Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks y'all! A little delayed in posting back. Not the tarp life, for sure!

I took my makeshift hammock and pad setup out camping Saturday night - Falls Lake north of Raleigh, at Shinleaf campground - after about 11 miles hiking. Of course, I've been playing practicing setting up in the back yard, but I went for reals!!

I dawdled in setting up, but got a decent hang. Used my sleeping pad, about 2/3 inflated. I'm sold! I usually wake up every couple of hours at least in a tent... I woke up at about 2:30 for 45 min or so and then again at 7 with the dawn. WOW!

I did feel some 'torque (how I thought of it)' on my knees with my legs stretched out. I tried to hang with the foot end closer to its tree, but I think I need to get closer still. Wish I coulda had another night out, but alas... work calls.
    Oh, it was prolly between 45-50 degrees, and I felt it on my shoulder and legs when they came off the pad/out of my quilt - even though I'm a hot sleeper... need an SPE!

IMG_20201003_190925294.jpg

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    I'm curious how long and wide that hammock is. It appears shorter than 11'. Once you upgrade to an 11'er and maybe go 58-63" on the width of the hammock, you may find the torque issue resolved. Definitely buy "The Ultimate Hang II" by Derek Hansen for his sage hammock wisdom. As stated prior by others, Shug also has a lot of useful info for new folks and some great hammock product gear reviews. Like Shug says, the hammock life is a process to getting "dialed in" for maximum comfort and minimum fuss. Enjoy the journey, but beware that once you fall into the hammock rabbit hole, there is no turning back....just sayin'!!!! It's a hole I didn't mind falling in to but it cost me a pretty penny. Money well spent, IMHO however for the ultimate comfort in the backyard or the backwoods. I'm sure if you message other members on HF, they will tell you what rig they use and also why they like it. Many of the cottage vendors also will be happy to talk to prospective customers to answer questions about their gear.

Hammock
    DIY GE 12’ Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    CDT Gemini DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopi slings
    Images
    Hello from Durham! I agree a longer hammock makes a big difference in comfort. Before you purchase another hammock, try adding a ridge line to your existing hammock. That helped me find a better hang on my shorter hammock while sleeping at an angle. Also, if you decide you want a longer hammock and want to get crafty, it’s fairly easy to sew a gathered end hammock. RipStopBytheRoll has a simple plan on their website. And you can order from them and pick it up instead of paying shipping costs. It’s a nationally recognized vendor for hammock and tarp fabrics, and they just happen to be on the east side of Durham on Hwy70.

Oh, I'm sure its not 11-feet, though I haven't measured, 'cause... I haven't haha. It certainly feels wide enough, though I wouldn't truly know. I've watched a good number of Shug's videos, and a couple of others, so I felt informed enough to give it a go. I want to be careful of the rabbit hole but I'm quite aware I'll want to upgrade. I'll be at Yates with this setup for a couple of nights (to make triple sure I'm in haha) so hopefully I'll see some rigs, and go from there.

Thanks everyone for your advice - and encouragement!!

Hammock
    Dutch Gear Hexon 1.7
    Tarp
    Chill Gorilla
    Insulation
    DIY EB Quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar
    My first was low cost Winner Outfitters from Amazon that I used for about a year. I used my old 30 deg sleeping bag and Thermarest sleeping pad as I learned how to use it and set it up effectively. I gradually upgraded to better hammocks, especially with the sale from Dutch on the 1.7 Hexon, and started making my own insulation. Equally as fun as the camping has been the learning to use and make the equipment.
    A day camping in the rain is better than a good day at work,
    --Shaw.

tsshaw78 is too hard to say on the trail - Just call me Shaw.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    11' WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    Beckett and EVOs
    Welcome from Durham!
    My boys and I (7 and 13) recently started down the hammock path ourselves. We have a few camps in the woods on the back of our property, and are currently dialing in our setups so we can stand the cooler weather. We're using cheapie Amazon hammocks right now, but I did buy a nicer hammock for myself... We're in the midst of making some underquilts/topquilts for ourselves which should make things warmer.
    Enjoy the journey!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12