Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Becket

Lightbulb [Solved] Sliding down my ridgeline hitting me in the face

Hey guys

This is my fifth trip hammock camping now. One thing i like to do is attach a small light, flask, phone, etc. to my ridgeline so I have easy access to it during the night. However when I did this on my last trip specifically I noticed that they would all slide down the ridgeline and hit me in the face. I tried to tie a prusik knot but it didn't help that much. Any ideas how I can stop this sliding down (preferably a simple, lightweight solution)?

Thanks
    Last edited by 1qkz_; 09-20-2020 at 17:56.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    What did you use to make the prussics?

Shockcord, or even a hair tie grab well to either Lash-it or Amsteel. I use them for stoppers on my DH Gear Locker, and it's usually loaded. They release easy enough to reposition with out slipping for me.

I attach my UQ suspension to my Freebird RL which is Amsteel. I use Mason Line for those Prussics, given an extra wrap are rock solid. Id know if they moved in an instant on any cold night.

Lash-it or Zing-it are used as Prussics on the CRL on Dutchware's Kit. I needed to add an additional wrap those as well but they work fine too.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20° Wookie
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    I have a note 20, Hang time hook, 20,000MA battery, a headlamp ect, and a prusick made of 550 cord on my warbonnet ridge line holds fast, just have to tighten it periodically. What kinda of cordage is your prussic made of?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    What did you use to make the prussics?

Shockcord, or even a hair tie grab well to either Lash-it or Amsteel. I use them for stoppers on my DH Gear Locker, and it's usually loaded. They release easy enough to reposition with out slipping for me.

I attach my UQ suspension to my Freebird RL which is Amsteel. I use Mason Line for those Prussics, given an extra wrap are rock solid. Id know if they moved in an instant on any cold night.

Lash-it or Zing-it are used as Prussics on the CRL on Dutchware's Kit. I needed to add an additional wrap those as well but they work fine too.
    Thanks for the quick reply. I just used some spare hoochie line (not sure what it is exactly - but I just use it was my tarp line and guy line).

I just tied it there and hung the items behind it to stop them passing down. Perhaps what I could do next time is actually attach them to the prusik loop - thinking back on it, that's probably the smarter option.

Hammock
    HG 10’ w/net
    Tarp
    Anything with door
    Insulation
    HQ 20*/40* UQ-TQ
    Suspension
    Tree straps to con
    I think, if I may, the group may be under the impression that you hung your item from the Prusik, which is the solution to your dilemma.

Another option is ridge line organizer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Too many to list here.
    Tarp
    UGQ Hex Hanger 12
    Insulation
    HG and AHE UQ/TQs
    Suspension
    DIY short whoopies
    It sounds like either:

A- Your hammock was sagging too much, as in more towards a "U" shape, making your ridgeline too loose and droopy (this usually happens when the trees are too close to each other and people try to make their hammock fit between them anyway, or the suspensions are set up at an angle steeper than 30°).

or

B- The suspension was set up correctly making the ridgeline nice and taut, but you raised the hammock's foot end or the head end too much causing the ridgeline to ride on an incline.

The solution for A is to device a way to quickly gauge the distance between the trees, even before you pull your hammock out its sack. I for example do this by standing between the two trees and stretching my arms out while holding my trekking poles. If the tips of the poles touch the trees then I know the distance is too short for the length of my tarp, which in turn dictates where I can hang my hammock. Other people do it by measuring their steps between the trees.

The solution for B is to consistently set up the hammock leveled at first (the ridgeline should be horizontal and the suspensions ideally at 30°). If later you prefer to have the foot end a bit higher than the head end, you can slide the webbing up that tree a few inches, but always do this after you've found the mean horizontal line.

Hope that makes sense.

R
    Backpacking trips in the tropical jungles of Latin America... Exploring our living planet from within...
    http://www.jungletreks.com

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktreks View Post
    It sounds like either:

A- Your hammock was sagging too much, as in more towards a "U" shape, making your ridgeline too loose and droopy (this usually happens when the trees are too close to each other and people try to make their hammock fit between them anyway, or the suspensions are set up at an angle steeper than 30°).

or

B- The suspension was set up correctly making the ridgeline nice and taut, but you raised the hammock's foot end or the head end too much causing the ridgeline to ride on an incline.

The solution for A is to device a way to quickly gauge the distance between the trees, even before you pull your hammock out its sack. I for example do this by standing between the two trees and stretching my arms out while holding my trekking poles. If the tips of the poles touch the trees then I know the distance is too short for the length of my tarp, which in turn dictates where I can hang my hammock. Other people do it by measuring their steps between the trees.

The solution for B is to consistently set up the hammock leveled at first (the ridgeline should be horizontal and the suspensions ideally at 30°). If later you prefer to have the foot end a bit higher than the head end, you can slide the webbing up that tree a few inches, but always do this after you've found the mean horizontal line.

Hope that makes sense.

R
    Thanks - I think the solution was that I just wasn't using my prusik optimally - I should haved attached the items to the loop or to the loop and the ridge line.

However incidentally my hammock probably also wasn't taught enough - the ridgeline was very slack. I'm still experimenting with my WBBB XLC, which is supposed to have the foot end quite a bit higher. Using the becket is kind of annoying for that I am finding, so I'll try with some whoopie slings and see how I go.

Appreciate the thorough response though!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC and DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Wooki / Top quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    With the WBBB XLC you can put all of that in the shelf.
    The only thing I hang on my ridge line is my watch that doubles as my thermometer so that I can grab it easily in the dark.

With the foot-end higher than the head-end it will always slide that way, however I just push it along the ridge line towards above my head so it’s not going anywhere.

Good to see another WBBB XLC user in Aus!

Images
    A small Bulldog clip (spring type paper clip) can stop item or ridgeline organizer from sliding.

• + New Posts