Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incu+SLD TW+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    WB webbing

Question Is it just me or am I doing something wrong?

So I've been hammocking since this lockdown summer and have 'graduated' from falling asleep in a cheap Amazon hammock one summer evening and waking up at like 4a.m. being a little bit chilly, with the phone on my lap, glasses still on. As temperatures got colder, I added in blankets, my sleeping bag, got a new sleeping bag and hung the old one under the hammock as an "underquilt" etc.

My current setup is a WBBB XLC double layer with a 20F SLD Trail Winder symmetric UQ and a Teton Sports 0F Altos mummy sleeping bag. I always have regular clothes on as well as a down vest.

Here's my problem: I get cold towards the morning.

I have used the sleeping bag as an actual sleeping bag, all zipped up, draft collar tightened etc. but I wake up cold at some point during the night, maybe around 4 or 5 a.m. The footbox in the mummy bag is all cold and I had cold feet and the legs felt cold as well. That was on nights around 40F. Usually with this setup, I am too warm when going to bed, feet are so toasty that I have to take even my regular socks off and when I wake up at 2a.m. or something to pee, I gotta put the wool socks on.

So yesterday I tried something different because I thought that I might not actually be using the Trail Winder properly by having all that insulation from the sleeping bag under me (even if squished - but it's synthetic, not down), so my body heat is actually trapped inside the bag too much. I put my sit pad half-inflated under my feet (in between the layers, so it stays put), I did _not_ zip up the sleeping bag and instead I'm using it as a top quilt. Just to be sure I also threw a home made blanket over the sleeping bag, making sure to wrap it around the footbox too. It's just got generic synthetic stuffing in it but it's actually quite nice. I used it as bottom insulation in late-ish summer before. I also use a balaclava now and have a wool beanie standing by in the shelf.

This made going to bed much better. I was able to keep my socks on because it wasn't too hot but I was still toasty warm. I guess is helps that you don't have to wrestle with the zipper and getting everything in the right position, working up a sweat - wanting to open the zipper again because it's too hot now When I woke up to pee for the first time it was all nice and warm, feet were great, legs were great, torso and head great. Top Quilt success.

Or so I thought. Around 4 or 5 a.m. I woke up again and the footbox felt cold, although I do have to say that my feet were actually warm! Whichever way I turned and I was also checking whether my 'top quilt' was still tucked in everywhere, I always felt a cold spot. Stretching my legs out, I could feel the cold all down my legs and even going into fetal position - which helps with the feet tho. There was always a cold spot somewhere in the back although I have to say that I think it was better than the night before but still not comfy. The thermometer says it went down to 34F last night.

So big question: Am I just doing something wrong gear wise? Is it that I'm just a very very cold sleeper?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    It sounds like the UQ may not be set up correctly and you have gaps somewhere. It needs to be up against your body.
    Maybe the climashield is not effective for you.
    I tried climashield at one point and never found it warmed me as well as my goose down.

UG full length or partial?
    Also try putting the sitpad under your feet inside the sleeping bag. I've always had success that way.

Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Sounds like your make-shift UQ is letting cold air in. Sometimes reaching around to feel for gaps isn't as effective as having someone else look. Your body movement as you reach around closes gaps that will open back up as you settle in again.

I struggled with cold feet for years. Nothing would help. Full length, 20F and 0F under quilts, warm top quilts, sit pads, fetal position... nothing will let me feet stay warm through the night. Finally remedied this with a few changes..

• Be absolutely certain you change your socks before your turn in. No matter how dry you THINK your socks are, they aren't. The slightest bit of moisture will chill you to the bone.
    • I always have a small container of Gold Bond powder and a sprinkle before putting dry socks on not only feels great, but destroys any lingering moisture and damp skin
    • Loose fitting socks have proven to be far warmer than tight hiking socks
    • Possum Down socks are the warmest socks I have found, short of battery power! (I tried down both JRB & Goose Feet Gear down booties, but they aren't as comfortable as the Possum Down.

I keep the Possum Down socks in my winter TQ. Never wear them hiking. I have changed into them in camp once or twice, but usually wait until I am in the hammock for the night. No sense it putting dry socks into potentially damp sweaty shoes. They are always ready & dry and might be the single most significant enhancement I have made to winter hammocking kit.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incu+SLD TW+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Let me get this out before getting to the actual reply: Greetings from Montreal to Minnesota and Thank you sooo much Shug! Your videos have helped me so much in my hammocking journey and they're always a delight to watch. Just for the fun of it! Yesterday before going to bed I watched your "How to use a sleeping bag as a top quilt" video. Twice
    I wish you all the best for your retirement and a lot of hammocking in your future!

I have the full length 10' SLD Trail Winder. I can definitely attest to the fact that a loose fitting UQ would do this. My makeshift version before had that problem, which is why I got the Trail Winder

I have the Trail Winder hooked into the suspension of the hammock (I have the WB webbing suspension) and I have the shock cord on the ends cinched almost as tight as I can to pull it. I guess I could get it a little bit tighter still but not much. See here:

20200920_114857.jpg

20200920_114913.jpg

I have the side channel shock cords also cinched up pretty tightly, like so:

20200920_114940.jpg

When I check under myself I can feel the warmth between the UQ and the hammock after being in it a bit and it feels like it's butting up. I do think the foot end might not really cradle the hammock but that's much harder to check myself, as I have to sit up in the hammock to check, which changes how the two fabrics lay against each other. So yeah will probably have to have the SO check. Thanks MikekiM!

FWIW, the wool socks I do use when getting cold feet are loose fitting and my 'hikes' are pretty short, maybe 10 meters from the patio door to the hammock They're always tucked into an inner pocket, so they're warm when I have to put them on. I guess with the 'top quilt mode' sleeping bag I will be able to stand having them on when going to bed even. They're just too warm at current temps (yesterday ~50F when I went to sleep) when I zip up completely.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    One often made mistake, especially when new to setting up underquilts, is make the shock cord suspension too tight; both the length and the end cinch. More so the ends. What looks good when you are out of the unloaded hammock is probably too tight once you're in. I use 10.5 and 11 foot hammocks and added about six inches to the primary suspension on all my quilts to ease some of the tension.

Loosen everything... way loose. Get in and set. Let your SO start with the length adjustment. If you have primary and secondary suspension, the primary likely doesn't have an adjustment. Get the quilt positioned head to toe so you have coverage and then let your SO tighten the secondary suspension which is designed to keep the quilt from sliding head to toe more than lifting the quilt.

Then let your SO gently tighten the end cinch until the gaps at your head and feet are gone. I'll be the bank that you get a nice seal with far less tension on the end cinch than you have now.

If you need a visual, watch Shugs vid again.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Get someone close to your size and weight to get in the hammock and with the gear set up the way you would be using it. Then check to make sure you are getting the coverage you need, is the UQ actually snug against the bottom of the hammock ( the UQ should be tighten to the point that it is just starting to lift the hammock when you are not in it, Are there big gaps at the ends of the UQ that could be letting cold air in. Reach in between the hammock and UQ to make sure there are no big gaps. If it is cold out I throw my jacket/coat down to the foot end of the hammock and use that to insulate my feet. Once everything looks good have the person move around inside the hammock to make sure the UQ does not shift.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Trail Winder
    I’m no expert, but I am wondering whether being too warm early in the night might be causing you to sweat thereby creating the cold spots later on.

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless - for now
    Tarp
    Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I agree that it sounds like your UQ is letting you down. And the comment about OVER cinching is possible. I honestly think this will be your fix when you get it.

As nuts as this sounds, try no socks. It's going to be cold getting in but as someone said any moisture will chill you. Even wool will get cold if at all damp. Also even loose socks can constrict blood flow. If you're hanging foot end higher that little bit of pinch from the sock could be enough to limit blood flow to your tootsies. Throw some handwarmers in the bottom of your bag for some warmth if your worried about being barefoot.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incu+SLD TW+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Thanks everyone for your tips so far. Another chilly night coming up. Another night to try something

I've cinched up the end as far as possible now so that the UQ is as close as possible to the hammock at the foot end. However, I've also loosened the shock cord in the middle.

FWIW I've done no socks most nights so far for going to bed as I was using the sleeping bag zipped up until last night and with even regular socks on it was just too warm. 42F now and really warm in the foot box. I really wonder if it's just my body shutting down the heating so to speak at some point during the night.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    I hang my hammock. Then I hang my underquilt, but underquilt is pushed off and to the side, the front side so I can see both hammock and underquilt. Middle bottom of my hammock will be about a foot lower than middle bottom of underquilt. This way, when underquilt is pulled back into place under hammock, it lifts empty hammock six inches to a foot.
    Also the short cords on both ends of hammock should not be tightened into a U-shape; this will make an air gap and let cold air in both ends.

Also when temperatures reach low twenty’s Fahrenheit, I have switched my 20* underquilt for my zero* underquilt.
    And sometimes I stack them both.
    Good luck!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast