Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incu+SLD TW+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Haha, niiiice! And special greetings down to you in Richmond there. Almost spitting distance

I'm definitely going to use this winter to try out this whole winter camping/hammocking thing (in the yard) . Can't wait for x-mas, hoping HG will be able to finish my Incubator soon, coz it'll sit in shipping for a while. Santa ordered a few weeks back when it said 5 weeks lead time. Couple days later they updated it to 7 weeks Birthday coming up early Jan too and hoping Warbonnet will ship the Superfly soon too coz the x-mas backlog will probably be way worse this year vs regular years I'm guessing.

If you don't mind my asking, you mentioned a Frost bib I'm guessing you also have something covering your face too at those temps, like that mask Shug's got. What do I even search for to find something like that? Or do you just go with Balaclava and tuque?

Hammock
    BBXLC / sparrow
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    wooki/burrow/
    Suspension
    straps
    i made a frost bib just they way shug taught us in the vids: just a piece of fabric that hangs from the ridgeline and goes behind your head to keep the frost off of your quilt.

camping next to a heated building is THE best way to shake out your winter gear. make no mistake: the only reason i tried out my setup at fifteen below was because there was a heated cabin nearby.

there are going to be some folk who will be all like "Yeah, i slept out in my hammock at fifteen degrees with a thirty degree quilt but i didn't lose any toes, it was fine" but not me. i like to be COMFORTABLE. it's not me versus the elements to see if i will live. it's me versus the elements to see if i will be comfortable and enjoy the time.

it's a different game.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by arutha View Post
    Haha, niiiice! And special greetings down to you in Richmond there. Almost spitting distance

I'm definitely going to use this winter to try out this whole winter camping/hammocking thing (in the yard) . Can't wait for x-mas, hoping HG will be able to finish my Incubator soon, coz it'll sit in shipping for a while. Santa ordered a few weeks back when it said 5 weeks lead time. Couple days later they updated it to 7 weeks Birthday coming up early Jan too and hoping Warbonnet will ship the Superfly soon too coz the x-mas backlog will probably be way worse this year vs regular years I'm guessing.

If you don't mind my asking, you mentioned a Frost bib I'm guessing you also have something covering your face too at those temps, like that mask Shug's got. What do I even search for to find something like that? Or do you just go with Balaclava and tuque?
    Here is what the frost bib is. I really only use it in more serious Winter temps.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Aretha, I use a balaclava I can pull over my nose if it get’s that cold. In the winter, at home, I don’t have a place to rig a tarp so outdoors I always sleep in a sock (full breathable nylon enclosure). I have a small section unzipped providing ventilation to minimize condensation. But it’s a balance between enough ventilation to minimize condensation and too much ventilation allowing too much heat loss.

Sometimes I wear a “furry” hat with ear flaps. But the first layer is a balaclava. If I start out with a second layer (some additional clothing hood), I usually remove it by morning.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 12-10-2020 at 14:24.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incu+SLD TW+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Hehe, yeah definitely good to test this all out right next to the house just in case. That said today it snowed and by comparison it's super warm. Only 32F and I even have my wristies pulled back and I'm almost sweating. I'm definitely looking for comfy, not for "I didn't die" But I really like feeling a cold breeze on the face while sleeping. We usually sleep with the window open, even in winter.

For when I need to go out in real cold weather or a snow storm I definitely love my fur hat with ear flaps (Russian Ushanka style), totally agree on that cougarmeat! It's 100% shearling and nothing has ever kept my head and ears as warm as that hat! No wind ever comes through and I definitely can't wear it shoveling snow. I'll be sweating in no time. I never thought about going into the hammock with it though.

I never really liked pulling my balaclava over mouth and nose. So I'm really looking for what Shug's got on in that Frost bib video. Looking at it again, is that just a balaclava with a nose and mouth hole cut in? I thought it was some sort of "mask" but looking at it over and over it might just be a balaclava with holes. If so, how did you get them to be exactly in the right place? My balaclava sort of moves around a lot. But maybe it's just a size too big.

Quote Originally Posted by arutha View Post
    Hehe, yeah definitely good to test this all out right next to the house just in case. That said today it snowed and by comparison it's super warm. Only 32F and I even have my wristies pulled back and I'm almost sweating. I'm definitely looking for comfy, not for "I didn't die" But I really like feeling a cold breeze on the face while sleeping. We usually sleep with the window open, even in winter.

For when I need to go out in real cold weather or a snow storm I definitely love my fur hat with ear flaps (Russian Ushanka style), totally agree on that cougarmeat! It's 100% shearling and nothing has ever kept my head and ears as warm as that hat! No wind ever comes through and I definitely can't wear it shoveling snow. I'll be sweating in no time. I never thought about going into the hammock with it though.

I never really liked pulling my balaclava over mouth and nose. So I'm really looking for what Shug's got on in that Frost bib video. Looking at it again, is that just a balaclava with a nose and mouth hole cut in? I thought it was some sort of "mask" but looking at it over and over it might just be a balaclava with holes. If so, how did you get them to be exactly in the right place? My balaclava sort of moves around a lot. But maybe it's just a size too big.
    arutha, you can probably find a snowmobile mask or skier mask. My daughter and her husband were on a cycle trip and ran into cold/ and stopped at a motorcycle dealer and got a couple nice insulated face masks. I usually wear a wool knit cap that can be rolled down with a nose and mouth hole- works for me. YMMV

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234