Dutchware Netless Wide 1.7 Hexon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Beckett hitch

Splicing question

My question is regarding the proper way to make a locked brummel for a fixed eye or a continuous loop. I posted the question in an old sticky but didn't really receive an answer.

The question arised as I was researching how to make a UCR ridgeline for my hammock. I watched 2 videos that are recommended in the DIY stickies. One is by TacBlades (how to make UCRs) and the other is by TheBrewGuy (how to make continuous loops).

The difference lies in how much of the short end you bring through the first awl hole. TacBlades shows that you bring the first end through until your mark for the second hole comes through the first hole. TheBrewGuy shows that you bring the end through the first hole but stop before you bring the mark through hole.

Please contrast the two videos.
    https://youtu.be/W-_qsRXXLsU posted by TacBlades at 4:16.
    https://youtu.be/xcoKeXAwBZY posted by TheBrewGuy at 4:36.

When I posted in the previous thread P-Dub directed me to a tutorial at this site https://l-36.com/brummel2.php which shows a completely different method.

I later found some fixed eye instructions from Samson on page 1 of a PDF explaining how to splice a whoopie sling using Class II 12 strand Amsteel. https://www.samsonrope.com/resources/how-to-splice-rope

So my questions are these: Are all of these techniques viable? Are they all "Locked Brummels"? Is one better or worse than the others?

Here's another interesting tidbit I found in my research on locked brummels:
    https://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2...nked-fatality/

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I do it the way Tac does.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    The answer to your question is that these two gents are making two separate items that use different splices. Tac Blades is making a lock Brummel and that is the correct method.

Brewguy is making a running splice. It is not a locked splice. The method he is using is designed to make a smooth transition for the CL.

One way to test the "Lock" is to pull on the ends and see if it comes apart. As you can tell in Tac Blades. To pull the lock tight he pulls on the working ends of the line not the tag ends. Thus, the locked brummel would hold even if you did not burry the tag end of the rope.

To the contrary Brew guy needs to pull on the tag ends to tighten up the pass throughs. If he pulled on the working line the whole thing would come apart. This method of CL making relies on the burry length of the tag end to keep them from coming apart.

Hth

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    Indeed... K.I.S.S.: Cross them through, tuck the tails. Been hanging on loops I made like this for many a night and haven't been plonked yet.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    I will add, that both videos and methods are correct for what they are for. The Locked Brummel for a fixed eye on the end of a line is a different product than a round continuous loop. They require different methods to achieve the result needed for the product being made. You can use the Tac Blades' locked Brummel for a continuous loop, however you will end up with bump on the loop that may not be desired.

As you perform both methods observe where the tag ends end up and you will start to understand the differences and why each method is used for the product desired.

Hammock
    SLD, Townsend bridge
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    WB,UGQ,Nunatak
    Suspension
    Beckets
    I do not know the intricacies of splicing like many people here but I use TacBlades methods whenever I can. His methods are simple enough so even I can follow them and have never failed for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    There was one YouTube that discussed two styles of a CL. One had the bury/tail of side A into Side B, the other, after making the lock, folded the tail of Side A back into Side A. The second method creates a small telltale bump at the splice. The comparison video mentioned the difference between a single user who only makes a relatively few CL’s vs a commercial enterprise who may make hundreds. I mentioned that the preference may have more to do with economy - the folded back style took less Amsteel. It was also more “pull apart-able” proof. Except I can’t imagine a scenario where something would grab the side-A into side-B style enough to pull it apart. And it’s so simple to just rotate that section inside a channel or folded up in some hitch.

In either case the strength (hold) level of either style was far in excess of any expected human load.

It’s good to note, as other pointed out, that maybe you are watching a video of two different products rather than two ways to make one product - though again, there are two different ways to splice a CL.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Beckett hitch
    Thank you very much to all who responded! Now to read through and try to understand them.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Beckett hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    I appreciate this since it was your use of mini UCRs that first got me thinking about incorporating UCRs of various sizes in my setup.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Beckett hitch
    I got a migraine Monday night. Yesterday I tried to understand your replies but it hurts my head to concentrate too hard. Migraines always last me at least 48 hours but I should be able to think straight by tomorrow to work through the rest of your responses.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast