Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Solo 6 Days in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness (BWCA)

Was able to get away for 6 days of Hammocking and Canoeing in the BWCA Wilderness
    Gear:
    Dream Hammocks Raven - love this and swear its comfier than my bed
    Zpacks 20 Degree Bag
    HammockGear 20 Degree underquilt 3/4 length. I've decided I'm bagging the 3/4 when temps drop. Just tired of trying to keep feet and legs warm. Called HG and put in big order for new gear
    HAMMOCK HEXAGON TARP from MountainLaurel Designs

Here's a quick youtube vid I put together
    https://youtu.be/xkaRpCkP0y4

Day 1 started in Pittsburgh and I drove 19 hours non-stop up to Kawishiwi Lake - EP37. I decided to take the route up through Upper Peninsula and glad that I went that route. Maybe a little longer but the scenery is much better.
    Route to Kawishiwi.jpg

Got a good sleep in the back of the Xterra and was ready for my trip the next morning. The weather outlook for the week was lows in the 30s and highs in the 60s, perfect weather!
    Got up the next morning and totally forgot that there was a time change. I thought that I was getting on the water a little late 0740hrs but as I put in the packboat someone who was going the same way said "getting out pretty early". Note to self: make sure to sync all devices!
    IMG_0493.jpg

I was on a mission for the day and that consisted of getting to the campsite I had scoped out and wanted. Contrary to all the hoopla on the paddling forums of labor day weekend and permits I found that I was pretty much alone for the next few days. After 6 hours I finally made it to Malberg Lake, my home for the next two days.
    Malberg is one the more unique lakes in that it has a sandy beach. There are others in the area.
    IMG_0516.JPEG

Last few hundred yards and I'm at home
    IMG_0507.JPEG

Large Glacial erratics deposited in the last ice age on the portage
    IMG_0591.JPEG

Sunset on Malberg
    IMG_0515.JPEG

After setting up my hammock and other gear it was time for dinner. Packit Gourmet! These are my go to mealso other than my own dehydrated ones. They are great and their customer service is awesome. I combine two meals for a kickass burrito.
    IMG_0540.jpg

Combined and ready to eat.
    IMG_0542.jpg

Bedroom with a view for the next two days
    malberg tent site.jpg

That night all hell broke loose and I wish I would of had a video. Winds were gustin upwards of 50mph enough to actually move my packboat a few feet. I checked the weather forecast but as in Pittsburgh, just wait 30 mins and the weather will change. I stayed dry and warm in my hammock. I should of known by the sunset that the beauty wouldn't last.

Next morning was pretty windy and I cleaned up the firepit and gathered wood for the upcoming night. Did a little exploring and fishing. Landed a baby pike.
    morning on malberg.jpg

French Pressed Coffee - gotta have it
    Z60_3459-Edit.jpg

Coffee.jpg

Cheese is a must on all my trip. I've never run into an issue even after 5 days. Goes great with my Chili and Homemade Spaghetti. If I'm out for more than 3 days I'm eating well. The spaghetti and chili I make for my trips taste as if it just came off the stove. They are simple to make, lightweight, and are delicious.

Gouda
    IMG_0575.JPEG

Spaghetti
    IMG_0543.jpg

Chili
    IMG_0582.JPEG
    Last edited by dantolz; 09-18-2020 at 13:58.

After two days on Malberg it was time to move to another site a few miles away. The goal for this trip was no so much as miles but just enjoying the scenary and getting away solo.

Pictographs on Fishdance Lake
    PIcto.jpg
    GoodPicto22.jpg

I had a beautiful site on the Kawishiwi River and even had a few guests.
    Local eagles
    eagle.JPEG

Home for two nights
    cAMPS-2.jpg

Looking up and down the Kawishiwi River
    IMG_0562.jpg

Bedroom
    HAMMOCK.jpg

Kitchen/dinning room for a few days
    dan by fire.jpg

Bathroom - this was something new to me last year in Algonquin. Beats squatting.
    IMG_0539.JPEG

Red face

Trip was coming to and end and again time to move. This time retracing my route and getting a site a few hours from the truck on Polly Lake. This was a 5 star site with plenty of tent pads, the only downside was the best site was not suitable for a hammock and I chose one a little off the lake

IMG_0595.JPEG

Another spectacular view in the BWCA
    IMG_0611.JPEG

Landing spot for my packboat.
    IMG_0609.JPEG

My last day was a little more relaxing. I decided to forego the fire and just read in the hammock. Nothing like going to bed as soon a the sun sets.
    IMG_0607.JPEG

The next morning was an early one and I wanted to be on the water by 7 and back at my truck by 11:30. Unlike my trip up I had two days to get back but need to be at least close to Chicago by 9pm (note: will not take that route home again). I had rushed getting in on my first day the I totally missed some good scenery. I made sure to stop and look around on the way back. Most of the area on the way back was part of a large burn. I'm sure in 20 years from now it will be spectacular (I'll be 70)

IMG_0633.JPEG

IMG_0623.JPEG

IMG_0630.JPEG

IMG_0505.JPEG

Damm Beaver Dams
    IMG_0593.JPEG

Back after 6 solo days. Why does everyone smell so good who walks by me
    Dan out.jpg

I need these in Pittsburgh. Cannot remember where I bought these on the way home
    IMG_0648.jpg

Things I'd change and I've put in some orders to HammockGear:
    I prefer a full length underquilt. I don't mind the few extra ounces in weight especially when canoeing/packboating
    I don't like a continues ridgleline for my tarp. Will change to something else. Time to watch more shugemery vids and find something else
    A true quilt. I'm using a bag from zpacks and it works but getting into the bag takes some finangling and after 3am pee breaks I want to just get back into the hammock. Order placed into hammockgear!

Knots. I have some fancy gear for tying off rope but found out that I really only need these 3 knots. Don't forget quality rope.
    Siberian Hitch
    Bowline
    truckers hitch
    Last edited by dantolz; 09-18-2020 at 13:17.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch and HG
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG quilts
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Great report and pics.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ridgerunner/ chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    Good read and nice pics. This is one of my dream trips. It’s just such a poke from south Florida toting a boat and gear the whole way. A couple days travel. And I’m afraid I wouldn’t wanna go home. I’ve never done 6 days solo. I start talking out loud to myself after a couple days. That must of been something else. And those are the three knots ya need. Thanks for posting. This could be the start of my planning. What pack do you use for your canoe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Pittsburgh, straight through. Hard core! Well done. I hate when people put too much thought into the drive time. I try not to myself. I mean what are you going to do? You either go, or you don't. I'd rather go every time and bag those great memories. OK, Florida though...that gets a pass

I'll be sleeping in my Jeep next week to start. Breaking up a 9hr trip; now I feel like a wuss!

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Wow! Great pics and writeup! Will checkout the video later tonight.

I don't like a continues ridgleline for my tarp. Will change to something else. Time to watch more shugemery vids and find something else
    I'm with you on that. I have the Dutch CRL with the Dutch clip and the Wasp with prussiks. Got tired of the prussiks jamming up and having to be retied. Plus, if I didn't reset the positions of the Wasp and prussiks on a multi night trip, I'd sometimes get to camp and have to fiddle with everything to get the tarp centered.

I switched to 2 Dutch Stingerz each with 12ft of zing it. Clip the Stingerz to the tarp ridgeline tie outs and run the line around the tree back to the Stingerz. To fine tune, loosen one Stingerz, take up the slack on the other.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    I love my Dutch Wasp. I even named him Roamer. He has to move around for every set up.
    Signature suspended

Quote Originally Posted by Saltfly View Post
    Good read and nice pics. This is one of my dream trips. It’s just such a poke from south Florida toting a boat and gear the whole way. A couple days travel. And I’m afraid I wouldn’t wanna go home. I’ve never done 6 days solo. I start talking out loud to myself after a couple days. That must of been something else. And those are the three knots ya need. Thanks for posting. This could be the start of my planning. What pack do you use for your canoe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Granite Gear, Quetico 5000 Portage Pack. I have a Hyperlite Mountain Gear 70 liter but I don't want to beat that to hell and back.

Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    Pittsburgh, straight through. Hard core! Well done. I hate when people put too much thought into the drive time. I try not to myself. I mean what are you going to do? You either go, or you don't. I'd rather go every time and bag those great memories. OK, Florida though...that gets a pass

I'll be sleeping in my Jeep next week to start. Breaking up a 9hr trip; now I feel like a wuss!
    It was roughly 1100 miles nonstop. I was pumped to get there and once I hit Duluth I knew I was almost there. My recommendation - Always download google maps for offline usage. The last 90 minutes of this was through backwoods dirt roads with zero cell reception.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast