Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dream Tex Stretch

Currently using a WB XLC single layer Dream Tex.

I think I have finally got the nice flat level lay however my lower back seems to get a bit sore when laying the hammock for any length of time.

I am thinking there is a bit too much stretch for my back, I normally sleep on a very firm mattress at home.

I am thinking of getting an Eldorado in double layer to try, would the lightweight double add significantly to the support or would I be better off with a double layer heavyweight.

Keeping in mind that weight is not really a consideration for me and I have a Wooki for insulation.

Any help or ideas much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MongooseDownUnder; 09-21-2020 at 08:17.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    How much you weigh? On WB site, they say for the single layer "users above 250 lbs (113 kg) will experience more stretch."

I weigh about 200, 6 feet tall.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 2.0,WBRR,ElDorado
    Tarp
    12' Silpoly DIY
    Insulation
    HG TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Outdoor Ink Straps
    Images
    I purchased a XLC single layer and it works just fine but I got in my buddy's lightweight double layer and it was so much more comfortable so I purchased a lightweight double layer.

I am 5' 6" and 135#.

Both are great but I really like the the double layer better. HYOH

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    I’m still fairly new to this, but have found that I much prefer less stretch for whatever reason - combined with a wide body, it’s just more comfortable to me. I like to hit that thing and almost bounce rather than feeling like I’m sinking in plastic!

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I don't particularly like the Lightweight DLs, since they have kind of a weird stretch for me. I love the old 70D Heavyweight DLs, but the Dream-Tex Heavyweight DLs are not too bad. If weight is no issue, I would always go for the Heavyweight DL.

Senior Member Rusty Shackelford's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet
    Insulation
    Wooki, DB
    Suspension
    UCR, Dynaweave
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    I don't particularly like the Lightweight DLs, since they have kind of a weird stretch for me. I love the old 70D Heavyweight DLs, but the Dream-Tex Heavyweight DLs are not too bad. If weight is no issue, I would always go for the Heavyweight DL.
    Can you please explain what about the Dream-Tex Heavyweight DLs makes them less desirable than the 70D to you please? Are the Lightweight DLs significantly stiffer than a SL 70D?

Hammock
    Black Bird XLC, Chameleon, Draumr
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts/Pads
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by MongooseDownUnder View Post
    Currently using a WB XLC single layer Dream Tex.

I think I have finally got the nice flat level lay however my lower back seems to get a bit sore when laying the hammock for any length of time.

I am thinking there is a bit too much stretch for my back, I normally sleep on a very firm mattress at home.

I am thinking of getting an Eldorado in double layer to try, would the lightweight double add significantly to the support or would I be better off with a double layer heavyweight.

Keeping in mind that weight is not really a consideration for me and I have a Wooki for insulation.

Any help or ideas much appreciated.

Ran into the same problem, I shortened my ridgeline to fix this issue. I came from the double layer heavyweight blackbird lxc, which has a stiffer fabric. So far I’m liking the new single layer hammock. The Eldorado and the Blackbird xlc share the same hammock body. The only difference is the bugnet does not have the shelf on the Eldorado.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Shackelford View Post
    Can you please explain what about the Dream-Tex Heavyweight DLs makes them less desirable than the 70D to you please? Are the Lightweight DLs significantly stiffer than a SL 70D?
    Sure, the LW DLs have one layer more than the SLs, therefore they have considerably less stretch. I don't get back pain in these, but I don't like them.

Warbonnet currently offers these fabric combinations (sorted from most stretch to least stretch):

40D Single Layer
    70D Single Layer

40D / 15D Lightweight Double Layer
    40D / 20D Lightweight Double Layer

40D / 40D Heavyweight Double Layer
    70D / 70D Heavyweight Double Layer

It is difficult to compare stretch, because it not only depends on yarn weight, but also on the weave. A plain fabric stretches more than a ripstop fabric.

What I can say with absolute certainty is, that the 70D / 70D DL has the least amount of stretch. The 40D / 40D DL also has little stretch, but still noticeably more than the 70D / 70D. My back likes the 70D DLs better than the 40D DLs.

However, I have to add that I sleep in a hammock every night. 90% of the time I use a 70D HW DL Warbonnet XLC / Eldorado. For a couple of nights, most hammocks with little stretch will do. But after a week, I usually know how they compare to my favorites.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mehyatink View Post
    Ran into the same problem, I shortened my ridgeline to fix this issue.
    I would really, really not do this on most hammocks with integrated nets. Obviously it depends on how much you shorten the ridgeline, but a shorter ridgeline creates more sag. However, the net is not cut for more sag. The net will be flexible enough to not tear, but there will be a lot more stress on the zippers, which will create more wear.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast