Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Excruciating back pain

I’m on a section hike of the AT, and currently losing good sleep to pain in the center of my back every night. I’m in a Hennessy Ultralite Explorer on whoopies. I thought I was pretty hammock savvy, been using them for years. But this is what killing me, and I can’t figure out my error. I approximate 30deg for the straps best as I can, pull the whoopies tight till the ridgeline is taut, and lay at an angle. I know the long days are not helping, but the hammock is making it so much worse. I’ll try to take photos today and add to the thread after I set up. Could I be pulling things too tight? I always thought the structural ridgeline meant that couldn’t really happen.

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    When you say the ridgeline is taut, do you mean taut before getting in or after? When you're in the hammock you should be able to grab the ridgeline and bend it up to about 90-degrees. If you can't do that you've probably got things too tight.
    "Behold, as a wild a** of the desert, go I forth to my work." -- Guerney Halleck

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Check the ridgeline carefully to make sure it hasn't kinked or knotted itself, thus shortening it, but that seems unlikely. I suppose it's also possible that the ridgeline has stretched (actually "creeped", which is non-elastic deformation, i. e. didn't spring back after lengthening). That's equally improbable, though. The twist test Trail Runner mentioned is just an indicator needed for non-structural ridgelines, but it doesn't hurt to have the ridgeline sort of tight instead of super taut. Being experienced, you've probably already tried intentionally hanging with more sag. Maybe it's your body telling you something. (Mine does, but it's just age.) I sleep great for 6 hours. An hour's nap in the afternoon to supplement is a real treat on the trail. Good luck!

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Another thought - how's your insulation? Back muscles don't like cold spots. They can cramp up so quick you'll feel pain before you notice the cold.

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    It's also ok if your ridgeline is a little bit slack when you are in the hammock.I to with the "be able to bend it up" method like Shug shows in one of his videos because I have a ridgeline organizer and don't want it in my face at night.

Having suffered with back pain for years before figuring out how to cure it after surgeon refused to operate,it sounds like the hammock might be a bit too taut against your back in just the right or wrong place.I offer this because a tight belt will make my back hurt because of the pressure point etc.

Guys, thanks for all this info. I’m unable to provide pics, as I suffered a gnarly shin splint hours after this thread posted. Shacked up for a few days until I can hike again. But yes, I have been pulling the whoopies until the ridgeline is fully taut. I always assumed this was correct, perhaps because I’m coming from years on an ENO that I modded with an adjustable ridgeline that, when taut, was set to my perfect sag. But now that I have a fixed ridgeline, I can see how this is not necessarily going to be right. I would love to see the Shug video you’re referring to if you can link it. The adjustable ridgeline was ideal for me, as pulling it taut was always perfect.

PS: insulation is an HG econ incubator 30, and an outdoorvitals 30 TQ. They have been doing great out here, even on nights at 30 degrees or maybe a little lower. Very unseasonably cold September here in Va this year.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Not all hammocks are the same. What is right for you and your ENO might not be the best setting for your Hennessy. Are they even the same length? The amount of sag and hang angle numbers are suggestions - places to start from - with incremental adjustments towards comfort.

You might try hanging with a definite dip in the ridgeline while you are in the hammock, then adjust to more snug and see if you find a good spot along the way.

At first I though you were saying you lots of experience in the Hennessy and it just now became uncomfortable. Now I see your experience was in another hammock, the ENO.

That taught you that sag matters, but the actually dimensions of the Hennessy setup will probably be different than the ENO; different hammocks = different geometries.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaronbagby View Post
    Guys, thanks for all this info. I’m unable to provide pics, as I suffered a gnarly shin splint hours after this thread posted. Shacked up for a few days until I can hike again. But yes, I have been pulling the whoopies until the ridgeline is fully taut. I always assumed this was correct, perhaps because I’m coming from years on an ENO that I modded with an adjustable ridgeline that, when taut, was set to my perfect sag. But now that I have a fixed ridgeline, I can see how this is not necessarily going to be right. I would love to see the Shug video you’re referring to if you can link it. The adjustable ridgeline was ideal for me, as pulling it taut was always perfect.

PS: insulation is an HG econ incubator 30, and an outdoorvitals 30 TQ. They have been doing great out here, even on nights at 30 degrees or maybe a little lower. Very unseasonably cold September here in Va this year.
    Here ya' go.....
    Hope you get a good and comfy hang out there.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    CRO Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'
    I've heard that you need the foot end much higher than usual in Hennisey hammocks, like 18 inches higher than the head end. You might be sliding into a ball.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
    "God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Never heard that extreme foot end elevation for the Hennessy. For the WB BlackBird - yes. But usually a GE foot end is more like 6 - 8 inches. And the Ultralite is less than 10 ft long - another lean toward less extreme foot end. How tall are you? I’d think 11 ft is the most common camping/sleeping hammock length with some in the 12 ft range and a bit more in the 10 ft range. If you are over 6 ft tall, the less than 10 ft Ultralite might be too small for you.

It looks like the ENO is even a few inches shorter than your Hennessy. it would be interesting to set the ENO up for your comfort spot, then, leaving the suspension alone, replace it with the Hennessy (or what ever it takes to do that - you might be using the Hennessy line instead of separate suspension). The idea is the get them as close as possible than make a tiny change because the Hennessy is just a tad longer.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast