a few days and try again, sometimes just walking away from something for a while gives perspective.
    Last edited by Rusty Shackelford; 09-22-2020 at 14:55.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast